Emotiva: Shop Now

$3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Clones  

Page 2 / 6
  RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
17/09/2020 1:30 pm  

There have been a lot of questions around why the waveguide is turned 90 degrees.  I thought this was a really good question.  As this was cloned from the Klipsch Kl-650 design, I wanted to share why they originally designed it this way.  From my understanding, it was to reduce room interaction with multiple speakers and increase direct sound.  I'll attach a PDF from on the test bench with some of their thoughts as well.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
18/09/2020 2:38 am  

@imcokeman

The secret's in the glue.

ReplyQuote

hyfynut
(@hyfynut)
New Member Registered
19/09/2020 1:21 am  

@pwarren3030 If you have a look around the Google you'll see that THX is the brainchaild of Tomlinson M. Holman. It is a strict set of specifications at least where speakers and amplifiers are concerned that should give you a particular level of sound output/quality in a given sized room. If memory serves THX ultra was the top/largest room spec with different THX designations like "Select" given to amps and speakers for smaller rooms. It's quite fascinating and atleast with speakers and amplifiers it was a very good indicator of quality design. As far as video products and the various features in Home theater Receivers it was much less successful.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
20/09/2020 6:46 pm  

@hyfynut

It's too bad the THX standard really never caught on.  Don't get me wrong, it still exists, but it never really seemed to gain the traction, I felt it really deserved.  I think part of the downfall was the cost associated with getting it certified.  It is/was very expensive.  And it seemed many consumers didn't care about it.  You really only find it in high end gear now.  I was personally hoping you would be able to find it more abundantly than it is.  Just my two cents.  Maybe someone else has some more knowledge on it.

ReplyQuote

ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Trusted Member Registered
21/09/2020 4:37 pm  

So I get that these are designed as flush mount behind a screen, against a wall but, any thoughts on if it could have a matching MTM center or what that could look like?  I guess the vertical horn sort of throws off the concept, and making it horizontal defeats the matching acoustics.

Disclaimer: I've been in the forum long enough to know a couple things, but have yet to actually do a speaker build myself =)

ReplyQuote
rolx
 rolx
(@rolx)
New Member Registered
21/09/2020 8:29 pm  
Posted by: @imcokeman

So I get that these are designed as flush mount behind a screen, against a wall but, any thoughts on if it could have a matching MTM center or what that could look like?  I guess the vertical horn sort of throws off the concept, and making it horizontal defeats the matching acoustics.

^This. What would you use for the center? Since these would be FL removed link Also trying to think what would match these properly for the rest of the surr (L/R/RL/RR) and atmos ceiling speakers.

ReplyQuote

rolx
 rolx
(@rolx)
New Member Registered
21/09/2020 9:34 pm  
Posted by: @rolx
Posted by: @imcokeman

^This. What would you use for the center? Since these would be FL removed link Also trying to think what would match these properly for the rest of the surr (L/R/RL/RR) and atmos ceiling speakers.

Looks like Klipsch was using a second L as the center channel.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/09/2020 10:08 pm  

@imcokeman

Klipsch kept the center the same as the front left and right.  My understanding is they are attempting to keep the direct sound to the listener.  It probably also has a little to do with not having to design another speaker just so someone can buy the "center" version. I still need to build a center channel, but I will be using probably the right design, as it fits my space better. 

Another note all together.  I was watching Tron Legacy last night. Of course, I had to try out the grid scene. In that scene, one of the programs crashes and Flynn is trying to get back his...what do you call it...thing that turns into a light cycle.  Anyway, Clu kills him, just before he can give it to the program.  Right when he does, they focus on Clu for a second and he let's out this very maniacal laugh. It might just have been a while, but I don't remember eve hearing that before.  It was very clear.  

ReplyQuote

Remy.Alexander
(@remy-alexander)
New Member Registered
22/09/2020 4:32 pm  

Ive been trying to do this exact build minus the woofers. I have a few other ideas in mind but I might just have to do this if mine wont work.  Any chance of sharing the FRD/ZMA of the JBL? Ones im finding online are unreliable-

ReplyQuote
ekh
 ekh
(@ekh)
Active Member Registered
22/09/2020 6:33 pm  

Thank you so much
It is wonderful. I hope you will finish the center until I build and I have a question about whether the mid-range connection is parallel.
What happens if woofer mid bass is added as 3 way

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/09/2020 7:51 pm  

@ekh Great call.  I forgot to add a second driver in series in the crossover schematic.  I just updated it.  The Faital Pro drivers will be in series to each other.  This makes the two 4 ohm drivers a nominal 8 ohm load.  Thanks for catching this.  If you notice anything else, let me know.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/09/2020 7:54 pm  

@remy-alexander

I can provide it.  But just keep in mind that it probably won't be any good for simulations for two reasons.  First, it is only going to good in this waveguide.  Second, I didn't take the measurement at 2.83v.  The SPL will be significantly less when you start modeling it.  Which will affect how you use it in the crossover.  Honestly, I don't think it will do you any good.

ReplyQuote

ekh
 ekh
(@ekh)
Active Member Registered
22/09/2020 8:30 pm  

@123toid Thank you for your interest. I am following you until the end, just waiting for you to finish the design, until I apply it and release your name on it 😉  

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/09/2020 8:39 pm  

@ekh The design is finished.  I don't plan on doing anything more to this design.  I will be coming out with more designs of course, but nothing to do with Klipsch KL-650 clones.

ReplyQuote

Remy.Alexander
(@remy-alexander)
New Member Registered
22/09/2020 8:48 pm  

@123toid Thank you, I will be using the same waveguide as listed. I was just going to test on crossing points with woofers I have sitting in my closet. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 6

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: