Notifications
Clear all

The Uglies Tower and Surround Build Log

Page 4 / 5

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered

@123toid

Fair enough, I have a small room you see so these things are easier for me to notice. I didn't think about the fact that your room might be bigger than mine. 🤦‍♂️

You said you were thinking about making this into an atoms build didn't you? If so you should really consider trying to get each of the speakers to voice as similarly as possible, if the centre channel sounds a bit different to your left and right, maybe try a different design for the rears. This is also a good consideration to make with buying in-ceiling speakers (I think you mentioned that), which is why I prefer height speakers instead, but not everyone has the luxury of not caring about speakers protruding from the tops of walls. 😀

Good luck with this project Toid.

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered

I haven’t read the whole thread yet but op I think you can do better on making the ugliest speakers in the world,next time maybe. I don’t think they look that bad. It is unusual to try and do that with such nice looking drivers though. Those woofers look like a subs. 

That tweeter looks great also. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@oneway

Thank you.  I didn't take my time on the finish.  Just to kind of prove, that the looks are secondary to the sound in DIY.  Or stated differently, it is okay to make mistakes in the finish when you first start off.  You can always redo that. So your finish skill should not stop you from DIY work. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

oneway liked
ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)

@123toid

the 4” version of your woofer looks like it would be great  for a small Bluetooth project. Thinking about doing something for a Christmas gift this year.

Seen the video hopefully she lets you keep them for a while lol

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)

@123toid

I know it’s an old post, but looking at your pictures of the inside of the towers I am wondering - what are the vertical holes for? Is it just a structural plate allowing air to pass or does it mean something for the sound? They are cut very straight and symmetrical 🙂

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)

@123toid

btw, it’s super cool that you blog about these projects of yours, it really brings substance to the forum. 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@kanaaudio

They are braces to help deaden the cabinet and reduce/stop unwanted resonance.  I added the holes to allow air to still flow freely in the cabinet.

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)

@123toid

I thought as much, but then I became unsure because the holes are cut so perfect and symmetrical, I thought there might be a different reason to it as well  🙂

ReplyQuote

cbw_vt
(@cbw_vt)
New Member Registered

@123toid

I know it's been a while since this thread was started, but I was wondering if you had a suggestion for another woofer to include in this design other than the tang band?  Looking at parts express they are only selling these in large quantities and I cannot find another site to purchase the same driver.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@cbw_vt

I wish I did.  It really does require that woofer.  Typically when PE does this, it is because they either have more on order or a seeing the level of interest, etc.  I would give them a call and see if they plan on restocking these regularly again.  This Covid pandemic has really changed a lot. 

ReplyQuote

etmike99
(@etmike99)
Active Member Registered

@123toid Did you ever get any further on a clone of those Definitives you mentioned, or did you decide it isn't worth the time?

I'm super interested in a set of DIY bipole surrounds for my theater build. 

My plan currently is to do:

5 of your THX clones for LCR and rear surrounds

4 of your Eminance ATMOs builds for the ceiling

and possibly two more for the side surrounds, however, since I will have multiple rows of seating, I would love to play around with bipoles in these locations. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@etmike99

You are going to have a killer setup!

I didn't.  It really felt like a waste of time.  It was going to cost too much.  By the time you were finished, you might as well buy definitive towers. I may pick it up in the future, but I have no plans.  I do want to later this year design a n speaker inspired by the Klipsch KPT-800M.  These are rear surround designed for small commercial theaters.  If I can pull it off, I think they will make excellent surrounds.  But as of now, this is just a thought process.  I have not taken any action on it. 

ReplyQuote

etmike99
(@etmike99)
Active Member Registered

@123toid That makes sense. I’ll probably just end up doing the ATMOS speakers as side surrounds optimized for my seat, and the second row will just have to be happy with whatever sound it gets!! Lol. The more reading/research I do  the less it seems bipole/dipole speakers really add anything to the mix anyway. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
etmike99
(@etmike99)
Active Member Registered

@123toid The Klipsch KPT-800M look like a fun build! I hope you do get around to doing that one. I know I'd be more than willing to pay for those plans if you pull it off. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Aeleks
(@aeleks)
New Member Registered

Hi all,

I come back to this forum for a while now. I highly enjoyed building the Dinas. They just sound fantastic. Often came back here to get some advice posted to this forum. Thanks to all for that.

Now that I'm finished with my Dinas build I'm looking for a new project. That`s when die Uglies caught my eye on Toids Youtube channel. Sadly the shop tells me, that the plans are no longer available for sale. Couldn't find any reason why in the forum. Any chance to get to the plans or are they for a reason disabled in the store?

Greetings

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: