Building cheap Klip...

Notifications
Clear all

Building cheap Klipsch R34C/RP404C center channel knockoffs

mcurole
(@mcurole)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I would like to use the cheap HiVi B4N drivers in a 5 speaker center channel similar to the  r34c or the rp-404c.  I am limited in total height to 6 inches in my entertainment center.  5.5 would be perfect.  24-28 inches wide by anything under 16 inches deep.  I would like to use forward facing ovalish ports like the R34C.  May make them out of wood or may try to get them 3D printed.  Rear ports rattle the back of my entertainment center.  Anyone know what the inside of a R34C or RP404C looks like?  I was planning on using my Klipsch K72 dhorn with a 1800hz crossover out of my old Kg2.  I do have other tweeters such as a 4.5 inch H25 mid horn (2500-17K) and a 3.5 inch C5G horn( 4k- 20K) from my Cerwin Vega D15EE with a 4k/7k crossover,  or a  Pioneer PT-R29A Ribbon tweeter from my DSS-9.   I want something louder than my current Klipsch reference theater pack center channel.  Kinda disappointed in them. I need something capable of crisper and louder dialog. I am running a Yamaha TSR-700 100W receiver.    My questions are these:  1.  Do I use these in a 2 way WWTWW configuration or a 2.5 way WMTMW configuration?  2. Do I leave the inside open or separate the two sets of speakers and design ports for the small volumes.  3.  Since i have a good subwoofer that I want to use, do i really need to tune my LCRs and surrounds to less than 70-90 hz?  4. Crossover ideas?   Don't hesitate to blast my ideas.   Welcome all suggestions.

Topic Tags
ronL
 ronL
(@ronl)
Active Member Registered

You mentioned that you want something louder than the Klipsch. I just had a look at the sensitivity, Klipsch claims 97 dB/W for the RP404C. The HiVi B4N only puts out 82 dB/W as the spec states. I wonder of the HiVi is the right driver for you. But when you go for similar looks as the Klipsch this could be a good option I guess. Maybe give it a thought.

ReplyQuote

mcurole
(@mcurole)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply.  The $12.40 HiVi B4N is 85 dB sensitivity.  The similar copper cone HIVi M4N is 82 db at only $11.87.  I think they say double the speakers gives you 3 db.  That would mean 2 speakers would be 88db and 4 speakers would be 91db.  Is that right? I also understand ported can give you a bit more volume than sealed cabinets.  I don't think I will get to 97 db sensitivity with $12 drivers but maybe a decent speaker for under $55 in parts that i need and probably under $100 for someone that needs everything.   If the HiVi copper cone M5N wasn't 5.66 inches in diameter I would go with those even if they are $20 each. They are 87 dB sensitivity.  My wife likes the copper cone look so I am making compromises.   

ReplyQuote
mcurole
(@mcurole)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

The Klipsch i have now is the reference theater  pack.  The center channel is called the RTP center with two 3 inch cones and a tweeter for the center channel.  They crack up at moderate volume.     That is why i am looking at a 4 speaker build that will fit in my entertainment center and give me more volume than the RTP center.

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: