Notifications
Clear all

DIY ICEPower vs Dayton Audio amp  

RSS

Luftfeder
(@luftfeder)
Active Member Registered
01/12/2019 10:03 pm  

Has anyone compared the Dayton Audio Dayton Audio Apa150 amplifier against building a similar DIY using a similar power ICE amplifier? Worth making one or just buy one? ICEPower 2x170

•  

Topic Tags
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
09/12/2019 6:13 am  
Posted by: @luftfeder

Has anyone compared the Dayton Audio Dayton Audio Apa150 amplifier against building a similar DIY using a similar power ICE amplifier? Worth making one or just buy one? ICEPower 2x170

•  

I thought for sure I already answered this.  I am sorry, I must not have ever hit save.

A few things to keep in mind, that 2x170 is only one module, meaning if you want it to be stereo, you would need two of those modules, which would double your price. It would actually be cheaper to do the Ice 200asc and  the 200ac module.  Having said that, I have not ever  done a direct comparison with that exact amplifier.  But here is what I can say.

I love Dayton amplifiers and eve SMSL.  They typically make fantastic amplifiers for the price.  Having said that, the Ice have, in my experience, been better (excluding of course the SMSL amplifiers that use Ice modules).  Is it worth making an Ice amplifier?  I guess that is really up to your end goals.  If you want one of the best amplifiers you can build for sound quality.  Then, yes it is worth the money.  But if that is not your goal, then I think you will probably be happy with the Dayton. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: