Ghent Audio XLR to RCA DPDT Switch Wiring Diagram  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
02/12/2019 4:57 pm  

@ctbarker32

I actually e-mailed him about it as well.  It would appear he would create a custom wiring unit just for it.  I guess not.  I was disappointed not to hear back from him.  He has, in the past, been really good about getting back to me.  It is possible he is more on the amp manufacturing side and less on the electronic technical side.  Either way, I am glad we got you squared away. Special thanks to @tvor-ceasar for being an awesome forum member and a great a person!  We hope to see more of you around here  @ctbarker32

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
02/12/2019 9:08 pm  

Thanks Nick. I'm just a fellow enthusiast that likes to share and help whenever I can. 

@ctbarker32, let us know how it worked out for you.

In case you were wondering, the dashed line from the shield to wire 6 indicates a connection "if needed" / optional. Since it is balanced, keeping the shield separate from the device signal ground prevents the possibility of a ground loop.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
03/12/2019 1:16 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Great point.  HypeX actually recommends grounding it to the case if you have a ground loop problem. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
03/12/2019 8:05 pm  

@123toid

Reason being is the case is usually tied to earth ground while your signal ground may be at a different potential (not overall circuit 0 volts). Ideally you should tie to a similar ground as the source. 

Easiest way to determine which is best is to use a small alligator clip jumper wire and try the different grounds to see which is quietest. Then make it permanent.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
13/12/2019 11:59 pm  

@ctbarker32

Ghent finally did get back to me.  This is how he recommends wiring it.  He did mention he doesn't typically do this, since these are DIY projects.  I thought, it was a kind gesture to show support to you guys and the channel by providing this.

BTL Sample wiring

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/12/2019 1:05 am  

@123toid

That's the wiring for the RTX Module. You can see that by the P2 designation and the header pin count. My sketch is for the input section on the Ice Module itself. Check out the datasheet on PE's page.

Start at page 3 for a familiarization of the pins and headers. (Note: all AGnd (Audio Ground) pins and the PGnd (Power out Ground) pin are tied together. It is best to keep any audio grounds tied to the same pin (6) in order to minimize any interaction with other circuits along that bus.)

Page 4 gives the header specifications. Page 16 starts the features available via the pin connections. The information on how the Balanced / Unbalanced input works is on page 19. This is how my diagram is wired.

If you do not use the RTX module, use my  diagram. If the Ghent RTX module is used, then use his supplied diagram.

There are 3 RTX boards. They are: RTX, RTX-A, and RTX-B.

Why would you use any of them? Let's see.

The ICE board inputs can be either balanced or unbalanced, and maintain approximately 10K ohm impedance over the audio band. (See above)

RTX provides 6 dB of gain while maintaining 10K ohm impedance.

RTX-A, 0 dB gain, 10K ohm impedance.

RTX-B, 0 dB gain, 100K ohm impedance.

If you need more gain at the input, use the RTX module. The RTX-A module doesn't offer anything more than what the ICE board already provides, so IMO, not necessary here. The RTX-B offers a higher input impedance. Presumably for older gear? You'd have to verify the need by looking at the individual gear's specifications.

That's my analysis of the situation.

A big THANK YOU to Ghent for supplying the connection sketch for the RTX boards. I haven't looked for their datasheets, so it saves a lot of research time.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
14/12/2019 1:15 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Thanks for that thoughtful information.  I did know this was for the RTX module, it states it right at the bottom.  But I figured it would be nice to have all the information in one spot. 😊  I agree, it doesn't seem necessary, but if you bought it, you might as well know how to hook it up, lol. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/12/2019 2:39 am  

@123toid

Yepper! And it is definitely different than the ICE board. Wouldn't have known how without the proper info.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
EvilGnome6
(@evilgnome6)
Active Member Registered
27/06/2020 11:41 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Thanks so much for providing this sketch! I'm building a pair of ASC200-MXR Monoblocks and it would have taken me ages to figure this out.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
EvilGnome6
(@evilgnome6)
Active Member Registered
27/06/2020 11:43 am  

@ctbarker32

Did you get your build completed with this wiring? How did it turn out?

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
27/06/2020 12:01 pm  

@evilgnome6

You are quite welcome. I'm happy to help out wherever I can.

Like I stated above that sketch, this all came from the user manual and the pages listed. Of course it wasn't clear cut, but all the bits were there. You just have to do a little detective work to piece it all together. I will admit that a sketch similar to mine would have gone a long way toward clearing it all up.

**Note to Manufacturers - Clear and concise instructions and diagrams for all options of your product go a long away to elevating your company above the rest.

Just saying..

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
EvilGnome6
(@evilgnome6)
Active Member Registered
30/06/2020 5:55 pm  

Here is a drawing of how I ended up wiring the RCA/XLR switch on my ASC200-MXR. I'm pretty sure this is the same logical diagram but I think it shows the physical arrangement a little better for a novice.

ASC200 MXR XLR RCA Switch

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
30/06/2020 8:46 pm  

@evilgnome6

Yep, same layout, slightly different view. As long as it makes it easier for someone to do, then I'm all for it. 👍

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: