Clear all

DIY active speaker build  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered
22/05/2020 2:47 pm  

@tvor-ceasar I put a coat of stain on the baffle then sanded some of it off to give it a little character. I’m kinda into antique furniture. So tried to give it a little faded used appearance.

You’re right these smaller drivers look better. Originally was trying to get 10lbs in a 5 gallon bucket 

the thing is about a month or so before this land came up I had just finished building bookshelf speakers for the w.c drivers I already have so was pretty determined to use them somehow. I could of forced it but probably not with wife approval. 

I absolutely love these little  tweeters. They blend so well with the nds. They are so smooth and very mellow and a pleasure for me to listen when they’re next to the nd65s anyway. They wouldn’t keep up with any of my larger drivers without some help but with the nds I haven’t felt the need to adjust  the eq from flat at all. 

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
23/05/2020 2:26 pm  
45834702 8746 459B AE62 4763C0D6CDDF

Got all the wires tucked away and built a shelf for the DVD player.
I turned off the tweeters and set the nds up to 20k to try them full range. They weren’t terrible as long as I’m on axis but as soon as I move a little off axis they fall off rapidly. 

I’m sure I’ll play a little more with my crossover settings. I did play some music last night on the amazon music app.
The sound quality on that app is pretty good since they improved it last year. Much better than anyone’s I’ve heard that are in the same price range anyway. 

Anyway I played with the high pass on the nds, with the sub turned off, last  night listening to tools new album (which is a great sounding recording) I really like them at 80hz 24db slope they can handle plenty of volume. I tried higher and different slopes as well. Also tried 63hz at lower volume levels and sounded amazing but didn’t want to push them with much power that low. The response blows me away. I see why people love the nd line. 
that should do it for this build thread. Thanks for the nice comments and to those who just read 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
23/05/2020 4:17 pm  

I look at builds like this particular one and the old adage of "Examine the whole situation to decide your course of action", and I can see where you took that step -early on.

Curious to know what your thought process was in deciding which drivers to use and the decision to use that particular design. I can theorize based on my own experience, but everyone's experiences are unique. 

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
23/05/2020 6:12 pm  

@tvor-ceasar after figuring out the wavecor 4.5 just wasn’t going to fit without coming out of the entertainment center   (air space would’ve worked but a little too much height restrictions I could’ve forced it but could’ve easily ran into other issues) I started looking at other drivers.  

I looked at the aurasound 3” and the nd 3.5” but baffle is still only a little over 3” around 3 1/4. So that I felt was pushing it even with the aurasound plus i didn’t care for how the aurasound modeled with my available airspace. I liked it better at .1 net or a little more so that eliminated it. 

so I turned to the nd65 and played with it and really liked how it modeled. I actually ended up tuning a little lower then the graph I originally showed comparing it to the w.c driver. It gave it a slight roll off before the tuning point. Thinking I might have a slight gain because of how it has to sit in the entertainment center. I didn’t want to port out the front or up (nothing worse than dropping something in a port plus it was a little easier without any bends plus keeping the opening away from the drivers on the inside etc) but there’s a 2.25” space on each side of the box for the ports to breath. 

So my big tweeter isn’t going to look right next to the nds and the sensitivity is way higher. With my levels turned down on the head unit  all the way because of the low input the  4 ch amp will take (4 volt hu I think the amps input voltage is around 1/2 volt)I still have the eq I could turn down but I’d rather not have to plus I still have the problem of them being 2x the size of the mids. 
I didn’t really look at very many tweeters because I seen the w.c tweeter. It wasn’t crazy expensive it has a low fs, the off axis response looks pretty good and the sensitivity is fairly low. plus it’s tiny that’ll probably look pretty good. So I quickly pulled the trigger without much more thought  and I’m very happy with it 

as far as that particular design it’s all space issues so sound bar type design with a sub hidden was the goal. Being such small drivers  and where the sub is I wanted to get response down to at least 80hz so I could keep the subs crossover low. I decided ported was the best way to go on the mids

I sit a little off axis too because of the layout of the camper so definitely wanted a tweeter over a full range design. Needed to be 2way though since I decided to use the alpine active. From the response graphs the nds off axis response didn’t look bad up to around 5k so that was also helpful in deciding on them.
Driver placement I struggled with for a little while. So I looked at others on line and I also seen a video of this one character 123toid or something like that. He used the nd65 and a Dayton tweeter with similar placement. I figured if it worked good enough for a YouTube video it’d be good enough for me. 

probably all wrong but that was my thought process lol. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
24/05/2020 12:15 am  
Posted by: @oneway

.... So I looked at others on line and I also seen a video of this one character 123toid or something like that.

Had a good chuckle at that one.

Sounds to be a similar sort of process to what most DIY enthusiasts do, no matter what the passion.

• Situation/ need arises
  • Hey, I have something that'll work. Nope, D**n it!
  • Nothing'll fit here. Let me see...
  • I can do that!
  • Look Ma!!! 🙂

That's leaving out a lot of unsavory words that usually accompany such endeavors. Lol.

I know I'm guilty of all of the above at one time or another. 

Thanks!

-Charlie

oneway liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
%d bloggers like this: