$3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Clones  

Page 4 / 6
  RSS

ekh
 ekh
(@ekh)
Active Member Registered
26/09/2020 5:41 pm  

I have a Faital PRO 8FE200 8 "4ΩProfessional old drive, would it be a good alternative to the FaitalPRO 6FE200 4Ω?

ReplyQuote
chewbrocoli
(@chewbrocoli)
Active Member Registered
27/09/2020 12:54 pm  

Hey, great job with the kl-650 clones ! I'm getting ready to build them myself.  Just wondering if those speakers can get loud,  reference loud without a hitch?  I currently have a full definitive technology bp7006 setup,  in wondering what I would benefit from building those klipsch kl650 clones....

Thanks man

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/09/2020 12:46 am  

@chewbrocoli

Great choice in speakers.  I actually used to have the Def Tech BP2000TL's paired with the CLR3000. Fantastic speakers.  You gotta love the built-in subwoofers.  Part of, can it play reference well is how big your room is and how far away you are sitting.  These are definitely more sensitive than the Def Tech's and should be able to reach reference easily in a room the def tech's are.  A couple things to keep in mind though.  First, they have a narrower dispersion by design.  This helps them not interact with the other speakers in the room.  That is a good thing, but might sound different at first, since you aren't used to it.  Secondly, they are not full-range like your def techs are.  These are designed to be crossed over by about 80hz.  So if you are looking for more full-range like what you have, these are not it.  These you will definitely want a subwoofer with. These are designed for more clarity and dynamics.  I recommend if you do build them, build three.  One for each of your front sound stage. I hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
chewbrocoli
(@chewbrocoli)
Active Member Registered
28/09/2020 6:50 am  
  • @123toid
  • Thanks for the info.  Yeah I'm looking for greater dynamics and clarity for movies.  As for subwoofer, I have 2 diy monsters using dayton audio titanic 15" mk3 and dayton ultimax 15-22. Shown in the images is the subwoofer with the titanic mk3 15". 
  • Screenshot 20200910 101555 Photos
    20200907 180752
    20200921 055226
    20200921 055214

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/09/2020 3:37 pm  

@chewbrocoli

Sweet!  That is awesome!  A friend had a new old stock Dayton Titanic 12.  We ended up building him a box out of those.  I can't remember for sure, but I think Eminence designed those subwoofers.  They are excellent.  It looks like your television is huge!  It might just be the picture, but it looks really big. 

If that is what you are looking for, then I think you would be good building these.  I am using them in a terribly less than ideal setting.  I have 10' ceilings, completely open in the back and left hand sides. and yet, it still fills the room nice. Heck I sit about 16 feet back and audyssey still trims the speakers down. 

ReplyQuote
chewbrocoli
(@chewbrocoli)
Active Member Registered
28/09/2020 3:47 pm  

@123toid

Hmm I'll probably build those kl650 clone then,  as I want more dynamics.  The TV is a 85" samsung Qled Q90.. pretty nice TV..  I'm running my subwoofers with jbl plate amplifier pulled from some jbl es250p subwoofers 400w rms/ 700w peak.  They get the job done nicely. I'm currently finishing my second subwoofer , same cabinet , different driver,  i will be using the ultimax 15-22. Cabinet size is 46" H x 25.5" D x 22.5" W, using 1" MDF all around and 1.5" front baffle..

20200828 145649
20200828 150958
20200828 151038

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/09/2020 3:52 pm  

@chewbrocoli

Nice, that looks like a great combo!  I knew it was a large television.  It's amazing to think that we can have an 85" flat television.  I remember when they were first comin out and the Pioneer 50" plasma was over 10K.  And LCD's were typically 32" and smaller.  Looks like you will have plenty of screen and bass.

I just finished my 15" build.  I used a PA driver though.  Should have the video out this week. 

20200924 163126

ReplyQuote
chewbrocoli
(@chewbrocoli)
Active Member Registered
28/09/2020 3:56 pm  

@123toid

Nice ! Can't wait to see your videos,  what PA driver are you using?  I was going to build a V.B.S.S subwoofer using the dayton audio PA460-8 18" driver.  But I decided for movies I was better off with 2 of my monster subs... they dig deeper !

ReplyQuote

chewbrocoli
(@chewbrocoli)
Active Member Registered
28/09/2020 5:27 pm  

@123toid

How do you like your klipsch kl650 clone compare to other speakers you had in the past,  I'm looking for more of a theater/ imax sound,  with great dynamics, very clear dialog and crystal clear highs. For bass duty,  I'm all set.... You shared a image of the crossover, earlier in the thread,   have you made any modification to it since? 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/09/2020 8:59 pm  

@chewbrocoli

Definitely.  And there is some huge advantages of using PA drivers.  With them being so sensitive, you don't need nearly as much power to get the SPL you desire.  On top of that, because of that, you aren't have the drivers use nearly as much excursion, which helps give it cleaner bass (ie less distortion).  It is interesting, because you hear your sub less, but still feel it's effects.  I am using the Dayton PN395-8.   Tuned to about 35hs, but the F3 in room is about 23hz. So you truly get full-range of sound, which is really nice.  I did hook up the DSP-LF in order to protect the woofer (highpass) and to dsp it flat.  

As far as the clones go.  I can't do an AB comparison, since I don't have the Def Techs anymore.  On top of that, they were in a completely different house/room. So it is hard for me to definitively (See what I did there) say.  Plus, I am probably a little impartial.  Here is what I will say.  To my memory these are the cleanest clearest speakers I can remember hearing in my home theater.  There are things I hear now, that I don't remember ever hearing before.  Or if I did, I had to turn on the subtitles to pick it up.  And they are my favorite speakers for Home Theater as such.  Here are a few examples.

Tron Legacy: light bike scene.  Near the end of the scene, one of the programs gets knocked off his bike.  Flynn grabs the wand to give it back to the program.  Right before he does, Clu comes by and kills the program.  For a glimpse it focuses on Clu on the bike, and he lets out this evil laugh.  I don't remember ever hearing that.  And if I did, then it must have been very faint.  Most likely due to the dynamics.  I actually rewound it, to listen to it again.  Was that really in the scene?  Sure enough, there it was clear as day.

Matrix: Elevator scene right after destroying the lobby. This one, I know the first time I watched it on my Klipsch setup, I had to turn on the subtitles.  By the time I had my def techs, I knew what he said, but I still remembering it being hard to hear. Neo, looks up at the top of the elevator and before he shoots the cable he whispers, "there is no spoon."  Now it's possible I have just gotten used to this scene, but once again, I don't remember it being as clear as it is on these.  

It just seems every time I watch a movie I hear something I didn't hear before. It could be environment, but since I have had other speakers in there, I point to the speakers.  I have started going back through some of my favorite movies to re-watch them (last was Prometheus - sounded phenomenal).  I will be making at least one more.  I am considering using these for rears as well, since I really enjoy them.  

To quote my friend Caleb, "They are loud, but they are so clear." Which is nice that they have that range. He went on to say they are the best speakers he's heard.  Keep in mind, he is not an audiophile by any means.  But he does love movies. 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
28/09/2020 10:19 pm  

Alright. I asked my wife what she thought. Her answer is quite simply, these are the best speakers she's heard in this room. If that helps.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
29/09/2020 2:33 pm  
Posted by: @123toid

Alright. I asked my wife what she thought. Her answer is quite simply, these are the best speakers she's heard in this room. If that helps.

If that's not WAF, I don't know what is!

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

erievon
(@erievon)
New Member Registered
29/09/2020 4:28 pm  

Great Build. Your build instructions are fantastic as I am new to diy speaker building. Are you going to make the surrounds? I am very interested in this build and see that they have the KL-525 for surrounds. They dont look to hard to build, I am just not real advanced on using Winisd to get the proper Hz for the surrounds, I like to keep am of my speaker from the same manufactor and not to mix them.

Thanks to anyone who might have built these already.

Maurice

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
29/09/2020 10:56 pm  

@erievon

Klipsch used the KS-525 for surrounds.  The Kl-525 were just smaller front speakers.  You can use the front speakers for surrounds though.  SO if you wanted to keep it all the same, I would suggest just building all of the first design.  Switching to a 5.25" woofer over a 6.5" isn't going to save you really anything, maybe $10-$20.  SO there is no reason to build a 525.  

I am in the process of coming up with a design of a rear surround, but it will not look like the KS-525.  

ReplyQuote

MarcoRuiz
(@marcoruiz)
Active Member Registered
06/10/2020 4:04 pm  

@123toid Hi Nick, I think @erievon refers to the model of the picture below, which is different. What do you think about it? Would be possible to recycle the cross over design and use some tweeters in paralel or serie (I don´t know... just thinking in loud). The benefit of this design is the compact size since is a sealed box.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: