Clear all

Dinas, but mono... HELP!  

RSS

Cabbagegod12
(@cabbagegod12)
New Member Registered
23/05/2020 5:07 am  

Hello everyone.
I’m planning to build the Dinas, but I had an idea of building just one speaker for my very small bedroom/possibly modifying it with a battery pack to make it portable but I’m struggling to see how I can do the wiring. In the original plans you only use one channel of the amp, because you’ve got a left and right channel, but in my situation I’ll only have one speaker and a stereo signal going into it and it alone. How do I wire it to play from stereo sources? I built a speaker similar to this before and since a lot of tracks have guitars only on one side for example it was very annoying to listen to, because essentially one side was missing 🙁
My initial response was to add another full range driver, that woud be the easiest, but I would have to essentially recalculate the enclosure which I don’t want to do. So, has anyone got any idea as to how do do this with wiring so I can keep the number of driver the same?

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
05/06/2020 1:33 pm  
Posted by: @cabbagegod12

Hello everyone.
I’m planning to build the Dinas, but I had an idea of building just one speaker for my very small bedroom/possibly modifying it with a battery pack to make it portable but I’m struggling to see how I can do the wiring. In the original plans you only use one channel of the amp, because you’ve got a left and right channel, but in my situation I’ll only have one speaker and a stereo signal going into it and it alone. How do I wire it to play from stereo sources? I built a speaker similar to this before and since a lot of tracks have guitars only on one side for example it was very annoying to listen to, because essentially one side was missing 🙁
My initial response was to add another full range driver, that woud be the easiest, but I would have to essentially recalculate the enclosure which I don’t want to do. So, has anyone got any idea as to how do do this with wiring so I can keep the number of driver the same?

I apologize, I was on vacation.  Let's see if I can help.  I would persoanlly just build the Dinas Boombox, which has a portable option.  But if you really want to build just one Dinas, you could.  THe easiest thing to do is bridge the rca inputs together.  You can do this either externally with a y adapter which has a mono male end or you could solder on the back of the plate amp.  Either would be acceptable.

As far as adding a battery pack, I would just add an external one.  Internal, might start taking too much area and affect the tuning.

But if you haven't got a chance, check otu the Dinas Boombox, I think it solves all your concerns: https://toidsdiyaudio.com/community/diy-speakers-diy-speakers/dinas-boombox/#post-3223

ReplyQuote
Cabbagegod12
(@cabbagegod12)
New Member Registered
05/06/2020 3:40 pm  

@123toid

Thanks for the reply!

I do feel a bit stupid because I glanced at the boombox before, but I Went for the Dinas as I initially planned on building them as they’re supposed to but the room I’ve got at the moment is only 2,5 metres long by 2,3 metres wide so basically the bed fits along the short side, with built in furniture alongside the long wall and to top it all the stairs box takes up 20% of the room as well making my room a glorified closet, or what I like to think, the next level up from Harry Potter’s stair closet. This doesn’t bother me, other than essentially eliminating any floor standing and overall most speaker builds not only because of size, but the shape of the room makes for quite weird acoustics. So, I changed plans and thought of building a single because it’ll be enough and won’t feel like I’m living inside very large headphones with drivers next to my face haha, and in case it doesn’t work in my room I could take it somewhere else, and make it portable but looking at the boombox now, I might as well build that instead.
Overall my problem is, that I can fit bookshelf speakers in that room, but they’re usually small and lack in low end. I’ve tried mordaunt shorts, Cambridge audio, mission and I’ve got some Krk monitors in there at the moment which have the ability to be equalised with a external microphone and they sound somewhat decent although not hifi, because they’re, well studio monitors. Believe it or not, I diy fit a sub in the room before, but it was impossible to find a good place for it without it sounding one note-y. That’s why the Dinas was appealing because of the small enclosure and bass extension. The only thing that sounds surprisingly good on one of the only free shelves I’ve got is the Marshall Stanmore speaker, which again is another point for the boombox because it’s quite similar in design. I’m going to play around and see, but everything points to the boombox instead. Ah well, lesson learned. The Dinas will probably be build for when I move into a nicer space. The joys of living in the UK. Thanks for the reply anyway, I appreciate you taking your time!

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
05/06/2020 6:18 pm  

Oh the joys of a small room. Sounds just a tad smaller than mine growing up, especially when I finally got my own room. 

I have made headboard speakers, really it was a soundbar long before there was such a thing (still have the drivers, yikes!). That would be my general preference, but since you say you don't want that headphone feeling...

How about a 45 degree box between the ceiling and wall, all along the opposite wall to your main sitting/laying/customary position in the room. That would be along the 2.5 M side, right? In that corner, if you made the 90 degree sides 150 mm, the box would be around 56.5 L. Healthy size for a single woofer, or split that in half for 2. You could just barely squeeze a 200 mm woofer on that 45 degree face. Probably need something a bit smaller in the magnet area, but still, it'd be a good size.

Just thinking out loud, and outside the box. 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: