Clear all

Humming sounds  

RSS

Kingsanguine
(@kingsanguine)
Active Member Registered
23/06/2020 10:42 pm  

Hey everyone,

I have finally got the speakers, amp, pre amp, up and running.

But now....I keep having this humming 60 hz sound from the speakers.  I have a sys volume control and the hum gets louder the higher the volume goes.

I also have a pre amp mani. I have tried messing with the gain and it helps a little but its still there. 

I have a ground running from the turn table to the mani and I have tried messing with that and still nothing.

I'm at a loss.

I built the ESO 7 baffle speakers and the ice amplifier.  Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.  

Update: I moved the equipment around and now it's worse with 120hz...

Thanks

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
24/06/2020 1:33 pm  

That's power line noise, mostly from a power supply (60Hz) and it's rectification stage (120Hz), thereabouts. I'd say it's pretty early on, too, since it changes with the volume control. Instead of writing it all out, I'll refer you to the way I troubleshoot such things in this post. If you substitute your signal chain in to the ideology put forth, you should be able to narrow it down pretty quick.

Let us know what you find.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
26/06/2020 12:10 am  

@kingsanguine Have you tried plugging them into a single powerstrip that goes to one outlet?  That may help. Could you also enlighten us on the cabling situation.  Is it possible you don't have shielded cables?

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: