Notifications
Clear all

Fion 2 way speakers - DIY HIFI

Filax Diy
(@filax-diy)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  
Hi everybody!

Im a hobbyist speakerbuilder from germany and im new around here 🙂.
I've been into the hobby for a good 2 years now and i finally managed to develope my first speaker ever!
I used a 5" Dayton Audio Woofer and a 1" SB Acoustics Tweeter and gave it the name Fion (first one).

Im more than pleased with the outcome and hope i can maybe inspire some of you 🙂
You will find the free documentation and buildplans in the PDF when you follow the link.

IMG 0974

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@filax-diy This is excellent! I'm so glad to see you were able to translate it to English! I'm looking forward to really checking these out. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

Filax Diy liked
ReplyQuote

Filax Diy
(@filax-diy)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid Thank you! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on them!

ReplyQuote
btrbandit
(@btrbandit)
Active Member Registered

Those look fantastic!  Well done.

Filax Diy liked
ReplyQuote

Filax Diy
(@filax-diy)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid Hey there, just wanted to ask if you had a look by now 🙂 Greetings 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@filax-diy I did.  I think it is fantastic!  I absolutely love it.  The writeup is top notch as well. Very easy to follow and a great 2d sketch.  And the finished project looks to hit way above the budget it would cost to build. Great job! 

The only thing I would wonder about is the woofer crossover.  Looks like a few notch filters and an inductor/resistor going to ground.  I'd love to hear, if you want to share, why you choose that layout. 

ReplyQuote

Filax Diy
(@filax-diy)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks! Your feedback means a lot!

If you look at the simulated filter response for the woofer you can see its effect (compare it to the woofer frequency response i measured without the crossover).
The combination of notchfilters and lowpass with extra inductor takes away about 4 dB between 600 - 3000 Hz and flattens the woofers response. Also i found that this way the phase in the crossoverregion would be very good and giving nice summation. I experimentet a lot with different crossoverpoints (mostly way lower than the final one) and there were always problems with response being bumpy in directivity measurements while on axis being fine. This way its the best compromise i found between on axis and off axis response making the speaker sound balanced. Also price was a point to consider and this way would be cheaper than others i tried.

I added 3 screenshots so you can see what the components are doing

Screenshot 2021 11 26 162502
Screenshot 2021 11 26 162607
Screenshot 2021 11 26 162525

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@filax-diy 

Awesome, it definitely worked out!  The response looks great.  It's always nice to get into the mind of a designer and see what they see and choose the parts they decided on.  My initial thought, would have been to increase the inductor size and if need be add a tank capacitor/and or if needed add a parallel notch filter between the 800Hz to 3Khz region. But honestly, that is just where I would have started, who knows where I would have ended up. Could have ended up with something very similar to what you have.  It is a great response and I appreciate you going into detail over the crossover. 

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: