My first DIY speake...

Notifications
Clear all

My first DIY speaker project

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

I suppose it's time to put a build together.

My living room is 5m x 7m and is our cinema room.  We chose this house pimarily becuase as a new build, it doesn't have patio doors at the end of the room and there is a cupboard behind the living room.  This means my projector is in the cupboard firing through a hole in the wall down the length of the room

I have PMC OB1s as mains and the PMC CB6 centre.  Here in the UK, PMC are well known and these speakers are well known.

I listen to movies and music quite loud.

I have a JL Audio 12" sub called the E112 which is great.

So I don't need "full-range" fronts but it would be good to turn the amp to "Stereo Direct" and just play some vinyl from just the mains.

Probably the wrong way round, but I know exactly what I want then to look like.

Sketchup Workings
front 3 side view
Inside top view

I did get a price for a local company to CNC the bits but stupidly I had 6mm Aluminium templates CNC'd with waterjet and bolted my router to a board.  While this is obviously cheaper, it's very boring and I've already broken a router bit.

I did build 12 inches of a front as a prototype which was great as I soon realised sandwhiching slippery glued surfaces together with any acurace was impossible hense the 6 10mm holes which will have 10mm threaded rod down the middle.  It also allows me to glue 2 or 3 slices at a time.

Each open slice is 1.18 Ltrs and each slice with a cross secion is either 0.9 Ltrs or 0.85 Ltrs so it's really easy to add more slices to make the internal volumne of a box I want smaller or larger. 

123Toid liked
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

So behind the tweeter is open, behind the mid is a small cavity (which might end up being too big for a mid at 4Ltrs and the rest is either open, left to right braced, or front to back - betweetn drivers etc.

The average thickness of the walls is 45mm and the front baffle is 50mm  The back baffle is 50mm and has a 12mm hold for wires to be threaded.

Here's some progress pics.

I've turned a hell of a lof of MDF back in the Medium Fibres!

prog2
prog3
prog1
prog4
prog7
prog6
prog5
prog8
prog9

ReplyQuote

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

Now I really need to make my descision on drivers.

I keep thinking I've decided then I see a YouTube vid by TOID and the Dayton Esoteric drivers.  I really like the woven fibre cone material.

Here's a first stab at 2 ES7s, an ES5 and the Corundom Tweeter.  I've no idea what I'm doing yet but I'm getting the graph flatish.

1st stab PCD

ReplyQuote
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

I'm going for a piano finish just to make things easy.  The copper rings behind the drivers where in case I went with Seas Excel drivers.  Otherwise the rings will be aluminium.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@deadeye

First of all I love the look!  They are going to be gorgeous.  Are these going to be mainly music or movies?  I like the esoteric drivers a lot and definitely recommend them.  They are very beautiful drivers. I would recommend porting them though. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

70/30 film/music.

Still stuck on drivers - people seem to rave about the SB Satori TexTreme drivers...  I've made enough slives to build one speaker if only I could decide on drivers 🙁  This is the part of the proect I'm not enjoying.

ReplyQuote

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

@toids Any comments on my PDC graph I should be worried about at this early stage?

Am I doing the right thing using the 5 and the 7 ES drivers?

Why port the ES7s?  I know I should get lower base but realistically they are going to be cut off at 80Hz most of the time and I prefer punch I think.  Plus I have the 12mm hole going up the back of the speaker for the wire which would become a problem if I want to poke a 3" port through it! 🙂

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@deadeye

Are these manufacturers responses?  If so, then you are a going to be a little high when you make this.  Since you are using two woofers (7") then you will want everything below bafflestep to be about 3db down.  So the rest of the graph should hoover around 84-85db.  So your tweeter will want to be padded down a little and your mid is playing a little loud in the 1-2khz range, which I prefer being a little softer.  IT just might make a bright speaker.  Of course, if this is what you are after, then don't worry about that as much. 

If you are cutting your bass off at 80hz, I wouldn't port them. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

The Tangbands in the uglies seem to have sold out everywhere, probably your fault!

any other recommendations on something else similar?

8” is my ideal size but options seem limited.

9s are too wide.

ReplyQuote
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

I've just realised the 9" morel is acually an 8" or at least it's in an 8" basket - more or less 🙂

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator

Posted by: @deadeye

I've just realised the 9" morel is acually an 8" or at least it's in an 8" basket - more or less 🙂

All the more reason to read full specs rather than just the splash page info, even if it gives you a lot of info. How's the Morel model in your "box"?

-Charlie
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTrueVoiceOfReason

ReplyQuote
Deadeye
(@deadeye)
Topic starter  

Well...

Inthoygjt I had far too much space available with the other drivers but it looks like the Morel needs a lot more. So luckily the mid ive chosen doesn’t need it own cavity so I’ve got about 50litrs which my first go at WinISD says F3 of 48Hz.

more than happy with that considering...

From my limited knowledge gained, if I cross over at 80Hz I should be able to crank these up to my hearts content. 2 x 9” each side 🙂 it’s 2am now, that’s how excited I am.

Now I can finish putting the last slices in the box.

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: