Sure DSP amplifier boards  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
Trusted Member Registered
06/07/2019 2:19 pm  

@123toid

Nick, I forgot to ask. Did they clarify whether the ICP3 was required to re-program the chips on their amplifiers. Came across another thread on the web and it looked like the guy was only using the ADAU1701 along with the extension board like I bought.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/07/2019 4:24 pm  

No.  I tried asking them, but they just weren't understanding.  I think it is possible.  But iI guess we will find out.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/07/2019 4:29 pm  

@kevin-kendrick according to this video:

You need the ICP3 for thei JAB boards and the ADAU1701 with extension board for any other amplifier.  At least that is what it looks like.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/07/2019 4:34 pm  

Finally found a better video.  Here is one where he goes through it around 3:30. 

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
06/07/2019 4:40 pm  

@123toid

Yep, I've seen it and agree that if you were using another brand of amplifiers, like the Dayton KAB's, the ICP3, ADAU1701 and extension board would be required.  I'm still of the impression that only the ADAU1701 is required to use the Sigma software and reprogram the chips on the Sure JAB amps.  Like you said, we'll figure it out once we have some parts to play with.  Did you order any amp boards or only the ICP3?

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
06/07/2019 4:49 pm  

Sorry @123toid, you posted that last video link while I was still typing. I've only watched a couple of minutes of it so far and it looks like he may have been using some of their first generation stuff. The ICP3 didn't have Bluetooth and the ADAU1701 now looks completely different from what he has.  Oh well, I'm going to go ahead and order one of the ICP3's, better safe than sorry.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/07/2019 4:58 pm  

Ah I see.  We are both in agreement.  They really need more clarification on their end.  It looks and sounds like their JAB3 boards already have the ADAU1701 built into them, which is why you just need the ICP3, 2 or 1 or any of those to communicate with the computer and the board. but It looks like, as you said, the ADAU1701 can hook up as well.  So it really seems like either could be used with a JAB3 board.  I am still unsure on the JAB2 board.  If it needs the ADAU1701.  It doesn't mention it being built-in, so it just might need that.  

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
18/07/2019 9:11 pm  

@kevin-kendrick

I saw this today and was thinking it might be helpful:

FIR Filter Guide

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
19/07/2019 11:19 am  

@123toid

Yes, very interesting stuff Nick.  Hoping my ICP3 gets here soon, I've already cut and built a test cabinet for some new desktops and am looking forward to playing around with the amps capabilities. This first pair will be using all SB Acoustic drivers, the 4" Ceramic and the new SB21 tweeter which is getting rave reviews by everyone that has used them. I would post a picture of the prototype but the "Max file size" is now 2K, not sure how to get my pictures formatted down to that size.

ReplyQuote
CAP
 CAP
(@cap)
Eminent Member Registered
19/07/2019 2:53 pm  

With my short use and history of the Sure boards, I can't say I was happy with the quality/price of the board overall. I'm going to shop around a bit in the future when it comes to boards and compare. 

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
19/07/2019 6:05 pm  

@cap

I'm no expert by any means, but at first glance, these boards look to be very well built.  They may be using inferior parts in certain places, I wouldn't know simply because of my ignorance of the components required.  Will say all of the soldering looks good, packaging was professional and service has been great so far.  As for negatives, if I had to name any, SURE seems to be having difficulty communicating or conveying everything needed for this particular application and the marketing for this DSP line of boards is marginal at best. You can't even order all of the parts required directly off their site, Nick and I both had to email to order the ICP3's. 

IMO, it should be a product that's on fire (sales wise) but there's just not enough information available yet to get more guys hooked. Hopefully Nick and I can figure some of it out so we can share with others who might be interested in taking the plunge.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
20/07/2019 6:43 pm  

Well I got my ICP, but no amplifier.  I looked up the shipping and it states nothing new from the 3rd.  So it looks like I'll have to contact Sure.  Yuck. 

ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
20/07/2019 9:27 pm  

@123toid

Bummer. Looks like we both have one half of what we need and can't move forward.  I have an extra amp if you want to borrow it for a while to start playing with the software. Let me know.

I think my ICP3 should be here early next week but I'll need to double check the tracking for updates.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
20/07/2019 11:54 pm  

Yeah.  They really dropped the ball, but they have been good about getting everything straightened out.  So hopefully, this will be a minor bump in the road.  I am just glad it wasn't for a large quantity shipment 😆  I emailed them and am hoping to hear back from them tonight.  Hopefully, they can just ship another order out soon.  It seems fairly clear it was either never dropped off or it was lost.  I'll see what they have to say. 

ReplyQuote

topcms
(@topcms)
Active Member Registered
22/07/2019 10:45 pm  

@kevin-kendrick

Hi man, I have also started a plan on building a speaker system with the ADAU1701 DSP form Wondom. I've been looking for a few days now and there is this ones guy on youtube that has done some work. If you can get a hold of him, he might help you out.

removed link ;t=1263s

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4

Share: