DIY active speaker build  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered
10/05/2020 10:57 am  

1ABC08FC 962C 4215 9D45 2FEB4D1C0491

This is the start of a build I’ll be doing for my camper I thought I’d share. The camper has a lackluster set up to say the least. 2 ceiling speakers on each end of the main room and 2 outside speakers 
originally I was going to use the parts express 2.1 amp board but after thinking about what I have in storage I’ve decided to go a different way and save the board for a different project. 

For the source unit I’ll be using an alpine single din head unit. I can’t recall the model # but all add as I start getting things together. The unit has a 3 way crossover built in so I’ll be using the head units sound processing which includes time alignment and a 9 band parametric eq  

for the drivers I’ll be using wavecor tweeters again I can’t recall the model # (I’ll add late) they’re 30 mm 8 ohm with a curved face plate. The mids are wavecor 4.5 the 4 ohm 150 rms model. I will use a ported enclosure for these but haven’t settled on the airspace and tuning yet. Currently working on the sub enclosure for the tang band 6.5 .5 @36hz

for amplifiers I’ll be using a wondom 4 channel amp and a sure 200 watt mono amp. Eager to get this done but work seems to be picking up now but still day to day. Looking forward to my first active set up that isn’t in a car. 

123Toid liked
oneway
(@oneway)
11/05/2020 8:35 pm  
03D4DF3F 79CC 43AF 89C5 03B5018F831B
7A2D672D E059 4DAC 8675 635BF47EAC1F

I got the sub enclosure done today. Being a bit of a bass head I wasn’t expecting to be impressed with the output of this sub and to no surprise I wasn’t however what is impressive is how it sounds and just how low it can go. I realize it’ll do even better in a smaller room so looking forward to getting it into the camper. 
One of the advantages of going with the sure amp is it is 2 ohm stable so I can see myself getting another one in the future. 
the port is a little over 7” x 1”

there is something cool about such a small sub. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
13/05/2020 1:37 am  

@oneway

I agree.  Small subs are neat.  Especially when they sound much bigger than they are.  Of course, as we both know, there is no replacement for displacement.  I am considering building a few 15" subs. 

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
13/05/2020 2:53 am  

@123toid I love some displacement. It’s like having a high output v8. You can cruise around and take it easy or you can mash on the gas for a little thrill.
I think you should do a big sub I don’t recall you doing any in any of your videos? It would probably get a few views. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
17/05/2020 3:55 pm  

12AB06DE 1568 47DC AE92 5DDC597BEB93
F4FDE2D3 913C 4482 ACA9 03DDE12453B5
F51D84B8 20F6 4EFD AF04 BBA3F18BDC94

Amplifiers and radio installed. So far impressed with the amplifiers. They don’t need much of a signal to gain match so the levels on the head unit are turned down. 

Unfortunately the 4.5 mids are just a little too big fit. Even the tweeters are really pushing the limit so a change of plans are in order. I have ordered 4 Dayton n65s the 2.5” drivers and a pair of 1/2” aka 13 mm wavecor tweeters. 
In a way it’s a bit of a bummer because the wavecor mids would’ve worked in the airspace I had available but the motor was just a little too big to fit. Positive side of it is I’m looking forward to trying the tiny nd drivers and tiny tweeters. From modeling on bass box pro the 2.5s should do well and actually compare well  but not as efficient as the 4.5s.  

I need a little longer aux cable too so I can route it through the hole next to the radio. In the meantime I’ve hooked up some Dayton 2” rs drivers crossed over @ 500 hz 24db and 2k so I’m missing some content below that but still much better than what it was. The 30mm tweeters are covering 2k up. Nice to have tweeters that can go low. I haven’t had time to mess with crossover points yet but probably won’t a whole lot since these aren’t permanent. 

I have two recliners with a console in the middle that’s hollow underneath and that’s where the sub is and it does vibrate the chairs when turned up. The sub is impressive for the size and sounds great. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
17/05/2020 5:07 pm  

Loving this project. I think you'll really like the nd65's. Are those Sure amplifiers? I'm using a few in my latest custom project. Great amplifiers.

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
17/05/2020 6:46 pm  

@123toid yeah the 200x1 and the sure/wondom 4x100. I’ve got a 36/5 amp power supply on the 200. Should be more than enough for the sub. I’m only using a 24/5a on the 4 channel but really don’t need it loud just going for clean sound. 
I’m pretty happy so far with the amplifiers. I haven’t pushed the 4 channel too hard. The sub I’ve had moving pretty good. They sound really good. I’m glad I went with them over the parts express 2.1 board (great board though) Gives me some head room and I’m active so no passive crossovers to mess with.  

I think I’ll like the nds they model nicely for such a small driver. Looking at the response graphs looks like I’ll be able to go crossover higher than the 4.5s too. 
I’ll be looking for a new video on the sure amps soon then?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/05/2020 1:42 am  

@oneway

No videp comming on the amplifiers.  BUt I too am using the 4x100.  This si a custom build for a customer.  I may post some after pictures when complete. SHould be by the end of this week. 

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
19/05/2020 11:17 am  

@123toid well I’m definitely going to be putting some hours on the amplifiers as I have recently acquired some land (just before the virus) and I’m staying in the camper until we can get a house built. Staying idle at the moment till things/work becomes more predictable/steady.

With us being home more the tv is on a lot. Most of the time it’s just background noise. I haven’t played much music yet. Waiting on the new drivers so I can have some mid bass. 

the sub actually doesn’t sound too bad going up above 100 hz but because of where it’s at in relation to the other drivers it is causing localization. Anyway I’m hoping the amplifiers are reliable. I don’t know enough about components to know the quality of the ones used on these boards. I did read that the 4 ohm stable 4 channel uses better components and chip than the 6 ohm version. The fan must be pretty quiet I haven’t heard it come on at all. Both amps fit underneath the radio so they are out of site out of mind. They seem pretty well put together too. 

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
20/05/2020 9:00 pm  

70E611C6 66C9 4010 85A6 573185CFA965
66877ACD 67BF 4867 A150 9B2B0BEC7A79

Got the speakers delivered today. Baffle cut and plumbing installed. Just don’t realize just how tiny these speakers are till ya have them in your hands. The tweeters are soooo small. 

Just got the wires ran for the binding post and clamped on the top. If I don’t get called into work I’ll round over the edges and add another coat of tomorrow. May even have time to do a coat of urethane. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
20/05/2020 10:53 pm  

@oneway

looking good.

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
21/05/2020 8:46 pm  

75290904 E46C 4896 9BF3 18CE1E2310DE
D05D126D C9A1 48AC A47F D4C434456D8D
11AFC4B3 26BF 4030 882A 32D323CFDAA7

I really pushed the envelope on this one. It barely fit where it needed to go. So much so I thought I messed up my measurements but a little finessing got them in there. 
They are mellow as to be expected but a new experience hearing mid bass from the little 2.5s. They sound great and the little tweeter seems like a good match so far. Haven’t had to adjust the levels. 
enclosure came out to .07 per side @ 72hz

it’s pretty much done just need to pick up a longer aux cable so I can route it through the entertainment center 

Very delicate speakers made me nervous to mount them. My smallest speakers where 4” prior to these. Listening to Pink Floyd the wall. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be happy I went this route but I’m still left with some wavecor drivers 6.5s 4.5s and the large tweeters that need a new permanent home as much as I do lol. Much like myself they will  have to wait for the new house. They’re bubble wrapped in a safe place. Kinda works better this way these will stay in the camper if we keep it. If not I’ve got a great bedroom set up. 

In the meantime I’ll probably build something a little better for the garage I have a couple of Dayton sd270s with a meanwell 12 volt power supply to power one of my car amplifiers and another alpine head unit plus I’m wanting to do a couple of boom box projects for Christmas gifts. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
21/05/2020 9:44 pm  

Nice!

-Charlie

oneway liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/05/2020 11:41 pm  

@oneway

That fit perfectly!

oneway liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
22/05/2020 11:29 am  

Definitely a much better aesthetic than the original choices. Looks like you made the right call.

Nice job on stain matching to the surrounding cabinetry.

I'm sure you'll find a good home for the Wavecors in the future.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: