The new build - The...

The new build - The Alyen’s  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
Estimable Member Registered
25/09/2019 4:27 pm  

So, I’ve begun working on 1 of my 2 new builds for MWAF. This is going to be a 4-way design (I mean...why not?) in a moderately sized tower. The main interesting piece of this build is that it is built around an Ultimax 8” subwoofer.  So, to start this first post off right, I decided to share some nice 8” flex. Enjoy:

P.s. - I guess the forum video player won’t play in slow-mo but you can scrub through frame by frame and see these babies flex!

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
26/09/2019 1:18 am  

This is awesome!  I actually was thinking about using that ultimax in a build as well. You beat me to it!  That thing can move, haha.  I can't wait to see what you end up doing.  It looks awesome already.  

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
26/09/2019 7:33 am  

@123toid

I’m excited about it for sure!  My only complaint so far is the efficiency...  the setup would match so much better if it had about 3 more dB but it is what it is. I tossed around the idea of two per speaker but $$$ and cabinet size just would not allow it. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
27/09/2019 12:34 am  

@lindelium18

Are you using a separate amplifier for the subwoofer?  Or are you going to run it as a traditional three way?  I have always like Definitive Technology and Golden ear, where they power the sub separately, but you still hook it up via normal speaker wire.  There are some advantages to this.  One being you have more adjustability of the loudness of the bass depending on seating distance and another, is of course, making the top half of the speaker more efficient.  In this case you wouldn't need nearly as much power to get the top half to an decent listening level.  But this comes all at a drawback...cost.  

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
27/09/2019 7:29 am  

@123toid

Well, since these are going to be my Dayton Audio entry for the MWAF speaker building contest, I think I have to run them as a typical single input setup (correct me if I’m wrong). However, that is a good idea for long term setup.  Now you’ve got me thinking...

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
29/09/2019 12:04 am  

@lindelium18

I am not sure about that.  I think it just needs to be the drivers that are Dayton.  I don't think an amplifier would make much of a difference.  And assuming you use the subwoofer amplifier variable crossover with volume, you would still hook it up via normal speaker wire.  I can ask a few people at PE if you would like. 

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
29/09/2019 1:38 am  

@123toid

Yeah, why don’t you see what you can find out. I could be wrong but I thought only the “open unlimited” could have additional amplification or active crossover/DSP etc...  let me know what you find out. I appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
29/09/2019 12:47 pm  

These were the rules for 2019. Wish they'd get 2020's up for those who would like to participate, if there are any changes.

Rules

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

Lindelium18
(@lindelium18)
29/09/2019 8:21 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

Yeah, I read those. I take that to mean that speakers with separate amplification will be in the open unlimited category...but maybe I’m wrong. 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
30/09/2019 9:24 am  

@lindelium18

That's my take also. Somewhere else it explains the gear used for the non-powered categories, amp, source, etc.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
30/09/2019 11:53 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

The problem that I am having, is you really do not have an active speaker.  Granted the subwoofer is active, but the speaker itself is not.  And you would still hook it up the same way as a passive speaker.  You are probably right that it'll knock itself into the open unlimited, but I am curious, since none really define this type of setup.  But I guess that is exactly what open unlimited says.  I'll still ask an engineer I know at Parts Express that helps run the competition to see if he has run across this or what they would categorize it.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
01/10/2019 9:42 am  
I am talking with Tim at Parts Express. He suggests sending an email to Tech@parts-express.com to get the question to the correct person.

Addendum:
More to the point, I found at the bottom of the Rules page the email for questions to MWAF itself: staff@midwestaudiofest.com

Also, to expound on the gear used for driving the speakers during the contest, that is below the audio list on the Rules page as well.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
01/10/2019 8:48 pm  

Here's the playlist on YouTube for MWAF 2019 . When they update, I'll compile the new one, if it has changed.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Kevin Kendrick
(@kevin-kendrick)
Trusted Member Registered
02/10/2019 5:33 pm  

@123toid

My understanding (from conversations on the TT forum) is that if it requires power in any form, it's in the "unlimited class". It must be completely passive to qualify for the other classes. It's been a couple of years since I've participated, so perhaps the rules have changed.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
04/10/2019 10:57 pm  

@kevin-kendrick

First of all, great to see you back!  I don't want to hijack the thread, but wanted to get that out there.  As far as the competition goes, that stinks. I like the idea of doing a lot of smaller builds with powered subwoofers built in. But I don't think a lot of them when do real well in the open unlimited class. Although I've always been a fan of speakers like golden ear.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Share:

%d bloggers like this:

Please Login or Register