Composite cabinet m...

Composite cabinet material  

RSS

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
Estimable Member Registered
02/11/2019 8:15 pm  

I’ve been trying to do a little research but it seems to only be applicable to other hobbies. Has anyone ever played with extruded polystyrene foam and epoxy to make a panel or layer of panels stuff enough to build an enclosure?  Seems like it could be very rigid but ULTRA lightweight. Just trying to think outside the box a bit for my second entry into MWAF. 

Topic Tags
DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Trusted Member Registered
02/11/2019 9:27 pm  

It is a nice idea but wouldn't be inert at all and due to the material not being very strong. The resonances that will be created due to it not being inert will be of a higher volume and would colour the sound more. That is why we use mdf. Though you should still have a go. You might find a driver where the resonances of the cabinet fill in the FR of the driver?????? 🙂

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
03/11/2019 9:37 am  

By itself, probably not. If you could engineer in enough non,-symmetrical bracing, perhaps. 

Have you seen the YouTuber called Tech Ingredients? He shows a system of composite (multilayer of differing materials) construction that makes a highly inert plane while reducing mass. Not sure which video, might be the "World's second best speaker".

It may be possible to use it in some sort of sandwich configuration, or even a multi-layer with the ribbing at differing angles to promote superior rigidity. 

All you can do is try. If you find a system you like, give it a shot for MWAF. 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
DIY Audio Guy
(@diy-audio-guy)
Active Member Registered
03/11/2019 9:59 am  

I don't see why it can't work.  In car audio we use fiberglass to make interesting shapes and to fit into odd-shaped spaces.  If fleece soaked in resin works I bet lots of other things will work.

Reinforce the panel with rings where you mount the drivers.  Add ribs on any flat surfaces.  Add lots of bracing.  Some constrained layer dampening (dynamat) can reduce panel resonance.  I made a PR woofer with half inch plywood and I used some scrap CLD I had lying around. 

I have not watched any of the videos from Tech Ingredients, but I can tell from the thumbnails that he is using an exciter and piece of Styrofoam insulation for his cheap speaker.  I have done that.  I can't say it sounds great, but it sounds good and it is tons of fun.  It set them up in my office as a conversation starter, they make a great conversation starter.  It looks like he has a video where he is fiberglasing some foam, may have to check that out.    

ReplyQuote

DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Trusted Member Registered
03/11/2019 12:44 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Yes, I am fully aware of the videos. The one you are thinking of is for the dayton audio exciters and the is called the world's best speakers (2nd best is a different speaker). The fundamentals of audio exciters is a very different area to usual speaker design due to the way the sheet of material is not meant to be inert as you want it to produce sound. Usual speakers are the complete opposite. What DIY audio guy said is also true. But for price-performance value I would recommend MDF any day. It is your choice as to whether or not you enjoy the colouration of sound produced by speaker boxes (e.g. those made of exotic woods). Many people do. Personally I like my system to reproduce sounds faithfully in a reference type manor. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
13/11/2019 4:18 pm  

I guess I’m going to just try it and see how it goes...

There’s nothing to it...but to do it!”

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
13/11/2019 7:56 pm  

@lindelium18

And

"You'll never finish if you don't start." 

I look forward to your assessment of the experiment.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
13/11/2019 9:11 pm  

I'm really interested in seeing how this comes out.

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
24/11/2019 11:21 am  

C20AF623 D971 4862 8853 DD9F1C25D8A4

Well, got all the strips cut for corners and I think I have all the sheets cut for the actual panels. Now, to find the time to actually do it... not to mention, I’m a little scared too...lol

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
25/11/2019 12:26 am  

Your workshop looks really nice.  I am really excited to see how this turns out.  I have no idea how it will, but either way, it's going to be epic. 

ReplyQuote

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register