So i need to design some surround speakers  

Page 4 / 9
  RSS

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
23/10/2020 2:21 am  

@dameo182

It looks pretty good, it might be a little dark sounding, but some people really enjoy that. Your high end is probably about 3db down from the low end.  But if you like that type of sound, you will be fine. 

ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
Estimable Member Registered
23/10/2020 5:40 am  

@123toid

So glad you said it looks ok lol, i was trying to enhance the bass that i could get from these speakers as the subs wont work in the stereo mode of the avr, i know theres the option of adding a seperate bass speaker into it at a later point but i figured id see how they sound first to see if its needed. So i should be aiming for a more level graph than what i have there in general? I dont know if you read my earlier post about the reviews of this avr, saying its a little forward if matched with already bright speakers, so i was trying to avoid that too. I can mess around with it still, at least im on the right track, thanks again  

*edited

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator
23/10/2020 9:51 am  
Posted by: @dameo182

@tvor-ceasar

Are you feeling back to normal now since your surgery? I hope so 

Getting there. Better day by day and definitely more energy. Thanks.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 10:29 am  

@tvor-ceasar

Good im glad to hear it 👍

ReplyQuote

Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 6:39 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

So im getting ready to order all my parts, and ive just been looking at that amplifier. It seems i need to use 'sigma studio' to use the dsp function? Ive just watched this video to try to figure out what that is 

It seems very complicated to use, i wouldnt even know where to get that software, so im hoping either i can use that amp without having to do any equalising, or that theres another option to run these subs? The plate amplifiers are rediculously priced on the website i use, so buying two of those isnt an option, but what about a normal 2x50 amp like i used in my other builds, wouldnt they work fine or is it a crossover problem then? Maybe put a low pass filter between amp and w5? It would be so much easier if this avr's sub outs were powered 🙄

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
23/10/2020 7:35 pm  

@dameo182

They come ready to run - Hook up the power supply, input and speaker wires and you go. If you want to program them, you need the DSPB-ICP1, which you only need to use to program it, no need to keep it in circuit. Of course, since this is the LFE channel, you probably don't need it. You "could" go with on of the lower priced ones too. Just make sure it's in stock and you can get the power supply.

This is the lowest price in-stock amp they have. Look around and see what they have.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 7:42 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Oh i see so i dont need to adjust the frequency of the sub its attached to? I was thinking it was like the 2.1 lapai one, that needs the crossover point to be set. So if i just plug it in and go the avr speaker calibration setup will handle how it all sounds? 

And i assume your idea was to just buy one amp, placed into one of the enclosures and just wired into the other sub? Or is it better to just put terminals on the back of each sub box and place that amp in a seperate little box to allow for different amps to be used in the future if needed? 

I use a website called 'sound imports'as shipping from parts express is expensive with the tax, ill have a look and see what they have, ill probably get the amp you originally suggested, im just worried about having to use that computer software if my avr cant dial the subs in. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
23/10/2020 7:55 pm  

@dameo182 Since they are hooked to the LFE channels, they only get those signals, so they don't actually need  any crossover, either physical or electronic. Where you put it depends on how long your input cable runs are going to be. If they will be too long, it's better to run speaker cables. So, personal preference and placement situation.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 8:02 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Thankyou for clearing that up for me, i learn something everytime i speak to you lol 

So given the amp is 50w at 4ohms, and my avr isnt powering the subs as such, so need need to stick in the 6-12ohm range,  i can get one of those amps and two 4ohm w5s and it should work ok? Or would you get 8ohm ones to reduce the stress on the amp? 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
23/10/2020 8:22 pm  

@dameo182

As long as the amp is rated to 4 ohm, you're good to go. All you are getting from the AVR is the signal.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 8:29 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Yeah i thought so, ill get the 4ohm drivers then, well i think im almost done with this design, unless theres something i encounter along the way that i need some advice on, thankyou for all of your help with this project, hopefully in a month or so time i can update this thread with pics of all my speakers installed and working effortlessly lol 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
23/10/2020 9:40 pm  

You could always base it on The Voxel box and port, minus the electronics. It's already designed.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 9:58 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

I may do, i think ive seen that mentioned on youtube so ill have a gander at it, ive literally just ordered all the parts, 42 items lol. At a cost of £382, i could probably have bought a full ready made set of speakers for that lol but i enjoy the uniqueness of diy speakers. I just hope it all works. Im hoping my £450 (including wood) for all these speakers gives me a sound equal to £1000 worth of ready made ones. I might be being a bit optimistic there though 😂

If i decide to change how im doing the subs, and make the voxel i think they should let me return the amplifier i bought to replace it with the parts for that instead, if not ill use that amp on another project 

ReplyQuote
Dameo182
(@dameo182)
23/10/2020 10:02 pm  

Im considering buying a microphone and the software, so i can measure these speakers in the box, i know theyre cheap speakers in comparison to almost every other home cinema system but id still like to do the best job i can and get the best sound possible from these, being a perfectionist, if i dont like how they sound ill end up spending hours and hours trying to fix them 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
24/10/2020 12:46 am  

@dameo182

It is fairly complicated to use.  However, what I would do is download Sigma Studios.  It is free to download and use.  Then just start messing around with it.  I'll have to see if I can find some beginner videos.  If not, it might be something I can do sometime.  It is a very powerful program that offers a lot.  But even if you just use it for parametric EQ or high pass and low pass, it is very powerful. Having said that, powerful, also means it takes time to learn.  Especially if you want to go way past the basics. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 9

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: