$3500 Speakers for $350? Klipsch KL-650 Clones  

Page 5 / 6
  RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
06/10/2020 10:22 pm  

@marcoruiz

That is the KS-525.  I don't plan on designing those right now.  There's a lot going into that and the cost for a build like that is fairly high.  You now need two of the JBL tweeters and two waveguides, already jumping the cost to over $120 more than the KL-625.  I am in the process of designing a rear speaker that can also act as an atmos speaker, just not in that particular design.  It would mirror more of what you would see when you go to a traditional movie theater.   

MarcoRuiz liked
ReplyQuote
jcorneiller@hotmail.com
(@jcorneillerhotmail-com)
New Member Registered
07/10/2020 8:26 am  

Hello. I have a question about the crossover for the kl 650. The crossover is a bit beyond my knowledge of building them. I was hoping someone has a clearer drawing or sketch of the crossover with soldering points, etc... any help would be great. I have two enclosures built, but am stuck on the crossover. Thanks again.

Jim

ReplyQuote

MarcoRuiz
(@marcoruiz)
Active Member Registered
07/10/2020 7:34 pm  

@123toid got it, sound a better approach Nick, just do your magic and surprise us!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
erikcantu
(@erikcantu)
New Member Registered
13/10/2020 3:23 pm  

I was just about to pull the trigger and buy 5 sets of parts to build these speakers, and saw the 8.2uf capacitors are sold out, the replacement for the 7.5uf original suggested part.

This is my first speaker build. I am competent with building, I have a good sized woodshop, and can solder repairs on my equipment. Something like this from scratch is new and I'm excited.

@123toid Is there a suggest replacement for the capacitor?  Also I had spoke to you on a thread on Facebook about more beginner friendly instructions/plans/diagram for the crossover. Is that something you can create and post. I'd be happy to pay.

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
13/10/2020 10:48 pm  

There are several versions of both values listed as in stock or about to be in stock. You should be able to order tomorrow.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Pascal
(@pascal)
New Member Registered
14/10/2020 3:05 pm  

Hi, I stumbled upon your youtube build videos and binged a lot of them this week. I would like to build the speakers above, and sourced all the parts but the tweeter (JBL d220ti). I can't seem to find these local (Europe) and shipping from the US adds a fair bit to the price. Are there any substitutes I could use? Many thanks for the plans and all the great info in the videos.

Thanks in advance!

Pascal

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/10/2020 10:39 pm  

Have you looked for the same part number but under the Selenium name? When looking for cross references, the web refers to them as JBL/Selenium. Just make sure you get the correct impedance.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
BetterWithBeer
(@betterwithbeer)
New Member Registered
19/10/2020 2:07 pm  

I've been looking for an "Ikea" build, this may be just the ticket.  Goal is to build a speaker cube that I can slide into the two end of the cabinets for Ikea Besta TV furniture (tried to link, link auto removed).  Would simplify the build and help with WAF. 

Anyone see any issues with using this kit of parts for a potential build to slide into the cabinet?

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/10/2020 3:40 pm  

@betterwithbeer

No.  In fact, that sounds like a really cool idea.  

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
19/10/2020 5:22 pm  

That's the way it used to be done. Owned quite a few consoles - have one sitting on the porch at the moment - that'll be another adventure all together. As a matter of fact, another member did almost what you are looking to do, except his base furniture really was a console stereo.

Are you looking to put them in the 2 end areas, leaving the 2 center openings and drawers/doors for regular use? Yep, you could totally do that. And if you could use the IKEA facing in the pack, that'd make it almost seamless. For the bass, you could do a long, thin module to sit underneath. Maybe painted black. 

Sorry, when an idea starts rolling in my head, it tends to spill out. I'd say go for it. Measure the inside volume of the 2 cabinet areas and check against the volume in this thread. If it's big enough, you can build it thicker inside to make the whole thing really rigid.

As to the link being removed, you'll need a few more posts before they'll be allowed. Keeps the auto-spammers at bay. It like 5 or 10 posts. You can hit that pretty easily.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

erikcantu
(@erikcantu)
New Member Registered
19/10/2020 10:56 pm  

I just placed an order for parts with PE to build 5 of these speakers. Wish me luck.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/10/2020 11:09 pm  

@erikcantu

That is awesome! I can't wait to see the builds! 

ReplyQuote

BetterWithBeer
(@betterwithbeer)
New Member Registered
21/10/2020 10:34 pm  

@tvor-ceasar - Thanks for the feedback.  I'm lucky enough to have three center blocks and two additional ends for a total of five.  Right now the electronics sit in the center section and I'm using the other two center sections for storage.  Most likely the sub will be an end-table style build.

I'm toying with the idea of using the Ikea cabinet doors to hide the speaker fronts when not in use, but that seems to defeat the purpose.  Once I build them we'll never turn them off! 

PS: This started with a drawing that tried to fit the "Elusive 1099s" into one of those cubes.  Its so very close, but the parts aren't currently available. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
21/10/2020 10:48 pm  

@betterwithbeer You're welcome. What is the name of the IKEA piece you are going to use? I'm wondering if it would be easier to affix the fronts permanently and make the access from the back. Keep the rattling down, and you could get some nice sheer material to cover the fronts of the drivers/horn to up the WAF.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

BetterWithBeer
(@betterwithbeer)
New Member Registered
21/10/2020 11:08 pm  

@tvor-ceasar - Its a "Besta" TV unit.  Part number 102.998.77 on Ikea's website.  I have attached a matching box on each end.  I'll look at rear access, not a bad thought.  Initial plan was to slide a cube in from the front so I could just slide it in when done.  I'll put together drawings this weekend to see how everything fits.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: