Emotiva: Shop Now

Speakers connecting via wifi?  

RSS

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Eminent Member Registered
12/10/2020 8:27 am  

Hi guys!

Does anyone have experience with making speakers connecting over wifi rather than bluetooth? I am having a hard time locating any products for such a setup?

Thanks 🙂

pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
13/10/2020 6:26 am  

Hi Kanaaudio,

Not really myself. I have read of guys connecting Chromecasts somehow (HDMI) to active speakers and casting music over Wifi from phones, thus avoiding the losses via bluetooth.  That would be the least expensive method.

OR connecting an Apple TV and using Airplay (again HDMI) but thats a bit trickier without a screen to verify the device settings. I use this setup on my main AV setup (Harmon Kardan amp and Wharfdale Diamonds) just to play music sometimes and you can do it without the screen switched on.

Hope this helps somewhat. Cheers. Peter from Australia.

ReplyQuote

pwarren3030
(@pwarren3030)
13/10/2020 6:27 am  

Harman Kardon

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
13/10/2020 7:10 am  

@pwarren3030

Thanks for the info. I get what you are saying, but I was looking for something like the more established brands are using rather than the workarounds. For example, I have an old Beoplay device, called Beoplay A9. Its a great great speaker I think, and it can connect via wifi on the same terms as regular Bluetooth - that is, you find the speaker in your wifi menu, rather than the bluetooth menu in your phones settings. Other than that, you need no additional gear to get it going.

I don't know what the technology inside looks like, and I don't have the heart to find out by simply peeking under the hood. I figured it was just a different kind of circuit board.

I've been looking for disassembly videos online, but funny enough no one seems eager to split the thing about for no apparent reason.

ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
13/10/2020 7:14 am  

@pwarren3030

I think you are right, that the wifi technology is more expensive in general and obviously if you are a major brand planning to sell a million plus examples of the same speakers it makes sense to develop something brand-specific. But still, it makes no sense that such boards wouldn't be available somewhere. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
13/10/2020 4:15 pm  

If you are looking at a place like Parts Express, the offers are relatively limited and can become pricey for certain units. A decent place to search for such ideas is Instructables. Here's a search page. I thought this looked promising at first glance. 

Next place I remembered reading was in Nuts n Volts magazine. This Raspberry PI controlled unit looks promising.

I haven't even looked at the other usual suspects like Banggood or AliExpress.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/10/2020 11:59 pm  

@kanaaudio

you should look into Arylic.  They sell all kinds of products that all connect via WiFi.  They also will sell you DIY boards.  I use them in my house and project.  I really love them.  They are a great company as well.  Just download their app and you can create as many zones as you want (up to 10 I believe). You can also add any Arylic unit to a zone to play the same music.   

kanaaudio liked
ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
22/10/2020 5:36 pm  

@123toid

thanks! I’ll have to look into it, but from what you write, this might be exactly what I am looking for!
Always good to start something new with a good recommendation in hand, thanks for that 🙂

Thanks again, and I hope you are back to your old self once again. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
22/10/2020 8:08 pm  

@kanaaudio

Thanks I am getting there.  Still not 100%, but much closer than I was. 

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
23/10/2020 2:37 am  

@123toid

That’s good to hear!

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: