$3500 Speakers for ...

Notifications
Clear all

$3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Inspiration

Page 14 / 15

chewbrocoli
(@chewbrocoli)
Eminent Member Registered

Hey guys,  just finished making myself speaker stands.. all 3 fonts...

20210216 071648
20210216 071716
20210216 200447
20210216 200500

Tnkman, PaulF757, TVOR-Ceasar and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@chewbrocoli

You are killing it over there!  I love the stands.  Now you are just putting the rest of us to shame 😉 Seriously well done!  I always look for3ward to what you do. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Active Member Registered

Got enclosures cut out. Fronts laid out. Crossover boards cut. We cut 5by7 inch from the 3/4in mdf board. Im hoping that's enough square inches to build the xovers but small enuff to get in the holes. Im thinking install them on the floor of the mids compartment. We'll cut in mids and horns tomorrow as well as buld port. I'll buld xovers this weekend. Still waiting on horns from PE. It's coming together quickly now. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Active Member Registered

Starting to seek advise on alternative horns/waveguide. They pushed the backordered date back again now until April. Ive looked at alternative sourcing without any luck as well. Being a novice and just some googlefoo res research makes me think that I want to stay close to the depth as possible as well as the length and width. I found the B-52 phrn-15 to be close. Which may change the width of my port to match that I can make up in height. I know it's not going to sound exactly the same. Ugh

Compromises in the era of covid.

Screenshot 20210218 032711 Chrome

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

I believe the JBL part #338800-001 is an exact replacement for the Dayton Audio.  They sell these numerous sites for around $20-$25. 

Although, I am having a hard time finding it's exact size and fitting, which is why I can't say for sure. 

*on second look it might be too deep to work properly.  I'll keep looking

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote

PaulF757
(@paulf757)
New Member Registered

@chewbrocoli

Those look awesome, great job.

ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Active Member Registered

@123toid

I believe the Pyle ph612 is another knock off of the jbl waveguide. I ended up finding 3 at 13 bucks free shipping so I took a chance. Their depth is 4.4 inches and the Dayton is 4.25 so im praying they fit. Other dimensions are really close as well including throat. The Pyle isn't in production anymore so this may not be a good resolution going forward and who knows I could have been scammed out of 45 bucks. We'll see.  

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9 that looks perfect.

ReplyQuote
Splinter
(@splinter)
New Member Registered

Hi Guys!

I'm planning to build three of these for the LCR of my home theater. Currently using Klipsch R-26F for my fronts which are not bad for movies (lacking clarity) and an Elac Line CC 241.3 for my center. I have two 5" matching Klipsch reference bookshelf speakers for surrounds and two Paradigm H series speakers in my ceiling. An SVS PB1000 handles the lows, but I'm planning to replace that with a DIY Sealed Ultimax UM-18 22 sub. All that being driven by a Yamaha Aventage 3080.

Pretty excited to start down the road of DIY audio, the main draw is the performance to dollar ratio. The matching LR to my current center are $6.5K and as far as I'm concerned, I can build every speaker in a full DIY 7.1.4 for that money :). The woodworking side will be a fun easy project, I've made a couple electric bass and a couple electric guitars, as well as a speaker cabinet for one of my amps. In fact half the stands and miscellaneous furniture in my office were built by me. 

Right now I'm at the ordering stage. I live in New Zealand so shipping is pretty killer. 6x of the FaitalPro drivers along with 3x of the horn drivers from Parts Express is looking to clip me $308 USD just for shipping. Such is the way being a small island nation. The cross-over parts and the waveguides I'll be able to get from Australia so shipping will be (slightly) cheaper.

I'll post some updates in several weeks once parts have arrived and I've begun construction. I'm currently looking to buy my first house so it's possible the project will be delayed a little.

Cheers

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

etmike99
(@etmike99)
Active Member Registered

@123toid What about these to replace the Dayton horns? 

Specs look very close to my untrained eye, and they have plenty in stock at parts express currently. 

Thoughts? Thanks!

B-52 PHRN-15 1" Horn 12.5" x 6" 1-3/8"-18 TPI

https://www.parts-express.com/B-52-PHRN-15-12.5-x-6-Plastic-Horn-Waveguide-299-2309

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@etmike99

I wouldn't use that one, but the Pyle ph612 that @lionhrt9 mentioned, looks to be the exact replica of it.  I would look for that one.  Parts Express does not sell it, but you can buy it on the internet. 

ReplyQuote

etmike99
(@etmike99)
Active Member Registered

@123toid Yeah, I’ve been looking for the Pyles too and haven’t had much luck, even on eBay. No biggie, I don’t need to build the speakers immediately so I’ll keep searching. Thanks. 

ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Active Member Registered

Posted by: @etmike99

@123toid Yeah, I’ve been looking for the Pyles too and haven’t had much luck, even on eBay. No biggie, I don’t need to build the speakers immediately so I’ll keep searching. Thanks. 

April 9th for the waveguides restock on PE. Im still waiting for shipping confirmation on the pyles I found buried in the web. We'll see if I get them.  Damn covid. 

Made some headway on my build!

20210227 181251
20210227 181247

Center channel and 2 towers. Got iso100 sub enclosure built also.

20210227 181258

ReplyQuote

Splinter
(@splinter)
New Member Registered

@lionhrt9

I like your idea of building the speakers with stands included. I was planning on making independent stands, but you've given food for thought.

123Toid and lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 15

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: