Clear all

Active or passive crossover  

RSS

Mattreeves
(@mattreeves)
New Member Registered
06/09/2020 12:21 am  

Hi,

I have started an MTM build which may be changed into a small 3 way tower in the future. To avoid designing 2 different crossovers, I started thinking about an active crossover instead of passive. I thought this could be a good development tool that is more easily adjusted than a passive crossover. I have a few amps so cost will not be an issue for the power part of the active route. Are there any reasons not to try the active path and do you have any active crossover suggestions? MiniDSP was my thought but it sounds like they may have a noise issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Matt.

MarcoRuiz liked
Topic Tags
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
11/09/2020 3:03 am  

@mattreeves mini dsp will probably be your best bet if you think you are going to go three way.  

ReplyQuote
Mattreeves
(@mattreeves)
New Member Registered
13/09/2020 6:14 am  

Thanks. I went for Dayton DSP chip with 2 inputs 3 outputs. I will use 1 per speaker as the crossover. I tried it out driving 3 different drivers and and it’s works really well for this purpose. I also tried out the dsp function with sigma studio and that was very powerful. My plan is to use CSS audio or SB acoustics drivers so hopefully DSP will not be required. I have attached a picture of one of the cabinets. I will finish these off before I buy the drivers.

BBA530CF 58ED 4B6A B2F4 3CC1E6530517
556879E8 4543 4F98 9EF8 51C25209EA0C

@123toid

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: