Questions about 3 w...

Notifications
Clear all

Questions about 3 way build  

Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter  

Thinking about building a 3 way setup with some speakers I have at home. 2 questions, at least to start:

1. Is using a tracing program the best way to get frd and zma files if the manufacturer didn't supply them?

2. Should I build separate chambers to separate the mid and the woofer so there are t any issues with the speakers interfering with each other?

Have only worked off plans before so trying my hand at a custom build for my desktop.

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mumbles202

Yes and yes.  You will want a separate chamber for the mid and the woofer.  And a graphing program is the best way to get your preliminary frd and zma files.  The best way, is of course to measure the drivers when you get them.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
Topic starter  

@123toid thanks for confirming. Don't have the tools to do a measurement and just kicking around an idea right now so will try out a graphing program today and see how it turns out. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mumbles202

awesome!  Let us know what you think.  

ReplyQuote

Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
Topic starter  

@123toid Will do for sure. Trying to figure out how to use the FP Graph program.

Quick related question: if PE shows a recommended box volume for a speaker that has a lower frequency than that listed in the frequency response by the manufacturer which value is recommended to use? I plan to use WinISD but wanted to see if it made sense to tune to a frequency below what is listed in the frequency response value from manufacturer.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mumbles202

Are you referring to a subwoofer or midrange? As in low frequency extension?  If that is the case, just go with what is modeled in WinISD.

ReplyQuote

Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @123toid

@mumbles202

Are you referring to a subwoofer or midrange? As in low frequency extension?  If that is the case, just go with what is modeled in WinISD.

I was referring to a midrange. Frequency response is listed as 80-20k, but recommended vented has 43 Hz. Don't expect to get down to that and will be modeling with WinISD but wasn't sure which I should be targeting.

ReplyQuote
Mumbles202
(@mumbles202)
Topic starter  

Didn't have much success with the tracing software as it didn't seem to be anywhere near accurate over the course of the graph. Luckily found the frd and zma file information was posted on PE, I had just missed it.

If the combined response looks like a compressed zig zag for a while I imagine that means the speakers aren't a good match? Using PCD v8 and tried a 2nd order LR crossover but from around the crossover frequency of 3k to 8-9k seemed the graph looked like that. I can grab a snip from my computer, hopefully it saved my session.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: