Notifications
Clear all

Dynalab sda 2.8 "kit" at Parts Express.  

RSS

Derek
(@derek)
Active Member Registered
22/05/2020 6:16 am  

Mr Toid has been planning on using the Dynalab buyout woofers in a build. I have been looking at them at PE and realized that all of the parts (minus port and box) from the original speaker these were used in are in stock.  You could build a pair of the original design for 47.51 plus tax. 

That being said, at least according to the net, these were white van speakers. I certainly wouldn't recommend everyone or anyone go out and build one. Whatever Nick decides do do with these woofers will be superior in every way. Don't come crying to me if these sound like a mono 1940's radio.

If a man was bored, had 50 spare dollars, and really wanted to take a gamble with these they might at least be worth their modest price tag. 

cart
Dynalab SDA 28 Signature Reference Black Front Tower

123Toid liked
Derek
(@derek)
Active Member Registered
22/05/2020 6:34 am  

Thinking about this some more if this crossover could cheaply be modified to work with a better tweeter this could be a heck of a budget setup. Not very likely, but if possible these buyout parts would be gone in a flash. I wonder how many PE has?

Nick can you see stock numbers at PE? Some of the techtalk guys can. I'm not sure if they have business accounts, or somehow have special privileges. It may have something to do with being former design team members.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
22/05/2020 7:34 am  

@derek

You can usually find out fairly quick how many are in stock by:

1. Don't sign in. Otherwise you might end up with a whole bunch of something you didn't really want.
  2. Put a large # in the Quantity and then Add To Cart. I like to start with 400.
  3. Now in the cart view, it'll tell you if there are not enough, in red. If you don't see that, keep increasing (updating your order total) in multiples of your original # until you do.
  4. When you finally do see that warning, then go back down by half your last increase. Keep bouncing back and forth until you are able to get rid of the red warning with a change of 1 unit. That would be their stock amount.

I used this method to find that they had over 4000 of a particular buyout driver a while back.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Active Member Registered
22/05/2020 8:08 am  

@tvor-ceasar 

Thank you for the information.

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Active Member Registered
22/05/2020 8:22 am  

They have a lot of these tweets. They will be selling them for years if they don't get popular. I wonder what kind of profit margins they make on buyouts. You would think its probably pretty good. From what I have gathered by getting quotes from alibaba for speaker lots. If you can buy in bulk there is good money to be made.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
22/05/2020 8:30 am  

As of 8:30 AM EDST 5/22/2020

Tweeter - 6359 units

Woofer - 889 units

Search Term: https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=DynaLab&sitesearch=true

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/05/2020 4:20 pm  
Posted by: @derek

Mr Toid has been planning on using the Dynalab buyout woofers in a build. I have been looking at them at PE and realized that all of the parts (minus port and box) from the original speaker these were used in are in stock.  You could build a pair of the original design for 47.51 plus tax. 

That being said, at least according to the net, these were white van speakers. I certainly wouldn't recommend everyone or anyone go out and build one. Whatever Nick decides do do with these woofers will be superior in every way. Don't come crying to me if these sound like a mono 1940's radio.

If a man was bored, had 50 spare dollars, and really wanted to take a gamble with these they might at least be worth their modest price tag. 

cart
Dynalab SDA 28 Signature Reference Black Front Tower

That is pretty sweet that you found these. I didn't realize that.  We are on Patreon doing a community build with two of these woofers and the Dayton reference tweeter (mtm).  It is a fun build that is really cheap.  I looked up some info on the speakers they originally were made for.  By did they make some terrible choices.  Supposidly they crossed these over at 4Khz, which is way too high for those woofers.  At least it should be, I haven't taken on and off axis measuerements yet.  Part of the reason we choose the Dayton Reference tweeter was due to the fact it could crossover much sooner.  All in All about $100 for parts, plus crossover cost.  Which I plan to try to keep low.   

I will say, the woofers were cheap and they aren't the best made woofer by any means, but I really like the look of the cone and surround.  So hopefully, we can make these guys sing!  We are going to doa  sealed cabinet, as these really do best in sealed.  

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/05/2020 11:20 pm  

@derek

I would imagine they pay pennies on the dollars for the buyouts.  I doubt those woofers cost them hardly anything. 

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered
23/05/2020 8:46 am  

I’m willing to bet those woofers will be a lot better in a well built enclosure with a proper crossover, wow 4K huh smh. 
I’m always looking at the buyout section at parts express. I really like the 4 ohm 6.5. I’ve used them in 3 different builds. The 16 ohm 4” mid is ok as long as it’s used strictly as a mid. I also like the t25 paper cone tweeters. The one thing I would complain about the buyouts is the lack of t/s specs on some of the drivers. 

I was disappointed to see that they sold out of the hsu 12” sub a while back. I wanted 1 but I still had subs I haven’t even tried yet before they sold out.

i was interested in the dynalabs when they first got them did a little research and also found out they were white van sold. 

idk I seem to be able to find something I like about most drivers I’ve used. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: