Portable bluetooth ...

Notifications
Clear all

Portable bluetooth party speaker / boombox without crossover?

RIVATI
(@rivati)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all!

Lately I have been building some small speakers, non-portable, portable, bluetooth, desktop speakers etc. All were very basic, and I'm still very much a beginner.

A friend of mine is a woodworker and asked me to build a party speaker with him. My job is to provide all the electronics, he'll make the enclosure (with my investigation of how to best build it).

The goal of the build is: provide a loud sound with a deep bass, as this will be used in the dressing room of a football-team. (And outside the canteen)

Now, I've been searching on the web and watching a lot (really, a lot) of youtube videos and I've decided to go as easy as possible since crossovers etc. still scare me unfortunately.

I've been wanting to get my hands on one of these amplifiers:

EDIT: Not sure why the link keeps getting removed, but it's called "TPA3116D2.1-BT 2 x 50W + 100W Class D 2.1 Bluetooth 5.0 Amplifier Board with Filter and Volume Controls" on soundimports.eu

Powered by this battery board:

EDIT: this link also gets removed, but it's called "Dayton Audio LBB-5S 18650 21V Lithium Battery Board with Balance & Charge Protection" on soundimports.eu

And then I want to add a subwoofer and passive radiator, but my biggest question is: since the amplifier is a 2.1 channel, what can I use for the 2-channels to prevent having to use a crossover? Can/should I use a full-range speaker for that, a different speaker, or is a crossover inevitable? 

I hope the question is not too dumb, let me know if I didn't give enough information.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I wish I had a website like parts-express in the Netherlands, unfortunately they don't ship to where I live and the DIY kits they sell are a lot more expensive on soundimports.eu

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi there Rivati, welcome to the forum.

Really the best sort of thing you can do for this project is use some sort of crossover (it's not as hard as it looks and I would be happy to help you design one, and I'm sure others would be up for helping too). The only real way to have a speaker without a crossover is to use a full range driver (which don't have much bass because they have to be small for high frequencies). I wouldn't usually dismiss a full range design like that but you said two things, you need it to be loud, and for it to have big bass.

I noticed one of the specifications for your amplifier and control board said that it had control for the crossover for the bass region (a low pass). If it is a filter for this alone (and not a high pass too) then this wouldn't be useful to us. If it had both we should be able to use this as a very basic version of a crossover if you aren't too worried about sound quality.

It would be useful to know your size constraints and budget so we can help you pick the right drivers and enclosure.

I also have to use soundimports.eu often since I live in England so I know how it feels.

As for links, you need to have had a few posts before you can add them as hyperlinks. Maybe introduce yourself in the introduction section. 🙂

Hope this helps,

Elliott

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ReplyQuote

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered

Also, forgot to mention. The two channels on the amplifier board are dedicated left and right channels for left and right speakers, so no, there isn't really a way you could use that to avoid having a crossover. We were all new to audio at one point, you'll get there! 😉

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ReplyQuote
RIVATI
(@rivati)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thank you very much for your answers!

With your explanation I decided to learn some more of crossovers, watched some youtube videos about it and it's a bit less scary now and understand that it would be necessary for what I want.

I will clarify what my goal is (other than loud and huge bass): we already use a partybox in the football-team, but that box is not always available so we would want something that's really owned by the team.

The partybox we now use is the JBL partybox 300.

We have not really set a budget, but we would really like to keep it under 400 euro's.
Firstly because that's already quite the investment for a football-team.
Secondly because at that point I would think: why not just go for the blastbox or executive kit where all the components are decided and which is a proven concept:

soundimports.eu: en/blast-box-kit.html
soundimports.eu: en/executive-kit.html

(For which we'll be building our own enclosure ofcourse)

So I think the main questions are:

- Is creating something that should be equal, preferrably better, than the JBL partybox 300 even doable with this budget?
- If so: is there any chance that I can come up with a components-list which is under the 400 budget, but better than what the 2 kits above have to offer?

It's probably quite a tall order..

For example, a first list of components I had was (a lot of the same parts as the blastbox):

Amplifier: soundimports.eu: en/tpa3116d21-bt.html

Battery board: soundimports.eu: en/dayton-audio-lbb-5s.html

Subwoofer: soundimports.eu: en/dayton-audio-dcs165-4.html

Passive radiator: soundimports.eu: en/dayton-audio-ds215-pr.html

2x Mid-range (full-range): soundimports.eu: en/dayton-audio-dma90-4.html

2x tweeters: soundimports.eu: en/dayton-audio-nd25ta-4.html

(As you can see I'm quite the fan of Dayton Audio haha, but that's mostly because of all the good reviews, the style of the brand and products, and I haven't had a thorough investigation in the other brands)

This comes to a price of: € 258,90
That's without the crossovers, batteries, power adapter, wires etc.

Would that list come close to what I want? And if so, what sort of crossovers would I need?

Thank you so much for your time.

Edit: the links were removed again so I had to be creative

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: