The Uglies Tower and Surround Build Log  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Estimable Member Registered
25/04/2020 11:48 am  

@123toid

Fair enough, I have a small room you see so these things are easier for me to notice. I didn't think about the fact that your room might be bigger than mine. 🤦‍♂️

You said you were thinking about making this into an atoms build didn't you? If so you should really consider trying to get each of the speakers to voice as similarly as possible, if the centre channel sounds a bit different to your left and right, maybe try a different design for the rears. This is also a good consideration to make with buying in-ceiling speakers (I think you mentioned that), which is why I prefer height speakers instead, but not everyone has the luxury of not caring about speakers protruding from the tops of walls. 😀

Good luck with this project Toid.

ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
Trusted Member Registered
25/04/2020 1:06 pm  

I haven’t read the whole thread yet but op I think you can do better on making the ugliest speakers in the world,next time maybe. I don’t think they look that bad. It is unusual to try and do that with such nice looking drivers though. Those woofers look like a subs. 

That tweeter looks great also. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
25/04/2020 3:33 pm  

@oneway

Thank you.  I didn't take my time on the finish.  Just to kind of prove, that the looks are secondary to the sound in DIY.  Or stated differently, it is okay to make mistakes in the finish when you first start off.  You can always redo that. So your finish skill should not stop you from DIY work. 

oneway liked
ReplyQuote
oneway
(@oneway)
25/04/2020 5:36 pm  

@123toid

the 4” version of your woofer looks like it would be great  for a small Bluetooth project. Thinking about doing something for a Christmas gift this year.

Seen the video hopefully she lets you keep them for a while lol

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
25/10/2020 2:28 pm  

@123toid

I know it’s an old post, but looking at your pictures of the inside of the towers I am wondering - what are the vertical holes for? Is it just a structural plate allowing air to pass or does it mean something for the sound? They are cut very straight and symmetrical 🙂

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
25/10/2020 2:30 pm  

@123toid

btw, it’s super cool that you blog about these projects of yours, it really brings substance to the forum. 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
26/10/2020 3:25 am  

@kanaaudio

They are braces to help deaden the cabinet and reduce/stop unwanted resonance.  I added the holes to allow air to still flow freely in the cabinet.

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
26/10/2020 4:46 am  

@123toid

I thought as much, but then I became unsure because the holes are cut so perfect and symmetrical, I thought there might be a different reason to it as well  🙂

ReplyQuote

Page 4 / 4

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: