Down Firing UM18 Ma...

Down Firing UM18 Marty Cube End Table  

RSS

Zarkoff500
(@zarkoff500)
Active Member Registered
28/05/2019 12:41 am  

Also posted in the inspiration gallery. Box is the 4.75 cft Marty Cube tuned to 20 HZ. Hemlock trim with mahogany veneer over MDF.  Satin poly with duratex baffle. Speakon connector. Legs give approximately 3" clearance and box is 27" x 25" x 27" and 150# so  a truck or SUV needed for transport. I am willing to demo movies and music. Have most of the good bass/surround sound movies of recent release or bring your own. I am selling this sub because it is too large for my house and plan on going with two manifolds with two IB318 v2's each.

UM18 MC baffle
UM18 MC Top
UM18 MC Side Resized

Located in Seattle. Will consider reasonable offers. 

7.7.19 update. Sold locally.

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/05/2019 12:47 am  

Good luck selling this.  If I lived closer I would consider it myself.  I do want to say well done!  You did a fantastic job on it.  I hope someone snatches this up

ReplyQuote

Zarkoff500
(@zarkoff500)
Active Member Registered
28/05/2019 12:57 am  
Posted by: 123Toid

Good luck selling this.  If I lived closer I would consider it myself.  I do want to say well done!  You did a fantastic job on it.  I hope someone snatches this up

Thank you sir! I hope someone snatches it up as well 🙂 Also thank you for starting this forum and providing a safe place for the DIY community.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
LionelC
(@lionelc)
Active Member Registered
03/07/2019 11:24 am  

I have two FI IB3 V2 18s in a manifold myself. For the low low end they are untouchable. But I am having a few issues that maybe you can avoid. First off, I didn't have a choice on locating the subs, they are on an adjacent wall, so open to my garage. I have a few dead zones in the listening area, (my living room) but mostly overcome them with more power. The biggest issue I have is listening to music with them. It sounds "good" but seems to lack dynamic impact? If that means anything? The get super low, not only shake walls, but my entire house. Great for home theater, but just seems to be lacking for music. Maybe I need a DSP to boost the say 100HZ to 40 HZ range? I don't have a mic or software to test the response, but plan to invest in some soon. 

Good luck with your new build, I do think infinite baffle is the way to go if your listening area is set up for it.

LionelC

20180819 190910[923]

ReplyQuote

Zarkoff500
(@zarkoff500)
Active Member Registered
03/07/2019 11:59 am  
Posted by: LionelC

I have two FI IB3 V2 18s in a manifold myself. For the low low end they are untouchable. But I am having a few issues that maybe you can avoid. First off, I didn't have a choice on locating the subs, they are on an adjacent wall, so open to my garage. I have a few dead zones in the listening area, (my living room) but mostly overcome them with more power. The biggest issue I have is listening to music with them. It sounds "good" but seems to lack dynamic impact? If that means anything? The get super low, not only shake walls, but my entire house. Great for home theater, but just seems to be lacking for music. Maybe I need a DSP to boost the say 100HZ to 40 HZ range? I don't have a mic or software to test the response, but plan to invest in some soon. 

Good luck with your new build, I do think infinite baffle is the way to go if your listening area is set up for it.

LionelC

20180819 190910[923]

Thank you for the info. I have done a lot of measurements in my room to determine the best spot. I have come up with three locations, two for dual manifolds and one for a single. It is likely there are some nulls at your main position, possibly at mid-bass frequencies. The only way to find out would be a measurement mic and REW.  

My understanding is to go easy on boosting nulls, but cutting peaks is ok. 

My build is a ways off. Once this end table sells I'll likely start with the single manifold with two of the Fi 18's.

ReplyQuote
LionelC
(@lionelc)
Active Member Registered
03/07/2019 2:36 pm  
Posted by: Zarkoff500
Posted by: LionelC

LionelC

20180819 190910[923]

Thank you for the info. I have done a lot of measurements in my room to determine the best spot. I have come up with three locations, two for dual manifolds and one for a single. It is likely there are some nulls at your main position, possibly at mid-bass frequencies. The only way to find out would be a measurement mic and REW.  

My understanding is to go easy on boosting nulls, but cutting peaks is ok. 

My build is a ways off. Once this end table sells I'll likely start with the single manifold with two of the Fi 18's.

So you plan on having 5 of the 18s total? Wow, my house can barely handle 2! But if you read at the Cult of Infinite Baffle site, many people use 6, 8 or even more.

Yea, there are some definite mid base nulls. I plan to upgrade my fronts to something I can bi-amp and get some of the mid bass back, just scheming on how I want to do that now.

LionelC

ReplyQuote

Zarkoff500
(@zarkoff500)
Active Member Registered
03/07/2019 3:04 pm  

I originally planned on two manifolds with two 18's each for a total of four. Now just one manifold with two. My Winisd modeling shows that two 18's should be plenty for my needs and the manifold will be six feet or less from the listening position.

ReplyQuote
LionelC
(@lionelc)
Active Member Registered
03/07/2019 4:40 pm  

I am running my two off a Crown XLi 2500, bridged at 8 ohms. Rated at 1500W bridged, but not sure what I am really getting. But it is more than enough to rattle every cabinet in my kitchen and make my windows flex like they are made from saran wrap, lol.  I am no where near the mechanical limits of the subs and I have never even turned the amp gains more than 60%.

I did have a power issue with my 110 having some noise and lights flickering and such. I ran two dedicated 30 amp circuits. Only using one at the moment but wanted a dedicated spare for when I run some more amps.

LionelC

ReplyQuote

Zarkoff500
(@zarkoff500)
Active Member Registered
03/07/2019 8:33 pm  

I double checked my Winisd model for a two drivers in one manifold about 5.5" from the MLP and it looks like I will be just fine in terms of output. I will be using a bridged inuke3000DSP @ 8 ohms and I don't think I will be able to hit mechanical limits with around 500-550 watts per driver at full tilt. I don't listen at more than about 90 db peaks so I should be ok. My house already protests to the Marty Cube so this should be a new experience. 

I think the crown amps are pretty accurate for their power rating. The Behringers are not 🙂 

ReplyQuote

Share: