Build ideas  

RSS

Master of none
(@master-of-none)
New Member Registered
28/05/2019 7:50 pm  

I'm new to building speakers,  but not to building.   I'm looking to build some speakers for my college bound son.   These will go in a dorm room with 3 guys, definitely not looking to make audiophile speakers.  Something with good sound,  good bass,  and capable of handling some power. (remember 4 guys,  college,  they need to be able to play pretty loud for extended periods).  

123Toid liked
Rook_Woodworks
(@rook_woodworks)
Active Member Registered
29/05/2019 1:11 pm  

Hey Master-of-None,

It wasn't too long ago that I was in a similar situation. My wife plays violin but listens to music on her laptop, the live quartet vs the laptop speakers is a pretty pale comparison. I built her a 2.1 from Dayton gear. I had not been introduced to Tiod at the time so I purchased a plan from KMA. Electronics are from parts-express. I'm also a builder and the box was part I knew how to do. The dimensions for the box are from his instructions, A moved the port to the front and dims came to 7-3/4" x 9-1/2" x 5" (Fremont Kit, 4" mids & 5/8 Tweeter). The .1 is a 6.5" down firing sub kit from Parts Express.

The system lives in a 300 sq/ft (-ish) room and is more than enough. I run the system off the Dayton DTA2.1 BT2. at 60W/ch it has more than enough juice and I find that I don't turn the volume much past the 10 O'clock position (i'm also not in college and my volume requirements are different). This system is a fairly small package and fills the room very nicely.

My requirements for the build were based around string instruments. The lowest note on an upright double bass is 41Hz. The little 6.5 sub gets down to 45 before it rolls off so I still get the base that I am looking for if not as full.

I'll post pictures in the near future. I'm happy with the build but I've fallen victim to wood movement. my fault for not seeing the defect in the front baffle when I made it.

-Rook

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Estimable Member Admin
29/05/2019 6:56 pm  
Posted by: Master of none

I'm new to building speakers,  but not to building.   I'm looking to build some speakers for my college bound son.   These will go in a dorm room with 3 guys, definitely not looking to make audiophile speakers.  Something with good sound,  good bass,  and capable of handling some power. (remember 4 guys,  college,  they need to be able to play pretty loud for extended periods).  

i think either the C-Notes or the Overnight Sensations would be a great idea paired with a Voxel.  I of course, prefer my design 😉  Another idea would be the Dinas, I designed.  Each speaker basically has a Voxel sub built in it.  It's total box size is about 12.5" (box not counting tweeter on top), 7.5" wide and 10" deep.   They would be a great fit for a college bound kid.  At least in my opinion.  Here is a video of Joe N Tell reviewing them.  Having said that, I don't think out of those 3 you could go wrong.

I did hear the Passive Aggressive's at MWAF last year, but only as background music.  So I never go to turn them up loud.  They are a great design, but I think the others would give them a little more sound. 

ReplyQuote
Master of none
(@master-of-none)
New Member Registered
29/05/2019 11:22 pm  

The Dinas are what led me here!   The video has them with the tweeter,  if I built them for my son,  they'd be without the tweeter.    I don't think they would travel to/from and live in a dorm room so well.   He probably won't miss them.   I'd also like to get it down to one amplifier and power supply.  

• It seems easier in my head  to do a more traditional 2.1 system.   That's why I was looking the current direction.    I'm open to ideas though!  Remember,  I'm an entry level DIY audio guy.  

I'll look at some of the Kma kits too for ideas.   

Thanks for the input so far. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

rmog2133
(@rmog2133)
New Member Registered
29/05/2019 11:25 pm  

So I built a pair of C-Note speakers last year, have them in our bedroom with a "Audiophiliac" recommended Kinter K2020A amplifier, 20w x 2, and it's awesome! I appreciate the tone controls on the amp and know I will NEVER hurt these speakers with 20W max, but they do get very, very loud (party loud) before distortion on the amp. Inexpensive but sounds great!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
Eminent Member Registered
30/05/2019 10:38 am  

Maybe a little premature since I'm still developing these, but might fit the need very well, especially when you consider space is at a premium in a dorm room.  The picture is of the first prototype, some minor changes are underway now.  I've scaled them down a little smaller than the ones pictured and they are now 18.5" tall, 4.5" wide, 6.5" deep.  Desktops capable of some surprising output! A bit deceptive from their looks and not what most think when they first see them. Driver arrangement is mid/tweeter/passive radiator/passive radiator/woofer.  The bottom woofer from each cabinet is wired in parallel back to the .1 sub portion of the amp. The Dayton 2.1 Amp also gives the end-user quite a bit of flexibility on tailoring the speakers to their own taste. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-21bt2-100w-21-class-d-bluetooth-amplifier-with-sub-frequency-adjustment--300-3831

DM 2

TVOR-Ceasar, Rook_Woodworks, Emerlin and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote

Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
30/05/2019 11:38 am  

Oops, forgot to mention the drivers used. (4) ND90-8's and (4) ND90-PR's which allows you to take advantage of the 4+ price on both and (2) ND25FA-4's. For those interested, this will be an open source design and I'll share the detailed plans, measurements and crossovers once I've finished them. May also offer flat-packs on these somewhere down the road, haven't decided on that part for sure yet, depends on interest. 

Emerlin liked
ReplyQuote
Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
Estimable Member Registered
30/05/2019 12:11 pm  

For Master of none...

You might want to consider this (or similar) for your electronics...  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QPTPVW

Any amp based on the TPA3116D2 chip is capable of surprisingly good sound and packs quite the punch for volume. What you need to be careful of is poor implementations of the chip itself such as problems with under-rated bulk capacitors or coils that saturate and get very hot.  Fortunately these problems are increasingly rare as the design matures.

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
07/07/2019 11:01 am  

This may come along a bit late for consideration, but I thought that something along the lines of a simple 2-way with a 4" and a tweeter would fit the dorm room fairly well. Kind of reminds me of my first "real" build oh so many years ago.

Since they will be going to a place where they will most likely not find the best care, I figured that start inexpensive and work my way up. So go to the Parts Express home page and get to the hifi-drivers and select bass,mid-bass,full-range, sort to 4", price low to high.

First in line is the Dayton Audio PC105-4 4" full range poly cone @4ohm for $12.79. 40w RMS / 80w MAX, 80-15kHz, 90.3dB, XMAX 2mm. Put it in a 3/8" plywood box (13-1/2"x8-5/8"x5-5/8") with a 4-1/4"x1/2 slot port. -3dB is 54.3 Hz and the box/port tuning is 62.7 Hz. Overall 63-15kHz.

Next is the LaVoce FSF041-00 4" @8 ohm for $12.99. 40w RMS/80w MAX, 110-18kHz, 89dB, XMAX 2.2mm. 3/8" plywood box (14-1/2"x9-1/4"x6") with a 5-1/4"x1/2" slot port. -3dB is 49 Hz and box/port tuning is 65 Hz. Overall 65-18kHz.

Lastly, the PRV Audio 4MR60-4 4" full range @4 ohm for $19.99. 30w RMS/60w MAX, 90-15kHz, 90dB, XMAX 2mm. 3/8" plywood box (17"x10-7/8"x7") with a 5-3/4"x1/2" slot port. -3dB is 40 Hz and box/port tuning is 53 Hz, overall 53-15kHz.

To extend the highs, the GRS 1TM-4 1"mylar dome tweeter @4 ohm for $2.90 (90dB). It may only be 5 watts,  but if you crossover at 10 kHz with a 4uf nonpolarized cap (#027-330 @$0.53), you'll be hard pressed to find that much energy up there.

Thank you for your support. 😀

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
08/07/2019 1:21 am  

Also, these box sizes are H, W, D and are based on the Golden Ratio. If you want the Acoustic Ratio, the multipliers are: 1.2599, 1.0, 0.7937 where the common measurement between both ratios is the Width (x 1.0).

The difference between the two can be likened to old style (70's era) generic box speakers and the newer, fatter, style speakers. While the Acoustic Ratio is supposed to be a bit better sounding, the Golden Ratio works better when your space is depth challenged. 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
10/07/2019 10:16 am  

Don't know if you started already, but this just came in my email today:

https://www.parts-express.com/promo/dormdeals

Everything you would need at a price that's hard to beat. (unless of course you are going to MWAF, then you might...) You could even buy 2 of everything and still be way ahead of the game.

PS, if you want a very inexpensive Bluetooth adapter, walk into Walmart for this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackweb-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Adapter-Pairs-and-Streams-Audio-From-Bluetooth-Enabled-Devices-to-Non-Bluetooth-Devices-With-a-3-5mm-Audio-Jack/262302349

I have several, one in the car, one attached to the home stereo, one on reserve. They even work to power headphones. And they work great for hands free calling. To power/charge it, any USB block will do, even a Dollar Store unit.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Share: