$3500 Speakers for ...

Notifications
Clear all

$3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Inspiration

Page 19 / 19

PaulF757
(@paulf757)
Active Member Registered

@tnkman @green-chemist thanks fellas, the JBLs have been ordered.

ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Eminent Member Registered

Posted by: @123toid

Alright, I know that there has been some issues sourcing the waveguide, so I am thinking of changing it out.  In other words designing it with a different waveguide.  Of course the crossover will most likely change as well.  Here are the two best candidates.

Faital Pro Tractrix: This is the same type of horn that Klipsch uses on most of their speakers. It is more expensive, but is made from aluminum instead of plastic.  With this, I would probably also switch out the compression driver.  If I did this, I would also design a rear speaker based off the Klipsch Cinema speakers KPT-800M.  It would use the same waveguide and compression driver. I haven't decided on a compression driver, but I am thinking of the Celestion CDX1-1445. It's been used in quite a few DIY builds and is reasonably priced.

The Eminence Biradial horn: A biradial horn is similar to a constant directivity horn, so it should work well in a home theater application.  There are two versions of this.  With this one, I could still use the JBL compression driver in the original.  Having said that, when I design the surrounds, I do still plan to use the Tractrix.  Also, this has only a 40 degree off axis response when turned sideways.  This means that you will probably want to run these the opposite way they were originally designed.  Although, I already recommend this for those with larger, wider living spaces.  And yes, the crossover will still be redesigned.

So in conclusion, The Tractrix would match the rear surrounds I am going to build, but would add some more cost to the build.  The eminence would be similarly priced as before, but would lack the off axis, so it might end up being best placed with the wider directivity.  It also would not match the rear surrounds when I design them.  Thoughts?

Tractrix hands down. What im afraid of is getting to the point in redesign and configuration changes you end up with a new speaker or years from now confusion about v1 vs. v2 sort of thing. Just sucks about the sourcing part for the original and as I read I feel more and more lucky. 

PSA I dialed in my avr for stereo plus sub which in my case is 3 kl650 up front. Blew me away at 85 or so db listening to some sample home theater music. Crystal clear and surprising mids. My denon keeps trying to cross them over at 60 and 40 hz. I always run them at 80 as that's how the xover was designed. 

ReplyQuote

cristidumi
(@cristidumi)
Active Member Registered

@123toid

The idea of redesign it not bad, but I only hope you are keeping the Faitals for the midrange. Those I already bough (10 of them). Initially planned to make 5 of them but if you design the rears like the KPT-8000M I will be left with two which most probably could use in a ceiling(atmos) setup speakers.

I am curious for the new plans. I am also willing to pay for those.

Thanks again for the hard work and interest in building these plans.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@cristidumi

Thank you. Yeah if I redesigned them, which it sounds like I'm going to. I will use the same fatal pro drivers for the mid range. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Jngonzalez
(@jngonzalez)
New Member Registered

@123toid crazy question... what about using the kartesian drivers?

ReplyQuote
GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Active Member Registered

PE pushed the due date on the .22mH air coils which have been back ordered along with... *sigh* Thankfully, they'd sent enough of my order to complete the two xovers I'll need soon. Picked up another pair of HM25-25's so as to be able to duplicate what's being built. Have settled into a 'get it while we can' mind set.

As if this pandemic hasn't done enough to the parts supply chain... the prices at Home Depot have left me in awe. Granted, the last time I'd bought a sheet of plywood (cdx 1/2") was $18... now it's 50. A quarter sheet of 1/2" MDF was $18. A can of paint stripper $17... I'm grateful for the inspiration gained from this site. It's good to be making dust and thinking again... just need to get dialed into the new normal.

ok, enough grumping for now. Time to get back to the baffles

ReplyQuote

Green Chemist
(@green-chemist)
Active Member Registered

Posted by: @grumpe1

PE pushed the due date on the .22mH air coils which have been back ordered along with... *sigh* Thankfully, they'd sent enough of my order to complete the two xovers I'll need soon. Picked up another pair of HM25-25's so as to be able to duplicate what's being built. Have settled into a 'get it while we can' mind set.

As if this pandemic hasn't done enough to the parts supply chain... the prices at Home Depot have left me in awe. Granted, the last time I'd bought a sheet of plywood (cdx 1/2") was $18... now it's 50. A quarter sheet of 1/2" MDF was $18. A can of paint stripper $17... I'm grateful for the inspiration gained from this site. It's good to be making dust and thinking again... just need to get dialed into the new normal.

ok, enough grumping for now. Time to get back to the baffles

@grumpe1 I had the same problem on the Dayton inductors.  I eventually just cancelled the Dayton's and bought the 0.22mH ERSE's.  They were in stock (as well as the Jantzen's).  A couple bucks more, but my build was stalled without them.

ReplyQuote
Tnkman
(@tnkman)
Active Member Registered

So I’m ready to router my horn. What is the best way to get the corner’s round? I have a plunge router and straight bits plus the 6 bit rabbet router bit

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

@tnkman

I've been holding off on saying this, but with the proliferation of 3D printers and CnC machines, you'd think that someone would be able to measure one to make an appropriate file for those machines. 

As for me, I'm still a mallet and chisel kind of guy...

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

123Toid and Tnkman liked
ReplyQuote
Tnkman
(@tnkman)
Active Member Registered

My wife bought me a digital plunge router. Maybe since I can adjust the speed I’ll just free hand it.  I’ll use a guide on the straight parts and take it slow on the corners.  Worse cause is they will have character. Who’s going to see them in a dark room anyway’s.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@tnkman

If you want, I can make a template for the Dayton waveguide if needed. You'd just need a template bit to follow it. I'm sure it could be made cheap. Not are on shipping. 

ReplyQuote
Tnkman
(@tnkman)
Active Member Registered

Im good thanks though 

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Active Member Registered

@green-chemist

If it were just the two coils... but there's more and all told, it'd be $20+ more if I opted for their in-stock items. Besides, it's a conspiracy... to sell off their more expensive inventory 😉

@tvor-ceasar

"...I'm still a mallet and chisel kind of guy..."

Amen! and if the little mallet doesn't work, we get the big mallet out.

Table, radial arm saw, router & table... sold off many years ago. There's only so much space, and if things aren't being used enough...then they go so as to make room for others. Now, it's just a skill & jig saw... and of course, mallets & chisels. Things can get crude at times... but it gets done..lol

1 box
2 cheat
3 glued
4 united

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Alright guys, I have two options for a replacement tweeter for the new waveguide.

Peerless: https://bit.ly/3s8yqBQ

or

B&C: https://bit.ly/3tlkC8B

The B&C looks to be the better driver, but is fairly more expensive than the Peerless.  It would add about $40 to each speaker.  However, it might end up saving some on the crossover, so some of that could be negated.  But without knowing that for sure, it would add $40 more to each speaker.  Keep in mind the waveguide is already more expensive.  However, this should be a really nice upgrade to the current setup either way.

So here is the breakdown: adding the peerless is around $60 more per speaker

The B&C would be around $100 more per speaker.  

MY Thoughts - The B&C would be the best hands down.  But the best does come with a price increase.  Is that increase something you guys would be comfortable with?  For a pair, the new price would be around $550 using the B&C (guesstimate). Thoughts?

Whatever is decided upon will be the same compression driver and waveguide for the rear surrounds.

ReplyQuote

Page 19 / 19

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: