Cheese's Home Theatre Build Thread
So I've been hugely inspired by Toid's KL 650 Replica's and now i'm looking to fulfill the rest of the set up. I'm about to build a "Summer House" ( i use the term loosely) as it will pretty much be an annex to the Farm. But in this i will incorporate a Dedicated Cinema Room. I'm still drawing up the plans, however thought i can get stuck into the speak build and do some tests in my Workshop for set up of the speakers.
The Front stage - Will pretty much be the Toid KL650 Replicas - powered by a dedicated amplifier. Why re-invent the wheel!!
The Subs - 2 Dayton UM18-22 Ultimax in a ported enclosure tuned to 18Hz, powered by a dedicated amplifier and thru mini DSP's
The Front stage and subs will be set behind an acoustically transparent 150" screen
Side Surround - KS525 THX replicas powered by the receiver - Range from 80Hz - 20Khz
Rear Surround - KL525 THX replicas powered by the receiver - Range from 80Hz - 20Khz
Atmos Speakers - Undecided yet. 4 speakers - Either in Ceiling or Height Speakers - need to research the pro's and cons of each - these will also be powered by the receiver
So the purpose of this thread is document my build and thought processes along the way and get great input from the community.
Hope to get to know you all a little better thru this and look forward to the journey ahead.
- 80Hz to 20Khz. Approx 100W RMS @ 8ohm
- Xover point = 1800 - 2200Hz
- 2 x 5" woofers and 2 x 1" tweeters
- option 1 - dome tweeter - better wide field, requires more power
- option 2 - compression tweeter with 90 x 60 Horn approx 5" square, more focused field, less power requirements
- Maintain similar dimensions of 13.75" (35cm) H x 13" (33cm) W x 8.5" (21.6cm) D
- 45deg from Centre firing angle
Drivers provisionally pegged for build -
- FaitalPro 5FE120-8 8ohm Woofer - 80W RMS response = 63 - 6300Hz
- PRV D280Ti-S 1" Compression Driver - 80W RMS response = 1,300-20,000Hz
- Sonitus EH120 1" Screw-in Horn Flare or
- P-Audio PH-180 1" Screw On Asymetric Horn 100 x 60 Dispersion
- Dome tweeter option - jury is still out.
Crossover design - to be completed
Enclosure - to be completed
Ok so i'm trying to work out a crossover, and to be honest i've never designed one before. I've watched Toids videos, but for some reason my graph looks absolutely rubbish.
Could be driver selection, but i am pretty much putting this down to lack of experience on my part.
I'm using PCD at the moment. Ah let me try Xover Calculator, this may help