Notifications
Clear all

The Tower  

herrvike
(@herrvike)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi, built a few smaller speakers, but wanted something a bit more ´paow´! in the living room.. So, let me know what ya think. You see any mistakes, you point them out! All I have right now is the bare skeleton of the speaker. 

116377709 725160624990248 5923429444415344039 n
116891389 519298782171889 1175059517222680669 n

So, right now I have 2 ideas for these "frames". A WMTMW or a WTWW design. - I had massive vertical off-axis problems with the two mids in the WMTMW design. So I'm leaning more towards running 3 * 8:s and a tweeter.

Heres the crossover for them;

Let me know what you guys think, eager to hear your feedback.

123Toid liked
herrvike
(@herrvike)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Okay, so I think I've settled... on the design at least.. we're going quads!..

quad 8 s

Why? Well having three 8" woofers, in parallel was just too hard on the amp @8Ohm/3 = 2,6 Ohm. So tried running a pair in serial/parallel, but then I had a new problem with 1 speaker getting way too much power. And finding 12 Ohms woofers.. well, it's slim pickings... So going four 8 Ohm wired in parallel-serial and ending up with a 4 Ohms load on the low-end. - Amp will be happy

Also going to change the tweeter to a DA32TX00-08 and Thinking of running four Visaton GF 200 2x4 Ohm. But the Dayton Audio RS255-8 is very good too. What do you think?

I'll post the crossover design later.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

herrvike
(@herrvike)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

As promised, the Quads brain

xover quad

Whatcha think? 

ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Eminent Member Registered

Can't comment on the crossover, but you got some nice monkey coffins going on there! be sure to put some coasters on those monsters so you can move them around!

Being curved cabinets, what are your plans for the sides? are you going with a single curved MDF sheet or a multi-layered panel?

ReplyQuote

herrvike
(@herrvike)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@martin They will not be easily movable, they are 1220mm in height, around 500mm deep and around 300mm wide (varying). They will sit on a base plate a little bigger than the woofer itself, with rubber feet. And will have spikes between the speaker and the base plate 🙂 no more Mrs banging on them with the vacuum cleaner:) 

I was I initially going for a 19mm kerfed mdf, but going to laminate 3mm sheets of hard fiberboard, think about 6 layers each side. Building that rig now 😛 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
Martin
(@martin)
Eminent Member Registered

@herrvike I thought so, too many things can go wrong while kerfing such big panels. Take your time gluing up and clamping the layers, I tried that once and botched the first one by hurrying it.

ReplyQuote

herrvike
(@herrvike)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  
Posted by: @martin

@herrvike I thought so, too many things can go wrong while kerfing such big panels. Take your time gluing up and clamping the layers, I tried that once and botched the first one by hurrying it.

The amount of hours watching woodworking tutorials on YouTube is embarrassingly high... 😂

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@herrvike

I agree with @martin I would rather laminate many layers than kerf it.  Keep in mind once you add those curves, you also add strength, so you won't need to go as thick.  But if you are making it this nice...you might as well.  I really excited to see this come together.  It is a beautiful design. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

herrvike
(@herrvike)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid I hope it comes together to 🙂 Hoping to get the lamination going over new year's 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: