Notifications
Clear all

Mini Dinas Build Log  

RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/01/2020 3:47 pm  

I'm introducing the Mini Dinas here. Want to give you guys some ideas of the trials I've had while building these. So here's my first design. I thought I'd use the Fountek Fe85 and the Tang Band W5-1138 subwoofer. The thought was to make it a boenicke W5 clone. But the more I researched that speaker, I quickly realized I did not want to clone it. I'll go more detail later. so I decided to try these two out and see how they would work. I got a few measurements and I'm honestly not impressed with the FE85. It has a really weird response. But here are the test enclosures in the original design. I tested everything and created a crossover, which was a lot more complex than it should be.

IMG 20200106 115050
IMG 20200106 115050

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/01/2020 3:50 pm  

Once I designed the crossover, I built these enclosures. But there were two problems, The first was the first crossover I created just dipped down a little too low in the impedance for mini desktop amplifiers to handle. That was fine with something like a ice power amplifier, would I envision most people using something more like the SMSL that I recently reviewed.  The second problem, was when you gave it significant power you did have chuffing at certain frequencies. No it was rare, but it was definitely audible.

IMG 20200127 140934
IMG 20200127 140920

In order to combat that, I decided to widen the enclosures a little which would give me more room to make a taller port. This did make a big difference, but it still hasn't gotten rid of it completely. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/01/2020 3:53 pm  

I'm going to be trying at least one more enclosure, but this one with passive radiators. The cost will go up, but I'm hoping for a much better sound. The only issue that I'm still debating is whether to switch out the full range driver. I'm thinking of switching to the RS100-4. It'll match the radiators better and honestly I think it will sound a lot better as well. Especially since I haven't really been that happy with the FE85

The look I'm considering is one passive radiator on the front and one on the rear. The speaker will need two passive radiators. The way that would look, would almost be like a tweeter up top with a mid-range underneath it and then a subwoofer on the side. now most people are going to wonder if you can use these on the normal Dinas and the answer is no. At least not the way that it's currently designed. I would have to make some changes to the volume in order for it to work properly. Right now it's all theoretical and whether it's going to work anyway. So I plan to build some enclosures hopefully next week to see how it works. 

ReplyQuote
Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
Eminent Member Registered
22/02/2020 10:27 am  

These look promising. The idea of the Dina's I loved but the real estate was something I didn't have. Are these aimed at HT or a desktop setup? How about the driver you used in the Reveal line or the PS95?

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Estimable Member Registered
22/02/2020 10:43 am  

I know you say they are mini-DINAS, but because they are small are they still worthy of the name Do I Need A Subwoofer? I suppose we'll just have to see when Toid has finished. ;D

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
23/02/2020 11:14 am  

@mumbles202

This is more assumed for the desktop. With only a full-range driver handling the highs, your off-axis suffers. 

@diyaudiphileelliottbridge it does have powerful bass, but since I shrunk the size, it doesn't go down as low. Still pretty good for a desktop unit.

ReplyQuote
Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
23/02/2020 8:39 pm  

@123Toid that's good to know about the desktop setup. Any ideas as to driver you're going to use to replace the full range driver? Won't adding a passive radiator increase the size of the box even if you're just allowing for the physical dimensions of the radiator?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
23/02/2020 8:48 pm  

@mumbles202

Technically, yes. Realistically, with the amount that would be inside the box, the tuning frequency would be very minimalistically changed, if at all.  Keep in mind the port is going away, which gives would account for some of that internal volume. Of course I'm assuming front mounting the passive radiators. Then all you have is very little actual cubic feet being taken up. Keep in mind, they have no motors and the space in between the basket is all free air. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
24/02/2020 1:35 am  

@mumbles202

I may have decided against changing out the full range.  At first, I thought I definitely would, but on axis, on a desk, they sound pretty good.  They have a slightly darker sound to them..  I have tried out movies and music and do like them.  I haven't made a passive radiator version yet, since the new box design took away all my fears.  I am not sure the passive radiators are really necessary.  I probably will build one more test version with a different full range.

ReplyQuote
Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
24/02/2020 8:44 pm  

@123Toid

That's interesting. So sticking with the same sub/driver and same ported box design? What are rough dimensions if you don't mind me asking? Curious what kind of footprint they have.

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: