Need help with basic bluetooth speaker build  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/11/2020 3:03 pm  

@dameo182

That is awesome!  What a great idea!  It reminds me of an updated alarm clock.  I would definitely use something like that by my bedside. So, it is my understanding you sit your phone on it upright to charge?  Great idea!  Does it work in the landscape orientation?  If not, the only thing I would consider later would be to run the wireless charger so it could work in the opposite orientation as well.  That way you could lay in bed and watch a show, catch the game or while laying down.  I guess the charger would end up haveing to move do degrees toward the speakers as well.  Maybe if you ever do a V2.  It almost appears the charging portion would be too high for that as it sits.  Although, I am sure you could easily design a spacer to make it work with your current design.

Honestly, I love it as is.  And there is no need to make any changes. I'm just thinking out loud 😀  

ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
Estimable Member Registered
19/11/2020 4:44 pm  

Thank you for your nice comments, I'm just so happy they are finished, I made two, one for each side of the bed, and honestly the amount of hours I put into these is rediculous, that brass is a pain to get right even though I work with it almost every day, the ageing process can still go either way. I must have sanded it off and re done it 5 or 6 times. But I think the end result was worth it, now I just hope the people I made them for like them too. 

As for the charger working with landscape orientation, it wasn't designed for that but I did try it to see if it worked using my girlfriend's Samsung, being that it's a wider phone than most it managed to work but I'm not sure it would with most thinner phones. But yeah it's something I'll try to address if I ever make a V2. It was actually pretty hard to picture in the design stage where to put things and how the different things would look together, having never made one before, so luckily it seems to have worked out lol 

Thanks again for all the help I got during this build, couldn't have done them without it 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/11/2020 9:16 pm  

@dameo182

You really did an amazing job.  I usually stay away from metals, since they can be so hard to work with.  I am really impressed with the copper work you did. 

ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
20/11/2020 2:25 am  

@123toid

Thank you, I appreciate it, I've decided against using the same material for my surround speakers, it just takes too much time and effort, and since these speakers are only for myself the finish doesn't have to be perfect. I think I just usually lean towards metal finishes due to me being a fabricator/welder so I have the tools needed to produce it already at home, I'm definitely greyer now than I was before I built these things though lol 

ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Trusted Member Registered
20/11/2020 4:27 am  

@dameo182

I know that feeling, even though the result is amazing you've spend so much time and effort on it, that it seems unmanageable to have to do it all again. I've recently been through those feelings with a speaker I made of very hard and even whimsical wood. It's a pain, and often the finish line seems to move further away from you.

But, you can argue with your results, its a very unique piece you have created. The fact that only two exists only make it that more special.

ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
20/11/2020 5:05 am  

@kanaaudio

Yeah definitely, like I said I had to re do the finish multiple times, it was mostly one step forward 3 steps back lol and It gets so easy to lose motivation when that happens so for me the last 10% was the hardest to finish. And yeah your right, there's only two of them in the world so I hope my parents appreciate the work I put in when they receive these at Christmas haha I just have to build the boxes for these now to keep them safe during travel. 

ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Trusted Member Registered
20/11/2020 5:10 am  

@dameo182

I am sure they will 🙂

ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
20/11/2020 5:18 am  

I also changed the original baffle step in these, they are quite bright even with a 6db bs, so I changed it to give an 8db decrease, and now they sound really good, the bass is full and has a good punch to it, and the voices are clear and kind of forward, but not bright, it's just a nice full sound that seems to bring the best out of the songs. So I think they will be happy with the music they play on these once they receive them.

I considered running them in series from just one output of the 2x50 amp I'm using, to try to half the xmax of each driver 'if that is the right term to use there, I'm not sure' but then I decided against it as I wasn't confident about it working ok on just one side of the amp. I think it would probably have protected the drivers a bit more though but someone please correct me if I'm wrong with that. 

ReplyQuote

Page 4 / 4

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: