Tools, Tools, Tools...

Notifications
Clear all

Tools, Tools, Tools!!! What you have, what you want, etc.

Page 1 / 2

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Trusted Member Registered
Topic starter  

So, this is where I'd like to talk about tools made for building speaker cabinets. I'm talking different table saws, routers, jigs (and possibly how to make your own jigs for some things), favorite saw blades, circ and track saws, jig and recip saws, favorite plans for building out table saws or for a routing table, calibration equipment for your equipment, favorite bits and saw blades, etc.

Even though deciding on speakers, asking questions about how to assemble or make a crossover are essential, so are the tools to build.

As such, I'm going to kick off the list with my potential purchase list on tools with my next paycheck after I finish this project:

1) Table Saws:

Laguna Fusion F2

Harvey alpha hw110lc-36p

Grizzly G0899

What is notable with these three table saws, other than the price (around $1500, give or take, plus shipping) is that they all have cabinet mounted trunnions rather than table mounted trunnions, making it basically a cabinet saw. But, they also are 110V 15A (I think one might be 16A) saws. This means not having to run new lines for 220V or 110V 30A. I'm a renter, so that is a bit of an issue, otherwise I'd build that cost into the price of the table saw. Also, these need thin kerf blades to lessen the load on them.

2) Routers

Triton TRA001 3.25HP (tack on the Kreg Router insert for Triton TRA001)

Either Bosch Colt 1HP or Makita RT0701CX3 1-1/4 HP Compact Router Kit

3) measurement equipment

Solid Square

Compound square

speed square/delve square

Blade alignment gauge ( https://www.chipsfly.com/ez-align-alignment-gauge.html)

Plane Gauge ( https://www.chipsfly.com/digital-plane-check-gauge.html)

That should be enough to get the conversation started. Thoughts? Opinions? What is your setup?

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Nice! I'll put some of the tools I have later. But the one I'm most excited about isn't going to be here until July. It's the CNC4NEWBIE 4x4 pro CNC. 

FB IMG 1619364115874
FB IMG 1619364120823
FB IMG 1619364115874
FB IMG 1619364126992
FB IMG 1619364137312
FB IMG 1619364132157
FB IMG 1619364148762
FB IMG 1619364143607

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @123toid

Nice! I'll put some of the tools I have later. But the one I'm most excited about isn't going to be here until July. It's the CNC4NEWBIE 4x4 pro CNC. 

FB IMG 1619364115874
FB IMG 1619364120823
FB IMG 1619364115874
FB IMG 1619364126992
FB IMG 1619364137312
FB IMG 1619364132157
FB IMG 1619364148762
FB IMG 1619364143607

I will likely get a CNC down the road, but have to start somewhere. Also, I'd like to start building more furniture for around the house, so want to get equipment for me to do that (once lumber prices return to reality, that is; might not go to pre-2020 levels, but should be lower than now once they work through the timber to return inventory levels to where they should be).

Definitely a nice machine there! I'm still trying to decide if I should grab a planer since we have a lumber yard with rough cut nearby.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

That is one tool that I would really like to have that I don't. I really need to get a planer. I've had my eye on this DeWalt https://amzn.to/3fzvolW I like the fact that it comes with the outfeed tables and has a hookup for dust collection. You definitely need that if you're going to get a planer. There's definitely more industrial ones out there. But I like the compact size of this.

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

@123toid - yeah, missed out on a used one this week while working. Shame too. $300 for it. But when you don't have time to take an hour or so to drive and grab it...

Hell, there is even an old Hitachi that is reasonably priced. Unfortunately, that model hasn't been made since the 90s, so keeping it going down the road might get rough, but it is their old planer/jointer.

I'm also debating getting one of the used table saws and just swapping the motor for a 115V. It would under power it down to the ones I'm considering, but is an option and I would have the more powerful motor on hand for the future. Still, cost for most of them would then be about the cost of the ones I was looking at anyway.

But I definitely hear you on that planer!

ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

@123toid - just saw your new Kartesian build. Nice. I like doing the stacking to get the bent shape, as the only other way I know to do that is to cut slots into the plywood deep enough that you only have 1 or 2 layers and can bend the plywood to shape it around the frame, which can require filling those after bent for speakers.

Also, the WEN Belt and Disc Sander is currently on sale and looks real nice. This specific one is practically identical to the Grizzly and Rockwell and Ryobi sanders (and whomever else likely gets it from the same shop OEM). But at $106, it's a good price.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6502T-4-3-Amp-Belt-Sander/dp/B07KL4QGSQ

How'd those speakers sound?

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ajc9988 

I actually have one, but a craftsman.  I thought I would show the sander on the video, so people know you don't have to have all the best tools in the world.  Plus I really like this Milwaukee sander. It is significantly better than my old Dewalt sander. It is much faster at removal and just does an overall better job.

I can't speaker too much on the Kartesian speakers. I didn't use any passive crossover components, such as a baffle step circuit or notch filters.  Instead, I plan to DSP them, similar to what Bose does.  In my opinion small speakers like this, that is the best thing to do (typically).  Once I DSP them, I'll have a video out with my final thought and the response graphs before and after. 

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

@123toid - I hear ya. I just received that Wen and am surprised at the weight and robust nature of it. I was really expecting less for the price (this is better than the other one WEN has which is one tier lower on quality, which matches the Harbor Freight unit that was on sale around $80 yesterday, which seeing it in person, that also has a decent quality as well, when I was there picking up a 14 gallon shop vac yesterday for $80 or $90).

I was tempted by their Avanti HVLP sprayers they just released, a 3-turbine ($600) and 5-turbine ($800) affair that mimics the design of the titan capspray sprayers. But they do not give the PSI or CFM of the sprayers on the website, unfortunately, and I forgot to look for that on the box while there. The 3-stage can handle about anything short of latex, and the 4 and 5 stage can handle latex if diluted properly and using the large mm nozzles. The Fuji mini-mite 3 platinum and Apollo ECO 3, both with the non-bleed spray guns, cost $685, and the Fuji mini-mite 4 is $865 and ECO 4 is $835 with the non-bleed spray gun (cheaper with the bleed type, but I would want non-bleed).

And I hear you on the DSP. Hell, even the one guy that tests speakers for audioholics has started saying, if done right, active crossovers and dsp can achieve more than passive (while noting many companies do not yet do it right, but those that do, it is hard to find a speaker that is passive that can compete short of multiple thousands being spent). With that said, I also like that idea you and Erin mentioned in that one talk about using active to dial in the passive, then create a passive that can replicate that. That also opens up to using the DSP separate from the passive crossover, which potentially can smooth it out even more. But that is me pontificating.

Looking forward to the video.

ReplyQuote

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered

Thought I might post what tools I have and etc here in case anyone is interested. I usually play around with BMRs or other small drivers for experimenting on how to get accurate sound so typically I use my 3D printer to build cabinets for them (A prusa i3 Mk3S). Since I plan to be building out a larger enclosure for an 8" mid-sub woofer I will be becoming a member of my local makers space and using their CNC mill and woodworking equipment since I have none. As for other things I have, I have a emm-6 which is an XLR measurement microphone and I use various surround outputs from my computer motherboard and Equaliser APO with rePhase to EQ the drivers responses and cross over between channels that each run different drivers. I have found this to be very useful for testing. This is mostly used as an alternative to a device such as a Wondom jab3 device (until mine arrives) and it's capability is actually more than a miniDSPHD as long as you don't mind losing surround sound, however it is also not portable. I plan to get a UMIK-1 at some point since it will greatly simplify the process since I won't have to keep setting up the XLR mic. Sorry if this was too much detail for what is meant to be a tools page but I figured it might be useful to those in a similar situation to me. Such as having a desktop gaming motherboard, or a small place with no room for a workshop, hence the makers space. 🙂👍

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

@elliottdesigns - it is ABSOLUTELY the right place to discuss that. Closest makers space to me worth it is about a 40min drive each way. So hauling my materials back and forth would be a bit of a hassle, although my local library has an amazing 3D printer that has a good capacity and quality. I need to see if they have updated their equipment in the past 2 years. It was a decently fair price for material and use cost of the printer.

And calibration equipment is most definitely tools. I need to find some decent, but cheap, new tripods for both the mic work and for my TV calibration equipment (I have the i1D3 (i1 Display Pro) colorimeter and the i1 pro 2 (spectrophotometer)). Heat of a TV, when you have the i1D3, can cause the sensor to drift. They have an algorithm to compensate for it, but it is even better to have a tripod with an arm and to screw the i1D3 into that, which then you can leave barely off the TV and get less to no drift. But, if doing that, you now do not have it blocking out the ambient light (and I do not know of a hood for that device, similar to the rubber hoods for the reference spectros, like Colorimetry Research, and Klein K10-A colorimeter). But if trying to get the main equipment for calibrating displays professionally, including ISF certification, it is about $30K at the high end (and that is for the Colorimetry Research CR-300 which is about $15K, the Klein K10-A about $7K, the Murideo Seven-G which is $5K (pattern tester and signal tester), and then paying for the level 2 certification from ISF (couple grand); excluding pricing of tripods, dual holders for the sensors, and the software from SpectraCAL or LightSpace (another $1500-3000)). With that, you could do calibrations from theaters to home and everywhere in between. But that is if you want to do it professionally (and then do your corporate filings to register your company, which is de minimus at that point, and which I could draft those documents for myself to file with the Sec. of State). If you cannot tell, I priced out the cost to do it as a profession. But that is me getting sidetracked.

Yes, discussing calibration tools is discussing tools. Discussing what equipment makers spaces have, so people can look them up as an alternative, is discussing tools. Discussing what your libraries have, 3D printers, and to a degree even software to be used with the tools or design, are all talking tools.

So go ham so long as you are talking tools. Measurement devices are so important, yet often overlooked. Whether talking about gauges, calibration mics, even straight edges and squares. All are tools, and those are some important ones.

ReplyQuote

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

17" 16-speed drill - check. Granted used, but for under $200.

ReplyQuote
ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered

@ajc9988

Yeah my makers space is about the same distance but being I still live with my mum, I don't have much room for proper tools or tables🤣

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

@elliottdesigns That's all good. I'm going to have to go into the garage and clean out a crap ton of boxes, move out some stuff like bone china that we got when living in Germany, etc. If I move the boxes and that, take an old mattress not being used anymore to a dump (my old mattress went into the guest room, that mattress went to the garage, but it is so old it really needs put out to pasture, not for sale).

But, makers spaces are great because you have less maintenance, etc.

ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

Anyone look for a planer...

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Topic starter  

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW735X-Two-Speed-Thickness-Package/dp/B003OX9KME/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=dewalt+dw675x&qid=1623448122&sr=8-1

Tried reposting the link. Or you can look up Dewalt DW735X on Amazon to find it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: