Notifications
Clear all

$3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Inspiration

Page 15 / 19

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Eminent Member Registered

@splinter

That came out of me looking at speaker stand prices! MDF is way cheaper. Lol.

ReplyQuote
etmike99
(@etmike99)
Active Member Registered

@lionhrt9  I know.... I just need to stop being impatient! 

Love the look of your speakers with the stand. Bass enclosure looks great too!!

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote

Splinter
(@splinter)
New Member Registered

Just ordered all the parts for three speakers! Will probably be a few weeks before everything arrives.

What did you guys use to line the inside acoustically? I was thinking of picking up some foam bed toppers but am concerned it wont be dense enough. Proper 'acoustic' foam panels can start to get pricey quick.    

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@splinter

That is my go to.  Go to Walmart or equivalent and buy an inexpensive foam topper.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

smordooch
(@smordooch)
New Member Registered

Hi, 

I'm new to this speaker's world and really like your channel and builds...

I would like to build these speakers to my electrical drums & guitar & piano (I guess I'll also need to build a subwoofer - next to do...)

Due to my lack of knowledge, I have some questions:

1. Will these fit my target (small band)?

2. What about the upper part of the port, between the tweeter and port. Does it need some extension?

3. Why the brace side next to the port is only 3" while the opposite side of the port is 7.25"? Shouldn't they be the same?

4. Can I put inside some sponge over the walls instead of the foam suggested?

5. It will be great if you could recommend a good DIY subwoofer for my purpose.

ReplyQuote
GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Active Member Registered

@smordooch

I stand to be corrected... but this speaker build is intended for home theater, movie sound track. They provide very clear voices... dialogue. I suspect there are better dyi projects geared toward use with a band.  Parts Express has a wonderful selection of knock down kits, and 123TOID may also have plans available for other... Certainly some of the more knowledgeable will chime in. I just didn't want to post my question without acknowledging yours. 

@ 123TOID or whom ever may know 😉

I've a pending layout for the crossover, but am uncertain if the coil layout is alright. There's lots of room under the board, so wiring won't be a problem... which brings me to question two: does it matter how the wires run... if they cross or pass under... I suspect that so long as all is insulated it doesn't... but will defer to the expertise of those more experienced. I'm just a hack with a soldering iron.

Many Thanks!

edit 3/11/21: removed pic of pending. pics of finished board with final coil placement will follow

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@smordooch

If it were me, I would build the Soundstage 15.  That is really what they were designed for.  And honestly, some of the best sounding speakers I have heard 2 channel.  And with these, you probably wouldn't even need a sub. Might be a better alternative. 

@GrumpE1 you are correct.  They are really clear, but not really the intended use.  As far as the crossover goes, that looks great.  You might have been able to orient the small inductor where the resistors are.  It is a little close to 1.0mH, but it should be okay.  I'm liking the layout!

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
smordooch
(@smordooch)
New Member Registered

Many Thanks everyone, you definitely enlighten me !!!

I'll check the link you provided.

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Active Member Registered

@123toid

Thank you kind Sir! 

That chart you'd posted was enlightening. I found and scoured the site it originated from, but all demo's and references are to air core. My tendency is to over think things, and in the absence of info to the contrary... what, if anything would be different with an iron core? Figured it best to follow the same guidelines as for air core... then ask  😉 

Your suggestion is a good one. There's a boss under the board at that spot, and it was just a little more convenient to layout as shown... but I agree with you and will break out the Dremel. A pic of the finished board will be posted when it's done.

I've found a source for some horns! Not the Dayton... but some out of production Selenium HM25-25's. Cast aluminum works really well for me...lol. Guess it's the timeless feel of metal. A touch of anti-seize on the threads and the next generation can re-use them when they're rebuilding the old boxes scored at my estate sale. Anyway, Parts Express pushed the 'expected' date into April for the Dayton's and I'm moving slow enough without having more delay.

Now, time to get that Dremel...

ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

@grumpe1 mind sharing the source for the waveguides? Im still waiting on the source I found which I now believe was a shady deal and am attempting to reverse charges. Lol.

I was also just notified by PE the backorder date was moved till may 7th now. Ugh.

ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

I just found them in France. Lol. 30 bucks a piece shipped. 2 week's.  Oh well. Better than may 7th. 

ReplyQuote
GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Active Member Registered

@lionhrt9

You did well then. Mine were 34 shipped (48 pr & 20 shipping).

FWIW they came thru B&K Enterprises. Michael Crites, critessales@gmail.com his site is:  Critesspeakers.com

I don't know his inventory, but it's worth an ask if anyone else runs out of patience... they shipped promptly, were well packed, and payment is via paypal or credit card.

ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

Posted by: @grumpe1

@lionhrt9

You did well then. Mine were 34 shipped (48 pr & 20 shipping).

FWIW they came thru B&K Enterprises. Michael Crites, critessales@gmail.com his site is:  Critesspeakers.com

I don't know his inventory, but it's worth an ask if anyone else runs out of patience... they shipped promptly, were well packed, and payment is via paypal or credit card.

I emailed mike and he does have those HM25-25 in stock but those aren't not replicas of the JBL/dayton h6512s so had to pass. The French connection actually shipped so im thinking that may be an answer for some folks looking as they are the actual 6512s for 30 bucks shipped. Im asking about their inventory for anyone interested. They did tell me that the manufacture had some kind of break down causing the long back order time so that and covid is causing this. Audiophonics is the name of the French store in case anyone else is interested. 

More progress photos. Finally primed. Finish coat will be dark grey. 

20210310 172829
20210310 172859

GrumpE1 liked
ReplyQuote
GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Active Member Registered

@lionhrt9

You're correct. The Selenium horns Mike has are not identical to the Daytons. They're 90x60 and cast aluminum and the Dayton are x50. The KL-650's use a horn that's x60 and the specs seemed close enough (stand to be corrected)... In any event, glad you got what you were looking for.

The boxes are looking great. I'm jealous of how quickly you're moving along. Am looking forward to seeing them finished and hearing what you think.

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

Posted by: @grumpe1

@lionhrt9

You're correct. The Selenium horns Mike has are not identical to the Daytons. They're 90x60 and cast aluminum and the Dayton are x50. The KL-650's use a horn that's x60 and the specs seemed close enough (stand to be corrected)... In any event, glad you got what you were looking for.

The boxes are looking great. I'm jealous of how quickly you're moving along. Am looking forward to seeing them finished and hearing what you think.

Im holding my breath till they are in hand. Lol. Like anything else I guess this is my 1st project and I'm in the deep end. At first taking this on I thought final project in couple weeks. Ha. My crossovers are a joke compared to some ive seen on here but they work. Cabinets im pretty happy with. I thought i was going real slow but kinda been bound to delivery schedule. Im not rushing as each step im not sure what to expect outside of toids vids. This sites been and will be a huge resource. One cabinet fell when painting the other so ive got a corner to fix tomorrow before 1st coat. The main reason I like the diy aspect is everything is fixable. Well almost everything and if something goes wrong I'm more equipped to problem solve as I'm the one building the damn things. More updates this weekend. 

20210310 172911

ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 19

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: