Notifications
Clear all

Peerless 1" ring radiator tweeter  

RSS

DIY Audio Guy
(@diy-audio-guy)
Active Member Registered
08/04/2020 2:28 pm  

I am thinking about using this tweeter in a two-way system crossed over to a dayton audio 6.5.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-xt25sc90-04-1-dual-ring-radiator-tweeter--264-1014#lblProductQ&A

the woofer I want to use is here:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ds175-8-6-1-2-designer-series-woofer-speaker--295-428

I thought I would check here to see if anybody had frd/zma files to plug into xsim or any experience using this driver.  I like the nice high-frequency extension on this tweeter and I think the ring radiator looks cool.  The woofer looks flat all the way up to beyond 2k HZ. 

I am also open to driver recommendations.  I want to keep the driver cost under $60 per speaker.  That is my only real goal.  I am just making these to make them and they will be paired with a sub woofer in a 2.1 system.  I have always wanted to give the $5.99 buyout 6.5 a try, but without frd/zma files to go with them I don't really want to design a crossover for them.

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
08/04/2020 8:10 pm  

Check out these 2 links, right here on 123TOID:

Forum post

Mentions a tracing program

Blog post

Recommends a tracing program.

They'll help if you don't have any measurement equipment, or have to rely on factory graphs.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
DIY Audio Guy
(@diy-audio-guy)
Active Member Registered
09/04/2020 11:57 am  

@tvor-ceasar

I was hoping somebody had already produced the files. 

I do have REW and a measurement mic, so I can do some of that once I have the product in hand.  But I want to model the crossover before I purchase so that I can make sure the components will work and I can purchase the crossover parts.  I don't keep a stockpile of those on hand.  So guess it get to learn how to use the tracer program.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
09/04/2020 2:41 pm  

Sorry I couldn't do any more than that. I didn't find anything other than what PE already had available. 

Just an FYI, both the FRD and ZMA files are nothing more than an ASCII file with X and Y numbers (and sometimes a second Y) where the X is frequency and the Y is either dB (FRD file) or Z -ohms (ZMA file), and the 2nd Y would be Phase on the ZMA file. I am not sure what it is in the FRD. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

If you want a look for yourself, just go to PE and download some files - I grabbed the Dayton Audio ND65-8, it was the first one I saw that had the files - and open them with Notepad or other ASCII editor of choice.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
09/04/2020 4:48 pm  

@diy-audio-guy

I would try FPgraph tracer first to see what it would look like.  It looks like the FS is around 800hz on the tweeter, so you should be able to cross it by 1600hz.  With that woofer you should be good crossing over by 2000hz,  It will give you a fairly narrow window, but should be doable.  If it were me, I would seriously consider a 3rd order on the tweeter. and probably a 2nd order on the woofer with a tank cap to lower the cone breakup. 

ReplyQuote
DIY Audio Guy
(@diy-audio-guy)
Active Member Registered
09/04/2020 5:03 pm  

@123toid

Tell me more about this tank cap.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
09/04/2020 6:42 pm  

@diy-audio-guy

Sure.  Here is the standard files Parts Express uses for the 5.5" Dayton Esoteric.  In the first picture, you will see a basic 2nd order filter (just a quick made up one). What you will see is you have a few problems.  The first is the peak at 2.3Khz and your first -20db point is around 5.7Khz (85-65).  This could lead to distortion.

2nd order

Now if we add a cap parallel to the inductor we can tank the response.  The size of the cap will determine what frequencies get tanked (typically a small window.  But adding this small cap, has flattened out that peak at 2.3 Khz and has dropped the -20db point to around 3.3Khz. and 5.7Khz is now over 35db down!  Which will help out with distortion. 

Tank Cap

It will also protect the drivers better and help you play them louder and sound cleaner.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: