Sure DSP amplifier ...

Sure DSP amplifier boards  

Page 1 / 4
  RSS

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
Trusted Member Registered
27/06/2019 4:52 pm  

Well, I bit the bullet and am going to give this a whirl.  I've ordered 2 amps, the JAB2-50 and the JAB3-1100 along with an interface kit for the Digital Signal processing.  There are a couple of YouTube videos from Sure/Wondom showing how it's done but they are really vague IMO. Hope I can figure this out, if not, may need some help guys.  From what I've researched so far, there's a free software from Sigma Studios I'll need to download in order to do the DSP programming.

If this works like I hope, should open up a lot of opportunities for others to try in their projects if they like. My initial project is a 2.1 set of desktops that somewhat mimic the Boenicke W5's. For some reason, I've always been enamored with that design and think it would be fun to do a DIY version with a slight twist, Active instead of Passive.  Active will allow me to take full advantage of the small form factor without sacrificing what the drivers are capable of doing in a much larger proper enclosure. I've attached a screenshot of the order from Sure in case anyone else wants to join in on this fun.  Also a pic of the Boenicke W5 for reference.  My plan for the cabinets is a translam layup, seems like the obvious choice to incorporate the mid chamber and port if I go the ported route. Updates to this thread will probably take a while guys but I'll try to keep you informed as I move along. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Sidemounted 2 way
Sure Order

123Toid liked
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
27/06/2019 4:57 pm  

Here's a picture of the inside of the Boenicke W5 for reference.  I'll be adding two amplifiers to an already cramped enclosure, sounds like fun.

9 grande

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/06/2019 2:45 am  

Kevin,

I love this project and responded back to your PM.  Sorry it took a while.  One of the craziest weeks ever.  But I am with you.  I have always been enamored with the Boenike W5.  What I find fascinating as well is their frequency response and simplicity of the build.  If I remember correctly, the only use 1st order crossovers on all their drivers.  And they build their enclosure out of two chunks of solid wood.  I love everything about those speakers.    

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
28/06/2019 9:36 am  

Thanks Nick!  Just a heads up for the rest of the guys, Nick and I have talked in a PM and we are going to do this project as a collaboration.  Between the two of us, I now feel much more confident we'll be able to achieve the W5 clone so to speak. Although it may look similar, I believe it will actually outperform the Boenicke version by quite a bit! Should be a fun yet challenging project and I'm looking forward to it! Hope you guys enjoy following along, all input is welcome.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
30/06/2019 3:06 pm  

Will be following this, at least for the coolness factor. 

Kevin, quick question, you aren't perhaps from SE PA, at least when you were a kid? I went to school with someone of your name.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
30/06/2019 4:58 pm  
Posted by: TVOR-Ceasar

Will be following this, at least for the coolness factor. 

Kevin, quick question, you aren't perhaps from SE PA, at least when you were a kid? I went to school with someone of your name.

Nope, been in Texas all my life. I did spend a Winter in Iowa back in the late 80's. One Winter there was enough to convince me to high tail it back to Texas, lol. I'd rather deal with the heat then the cold.

Hope you enjoy following along. This thread will probably be more about the Sure amplifier boards and how to program the DSP settings into them. We'll start another thread later for the speakers. 

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Estimable Member Registered
30/06/2019 7:09 pm  

Well then, glad to meet you! Have extended family in Texas, plus that's where my in-laws are interred. One of my favorite magazines hails from Rockport.

I'm definitely interested in learning about the DSP boards and how to maximize their use. I'm currently running all analog except for initial source(s). Sounds like a good time to get started. 

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
30/06/2019 8:28 pm  
Posted by: TVOR-Ceasar

Well then, glad to meet you! Have extended family in Texas, plus that's where my in-laws are interred. One of my favorite magazines hails from Rockport.

I'm definitely interested in learning about the DSP boards and how to maximize their use. I'm currently running all analog except for initial source(s). Sounds like a good time to get started. 

Nice to meet you too.  We'll post some updates as soon as we can, stay tuned! 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
02/07/2019 12:41 pm  

@Kevin-Kendrick I noticed you bought the ADAU1701 and not theICP3.  Unless I am missing something, you only need toe ICP3 to DSP the Jab3 boards.  You need the ADAU1701 for other boards.  It isn't the most clear. Let me know your thoughts.

Edit to include Vide:

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
02/07/2019 1:08 pm  

Nick, I'm not 100% positive, to be honest. Near impossible to find more information on their website. They reference some documents but when I go to the "download" tab of their website, nothing comes up. I haven't been able to completely figure out which boards you need, if not all of them. The ICP3 works with a phone app they offer and it has Bluetooth built into the board as well for programming it with the app. I'm under the impression the ADAU1701 is the primary board required to re-program their DSP amps and the ICP3 is an optional "In-circuit" board that one could dedicate to a design to have the real-time flexibility to make changes on the fly with the phone app. However, like I said, I'm not 100% sure and this is definitely "case in point" that they are doing a terrible job of promoting what could be a fantastic product.  Everything is so vague, even with the videos. And without the possibility of being able to download some more literature from their site, it's going to be a game of hit and miss until we figure it out. Sorry I couldn't be more help man.

BTW, to prove how confused I am, I tried later to go back and buy the ICP3 by itself. The website wouldn't allow me to do it, not sure why unless they have a minimum order qty required. If you decide to go ahead and get it, buy 2 of them if they'll let you and I'll PayPal you for the extra one, thanks.  

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
02/07/2019 1:47 pm  

Perhaps we should email them for clarification. I've tried again today, it still won't allow me to buy the ICP3 by itself. The only way you can buy it is to purchase the ADAU1701 and buy the ICP3 as an upgrade.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
02/07/2019 2:40 pm  

I di email them, but won't hear back until later tonight.  I'll see if I can get any clarification.

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
03/07/2019 10:44 am  

@123toid

Just giving you a heads up Nick. They are out of the 100 watt mono boards and it will be 2-3 weeks before they have them produced again. They asked if I could wait. I replied and asked if they could replace the mono board with one more of the JAB2-50. Hope to hear something back late this evening. I'm primarily interested in getting one of the amps as soon as possible in order to start learning what's required to program them.

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
05/07/2019 10:26 am  

Did they ever reply to your email Nick?

They responded to mine and will be replacing the mono amp with a JAB2-50. Said they would be shipping out within 24 hours.  Guessing I'll have my stuff in 7-10 days.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
05/07/2019 3:51 pm  

@kevin-kendrick They did and are sending me an ICP3 board.  THey had to do a paypal invoice to set it up.  Funny thing, I think they were getting us confused in the e-mails.  Because they told me they were out of the mono board and it would be 2-3 weeks.  I was really confused I why they told me that.  I reminded them, I only wanted the ICP3 for now, lol. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register