Notifications
Clear all

Reference Theatre LCR Build Crossover

Spiral
(@spiral)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Toid,

Trust you are keeping well and staying safe.

I am working on Reference LCR build 115dB+... Taking home theatre out of HiFi and into Pro-Audio realm. The center channel is measuring well. I do believe the crossover can be further refined.

Below is the link to dxo file, would love to get your expert opinion on it:

<a href=" removed link " target="true">Crossover_Design_14-DEC-20v11.dxo

Needless to say I am a big fan of your videos. A big thank you for all your efforts in making the videos and sharing with the community.

Let me know what you think of the crossover.

Regards,

Spiral

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@spiral

Since you are new it won't let you post links.  However, I do believe you can post attachments or just PM me the link and I'll edit it and look at it.  But as of now, I can't see the link.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Spiral
(@spiral)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid done I have sent you in PM

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@spiral

Thanks I got it I'll repost and look at it tonight

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

There are a few concerns.  The first is the impedance is really low (around 3ohms and as low as 2.5ohms).  What do you have push that?  You are going to need a really high end amplifier to push that low of impedance, especially at movie levels.  I also noticed there are no offsets.  Are these manufacturers graphs or your own measurements? Without proper offsets, this crossover won't work as intended. 

ReplyQuote
Spiral
(@spiral)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the valuable feedback Toid! Yes I am powering these speakers with a very beefy external Emotiva amplifier so not really concerned on the drop in impedance. Also considering bi-amping the highs and lows separately same amp.

The subject of offset is tricky as you rightfully put it, I have checked both the manufactures graphs and my own measurements (the file shared with you included the manufacturers measurements).

Although, I wanted to get the crossover in the ballpark, build the enclosure and then take measurements - to fine tune the crossover as needed. This will take slightly longer and add to the cost but its ok.  

I just wanted to check with you if the 'ballpark' is decent as a starter. I should have the enclosures and components ready in another week or two, will share the graphs. 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@spiral

If that is the case, you definitely look like you are on the right path.  I look forward to seeing it progress.

ReplyQuote
Spiral
(@spiral)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Guys they are ready! 😀 

20210205 122257

LCR nephilim 21 side

20210205 122219

They sound is truly amazing, much better than I expected. In fact after demo with friends (with high end audio) they were blown away.

I decided to include non-inductive resistors, they came at a high price given I am in Dubai and S&H is quite steep but I must say well worth the money, there was a noticeable difference in the center channel which had sandcast resistors.

IMG 20210116 122525

(old picture of crossovers)

I prefer point to point soldering but really want to finalize the crossover prior to doing that, this way I can use banana plugs to unplug the crossovers and take them out of speakers. They are quite heavy and large (may not show in picture) the big one is around 8"x5".

I just moved to a new place so measurements will have to wait.

Just thought I would share with the community.

Regards,

Spiral

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@spiral

These look fantastic!  Any details on the build?  What drivers you used?  I love them!

ReplyQuote
Spiral
(@spiral)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123Toid thank you bro, it took me 6 months to try out different drivers share results on multiple forums and tweak the cross over.

I tried a few tweeters & midranges before finalizing the components… I mean I actually installed them and listened to them for as few weeks and studied the Fq response graphs; Emenence, PRV, Pyramid, Timpano.

I really wasn’t feeling it, until my friend gave me DS18 component set (6.5” midrange and tweeter) you would think these pro-audio components wouldn’t perform based on the price tag but I have to say I was blow away, they measured decent but sounded great!

Despite the risk of beaming I went with 8” midrange driver DS18 PRO-X8.4BM matched with DS18 PRO-TW120B, the woofers were a no-brainer (based on a lot of positive feedback on forums) I went with Dayton Audio PA255-8 10", I am not planning on driving them below 60hz as you can tell from the pictures I am running around 3k w rms down to 26hz (using mini dps for bass management).

I have the L/R hooked up to a 2 channel Emotiva amp (300w rms per channel) while the center channel is bi-amped utilizing 2 out of 5 of the channels, rest are unused (190w rms per amp).

The sound quality is unbelievable and it’s all thanks to communities such as yours that are out to help and support people with their hobbies.

I have friends/coworkers actually offering me insane amount of money to buy the set, not just for the sound but for the finish – in Dubai we don’t have Duratex paint so I had to study the chemicals and made my own paint with matt white/orange peel finish (the picture doesn't do the finish justice).

I will try to get some more pictures of the back and share with the community, the darn things are very, very heavy to move around 19Kg per tower (42lb) probably due to layering the inside of the .75” MDF with epoxy resin.

The real break came in when my friend of old with kanta 2 said ‘this is magic and cheating’.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: