Emotiva: Shop Now

What component did I break?  

RSS

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
Trusted Member Registered
19/11/2020 4:58 am  

Hi guys 🙂

I made a quick "boombox" for my wife when this hole covid19 issue hit Denmark back in march, and the country went into lock-down, so she could continue her work-outs from home.

I made it from the C-note kit from partsexpress and essentially, its just the two bookshelf speakers stuck together with a bluetooth board and battery inside.

I has worked wonders up until now, and I am hoping you would have a qualified guess as to what is broken.

I get, what I fell like is, full power from one side. The driver moves and vibrates as normal. From the other side I get only about 10 % power. I still feel the vibrations, but they are very small. Whereas I can see the good driver move as normal, I can't really see any movement in the other. Almost no sound is produced by the bad one.

So - I just figured I'd hear what your thoughts where, before I end up taking everything apart 🙂

How to I best troubleshoot? Is it most likely the crossover, driver or even the card? I guess I can rule out the components inside if I unsolder the driver and put that crossover on the good driver in stead?

TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator
19/11/2020 1:49 pm  

In general, the Troubleshooting, in this instance, would be to:

1. Switch the left / right speaker leads to see if the problem follows the wires. If the problem moves, it is before the speakers.

2. Test the inputs with a known, good, amplifier. If both sides work, then it is a problem with the on-board amp.

3. At this point, you have to decide how advanced your skills are in order to further troubleshoot. If you are not confident or not knowledgeable enough to do component level repair, then replace the amp with a similar rated unit. Otherwise, dive into the fun world of electronic repair.

Who knows, you may dig into the wiring and find something worked loose (best case scenario). Or, you may have to replace 1 or 2 components.

Remember, it is always a good thing to have enough "known good" parts lying around in order to verify other unknown parts. It helps make the initial diagnosis a fast process.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
19/11/2020 2:26 pm  

@tvor-ceasar
Thanks for that guide. I was hoping for an answer in the lines of “oh, that’s clearly because of ... “ :-D. 
But I guess only very few things ever work out that way. 
Anyway, this gives me some structure to start from. I wouldn’t be able to troubleshoot the crossovers or the amp board, so let’s hope it’s one of the first two. I guess I could always switch the side connections on the crossover as well, same as for the drivers. That would give tell me if some of the crossover components are done, but I wouldn’t be able to figure out which. 

Anyway, I’ll dive into it, thanks ceasar 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Honorable Member Moderator
19/11/2020 2:39 pm  

@kanaaudio

Anytime. 👍 😀 Let us know what you find when you start getting into it. There's always a chance that someone else may have an idea that may fix it, or at least be more definitive.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/11/2020 2:57 pm  

@kanaaudio

Just to clarify, you have one stereo amplifier?  And you hooked up each "speaker" to either side of the amplifier?  If that is the case, it sounds like an amplifier issue or bad connection.  Definitely do what @tvor-ceasar said first and then report back. 

kanaaudio liked
ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
19/11/2020 3:33 pm  

@123toid
Yes I used one DA KAB-250v3 and connected the outputs to each of the crossover units that came with the kit.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/11/2020 9:17 pm  

@kanaaudio

definitely switch the wires around.  Like @tvor-caesar said it'll let us know where the issue may lie, then we can help point you in the right direction from there. 

ReplyQuote
kanaaudio
(@kanaaudio)
20/11/2020 4:46 am  

@123toid

Ok, will do - thanks

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:

Emotiva: Shop Now

%d bloggers like this: