Dayton Audio PS95-8...

Dayton Audio PS95-8 3-1/2" - Needs Crossover?  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
11/12/2019 2:17 pm  

@jcaryphoto

I got what you are saying.  ANd that makes sense.  I really wouldn't mix the drivers unless you plan to work up an entire crossover network for it.  And that probably isn't the best thing to do with full-range drivers like you have.  Having said that, you could use the PS95's on the side and the tech's for the center.  That is probably the best option if you do not want to go full out Ps95's.  If you did want to do PS95's on the whole thing, you may consider using the tech's for a small desktop speaker or even a bluetooth speaker or something like that. They look like they would be a good candidate for either of those. 

ReplyQuote
Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
Eminent Member Registered
11/12/2019 4:18 pm  

@123toid

I like the idea of moving the tech’s to the center channel and pushing the PS95’s to the left and right channels. On that note, would it still make sense to add BSD’s to each pairing? This is going to be a sealed enclosure with 0.2 ft.³ for the PS95’s and 0.12ft.³ for the tech’s. Though, having said that, because of the two speakers parameters, is the center channel going to over power the left and right channels? Would it just make better sense to purchase another pair of PS95’s?

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
11/12/2019 4:28 pm  

@123toid & @jcaryphoto

I need to check some stuff when I get home for this reply. So when that happens, I'll come back and edit this.

Sorry it took so long... (already 2 replies below this)

Since you are building a "soundbar" for the front, I think it's be best to use the PS95's (single driver for 8 ohm impedance) for the left and right and use the 2 TEBM's (in series to make 8 ohm impedance). Done this way, the left and right will have 85.56 dB output while the center will raise to 84 dB. You could use the setup of the Yamaha to finish volume matching the channels.

So yes, I believe you were thinking along the right lines with your assessment earlier. Just know that you may want a supplemental tweeter with the TEBM's to pull up the high end a bit.

As to the box volumes, if you model one for having BOTH TEBM's in the same cavity, use the same Qts, Fs, but 2x's the Vas. And when you model ALL boxes in the soundbar, try to get them tuned as close as you can to the same box frequency. That way, when you add the subs, they'll be working the same with every channel.

How would I orient the drivers? I would think that I'd take into account the special characteristics of the 2 different drivers and their proximity  to each other, along with their job in the overall scheme of use.

The TEBM's have a wider dispersion than standard drivers (stated in their description) so, in center channel use, I'd leave them pretty much pointing straight ahead. If you add a tweeter to the center channel, put that in the very middle with a TEBM on either side.

The PS95's, as the left and right front channels should be set as far apart as possible, and maybe even slightly angled outward to help spread the soundstage. It wouldn't take much, maybe only a few degrees. You'd need to draw something up to scale showing the soundbar placement and the listening position (say, the full couch) to get an idea of what would cover the area best.

To the Yamaha. What I read in the specs is that it is basically a 8 ohm designed amp, capable of driving at 6 ohms. I didn't see any real mention of 4 ohm loads anywhere, so that is why I suggested the speaker configuration I did (plus it helps to better match output levels).

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
11/12/2019 4:59 pm  

@jcaryphoto

You still would need a BSC on each pair of speakers.  If you do not, you will loose a lot of mids.  The circuits will be really cheap, so no worries there.  Just keep in mind, the PS95's don't give a lot of bass.  If you want that you will want different drivers or to add a subwoofer (which I thought you mentioned you were doing).

ReplyQuote

Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
11/12/2019 6:31 pm  

@123toid

My thoughts exactly. Word is the PS95’s are more of a high tone driver and because of that adding a mid tone driver made sense. I just chose incorrectly. 

Yes, I am adding a subwoofer to the the system. A pair of Dayton DCS165 6.5” subs in a sealed enclosure with a Yung subwoofer plate amp.  

Oh the joys of being quick on the trigger to purchase. 🤦‍♂️

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
12/12/2019 1:34 am  

@jcaryphoto

Nice choice.  Too bad you weren't at MWAF. they were practically giving away 300-350w subwoofer amplifiers.  I picked up two for a total of $32.  These were HSU research buyouts, but they also had some old stock of Cerwin Vega for the same price ($16 each). 

ReplyQuote

Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
12/12/2019 10:40 am  

@123toid

Quiet a contrasting different to the price I paid, $129. 🤷‍♂️

ReplyQuote
Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
12/12/2019 10:54 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Awesome. I really appreciate the help! 

How this tweeter for the center channel: Peerless NE25V VTS

Or is there another one you'd suggest? The wiring on this should be interesting; BSD w/a high pass. 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
14/12/2019 12:42 am  

@jcaryphoto

I personally wouldn't add a tweeter without first listening to the BMR's.  I have used a few BMR's (not the exact ones you are using, but they highs were surprisingly good, with good enough off-axis.  

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/12/2019 1:35 am  

@123toid

I was going to suggest that if they are to be used soley as a center channel, then they are most likely quite good enough since speech is the main objective of that channel. (Beat me to it! 🙂 )

If music were to be a very large part of the soundbar's life, then I'd audition first to decide if one would be needed. With the PS95s on either side, it may be balanced enough as is. Only you would be able to decide if one was needed in the future.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
14/12/2019 9:19 am  

@123toid

Good to know. If a tweeter is added, how much of an impact do you think it will add? 

The main purpose of this “soundbar” will be for TV usage with the occasional weekend ambient music listening while doing work around the house. 

What information do you need from me for the BSDs? 

ReplyQuote
Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
14/12/2019 9:24 am  

If a tweeter were to be added... thoughts on theDayton AMT Mini 8?

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/12/2019 10:27 am  

The AMT series seems to be highly regarded among our segment of audio (hobby designer / builder). I've never used or heard them, but the graph looks very good, and they seem to fill in for the falling edge of the TEBMs. I don't have access to my computer at the moment, so I can't easily compile the graphs the way I did before, at least until later tonight.

Nick ( @123toid ), do you have experience with the AMTs?

Any other members have experience with them as well?

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
14/12/2019 10:39 pm  

Well, I was in the process of cleaning up and combining the graphs when I lost power at the computer power outlet. There were 4 graphs up and just about ready. All gone. C'est la vie.

Suffice to say, when I was looking at what the combinations would be, it really looks like you should give the initial build with just the PS95s and the TEBMs a listen before adding anything else. Or at least get some sort of measurement microphone to verify any problems you may or may not notice.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Jcaryphoto
(@jcaryphoto)
16/12/2019 6:04 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Got it. I’ll give it a go. Planning on taking some time off during the holidays and that’s when I’ll begin the build on the “soundbar”. Just need to creat an order for the items needed for the BSD and I’ll be good to go. 

I’ve already begun building the dual 6.5” sub enclosure to accompany the soundbar. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register