Notifications
Clear all

Passive Crossover Design Needed

Bayilo
(@bayilo)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hello DYI Community!

Your assistance is needed to design a passive crossover for a speaker with 4 drivers (1 tweeter, 1 Mid, and 2 woofers). The design input files (frd, zma, REW measurements...) are attached below. The attachment contains a tweeter data file named A1, a Mid driver file named A2, and two identical woofers files named A3 and A4. A three-Way design is preferred, however a two-way design would also be welcome. The speaker must include/use all four drivers.

I am reaching out to you because I have hit an hurdle and can no longer proceed successfully. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @bayilo

Hello DYI Community!

Your assistance is needed to design a passive crossover for a speaker with 4 drivers (1 tweeter, 1 Mid, and 2 woofers). The design input files (frd, zma, REW measurements...) are attached below. The attachment contains a tweeter data file named A1, a Mid driver file named A2, and two identical woofers files named A3 and A4. A three-Way design is preferred, however a two-way design would also be welcome. The speaker must include/use all four drivers.

I am reaching out to you because I have hit an hurdle and can no longer proceed successfully. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

@bayilo

It sounds like you want us to design a crossover for you?  I am sure you could hire one of us to do that, but that isn't what this forum is for.  It is designed to help you as you are designing the crossover.  Look things over that we see as issues, ask you questions you might not have thought of, etc.  If you want to show us what you have so far and where you are stuck, that would be a good starting point.  You may need to post a few more times before you can post pictures though. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Bayilo
(@bayilo)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Here is my design:

ReplyQuote
Mistersota
(@mistersota)
Eminent Member Registered

@bayilo I'm going to be honest and tell you that those measurements probably aren't worth much. There is a ton of room reflection and I don't think they are all with the same voltage and distance. What drivers are they? The manufacture's generally will give frequency response and impedance graphs. You have to assume a few things, but they are generally good enough. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@bayilo

There's a lot going on here.  As stated you have quite a few room, reflections in the measurements, but if you want to keep those, I would start by figuring out your z-offsets. I can't tell if you have figured that in or not. 

This shows you how to do it all in xsim.

Once you have figured that out, we can go to step 2. 

P.S.  If the bottom woofers are going to play the same frequency range, you might as well measure them together. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
Jamas
(@jamas)
New Member Registered

Hello, first sorry for my english i am still learning (i mean still trying). I have question. My speaker is a full range TB W5-2143. When i connect this fr speaker with tweeter for better treble? Tweeter is Monacor DT-28N. I have Xsim and a lot of measuring, but am really done :(. I watch your videos (z-offset too), but i really dont know. Can someone please help me with crossover creating for me? Thanks...

ReplyQuote

Mistersota
(@mistersota)

@jamas How are you measuring the drivers? What mic are you using? Do you have them mounted in the cabinet? What software are you using?

Basically looking at the two drivers' specs and supplied responses, you'll want to cross the tweeter at around 2000-2500hz using a second-order filter. The tweeter will need an L-pad resistor network to control the tweeter level. 

Unfortunately, without the actual measurements, we can't make a good crossover network for the drivers. I could try using the manufacture's supplied measurements and attempt to account for baffle-step and other factors, but this forum is more about teaching others to do crossover work on their own.

Are there any specific questions you'd like help with?

ReplyQuote
Jamas
(@jamas)
New Member Registered

@mistersota thank you very much. Maybe that is what i need to hear. Because i have allready creating the schematic of my new crossover. No i dont have any of measurements hardware (mic and more), i know is necesary for perfect crossover, but i must work with what i have. It is 2nd Order Linkwitz-Riley with cut off 2000 Hz. I use xsim with C1- 5uF and L1 - 1.27mH with L-pad resistors down to 4dB (94dB have tweeter and 90dB have full range) R1 - 3 Ohm and R2 - 14 Ohm. I hope for good result, when i buy parts. Thank you again...

ReplyQuote

Mistersota
(@mistersota)

@jamas Are you using the factory-supplied measurements or just generic responses in xsim. If you want the best response you will need to use at least the supplied responses. Also, keep in mind baffle-step when making your calculations. Otherwise, you'll have a very treble-heavy speaker. you should also attempt to guess the time delay at which the woofer will be. Otherwise, you'll get poor summation at the crossover. Most woofers are 20-25mm behind the tweeter. If you have already done that then I hope it works out well!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Jamas
(@jamas)
New Member Registered

@mistersota I must using spl tracking software (in my options was VituixCAD). My speakers dont have any of *.frd, or *.zma data. Then i must create it manually. And next i sumulate that data it in Xsim. Ok i have question, how i calculate corectly or measure that dimensions of tweeter and fr (that diference betwen tweeter and woofer)? I use clasic flush mount baffle of both speaker, sealed box. Is from front to magnet, or front to cone? Or how?

ReplyQuote

Mistersota
(@mistersota)

@jamas To calculate the amount of delay to enter you really are going to have to guess without any frequency response measurement equipment. I would take the back of the woofer cone to the tweeter. The tweeter will be ahead of the woofer by that distance. You have to be aware that without proper measurement equipment you will be making compromises and won't be able to get anything perfect. 

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm pretty busy currently.

ReplyQuote
Jamas
(@jamas)
New Member Registered

Posted by: @mistersota

@jamas To calculate the amount of delay to enter you really are going to have to guess without any frequency response measurement equipment. I would take the back of the woofer cone to the tweeter. The tweeter will be ahead of the woofer by that distance. You have to be aware that without proper measurement equipment you will be making compromises and won't be able to get anything perfect. 

Sorry for the delayed response, I'm pretty busy currently.

Is ok man. Thank you for all of your advice. Is a lot for me. Now is my crossover ready, and sound amazing. Full range + tweeter sound more "crispy detail" :). I know is not a sound for profesional ears, but is very good. Again thank you...

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: