Page 6 / 6
  RSS

DIYAudiphileElliottBridge
(@diyaudiphileelliottbridge)
Estimable Member Registered
21/05/2020 5:12 am  

@tvor-ceasar

@123toid

Hi guys, it has been a while now. I was just wondering if you had any updates on testing for the project. 🙂

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/05/2020 11:03 am  

@diyaudiphileelliottbridge

I need to apologize for not updating you guys. My dad went into the hospital and I put this on the back burner while that was going on. He is out now, so I am getting back to normalcy.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
21/05/2020 1:08 pm  

I hope all is better with your dad and it was nothing permanent. Family first. 

Whenever you get to it is fine for me. I've been busy straight through all this and things are picking up even more, so... at this point, I'm just curious what they'd sound like with just a single high pass cap on the tweeter, say maybe a 15uF. That'd put it at about 2650 Hz. Just for a start.

Whenever it happens, just let us know. We're here and not going anywhere.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
23/05/2020 3:21 pm  

Did a bit of looking at the drivers and my quick suggestion above. Threw them in XSim and scrolled the value up and down, and it looks like the value I picked was the best available via PE's Cap page.

15uFhighpass

So, this is just a starting point. Anyone else have a suggestion?

My only concern about much more complex designs is that they will most likely reduce the output of the PC-83, which will necessitate the attenuation of the ND16FA even more than the graph shows is needed. Of course, these are for desktop / nearfield and they are rated for 30 Watts, so there's that.

Also, I don't like the way that XSim plots the PC-83 falling off when it's connected full range. Maybe I'm missing something.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
23/05/2020 10:56 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

I think we are switching to the ND90-8 from the PC83-4.  This will make it more versatile.  I plan to make the box this week.  MY wife works weekends, so I don't get to work on projects during this time.  I watch the kids instead 🙂 

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
23/05/2020 11:39 pm  

Switching to the ND90-8 will drop the bottom end a good bit, FB ~63 Hz and F3 ~59 Hz, assuming the same 0.09 Cu.Ft. box. Port will change, but we can discuss that too. I'll have to download the files and re-run the simple X-over, but I can see the tweeter will need some attenuation, as it's about 12 dB louder.

-Charlie

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
23/05/2020 11:41 pm  

@tvor-ceasar

I'll make sure to get the z offset and the anechoic chamber files for you guys as soon as I build the box. That way we can get an accurate representation of what it'll do.

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
24/05/2020 2:50 am  

Simplest I could come up with that flattened out the massive hump of the tweeter vs. the full range. A little under $4 per speaker at PE. And yes, the tweeter is reversed. Looked real ugly in the normal position. And a lowpass on the Full range really didn't do anything to help, so why add complexity where it's not necessary.

ND90 8 ND16FA 4 X over
ND90 8 ND16FA 4 X over Freq
ND90 8 ND16FA 4 X over Imp

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share:
%d bloggers like this: