Why not Morel tweet...

Notifications
Clear all

Why not Morel tweeters?

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

I see a lot of speaker builds out on the forum, but little of morel drivers or reviews. Just grabbed a set 8 ohm mdt-29 tweeters, but little info on these. Being able to cross them as low as 2 k, they should be great for a lot of projects especially with a low price. Soft dome tweeters are normally smooth sounding. Just wondering? Thoughts?

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@2loud

I love Morel tweeters.  I think part of the reason you don't see more is the sheer cost.  It would seem a lot of people don't understand the benefit of a more expensive tweeter.  The MDT 29 is one of their mid-range tweeters and is really nice.  I especially like that they include a waterfall graph.  You can see in that graph alone, why they are so desirable.  Very fast without much ringing.  I haven't done a project with that, but maybe I should.  I think you're right though, there should be more projects with them.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

2Loud
(@2loud)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Now figuring out which crossover is best. Rc, Lc, simple 12db, zobel, or notch. What a graph shows verses actual sound can empty your pockets trying to come up with the best sounding one. That’s where I get lost. Where do you start?

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

I moved the topic to DIY speakers, since that is really what we are talking about here.  

Do you have any measurement equipment? If not, I would start by purchasing an inexpensive microphone like the Umik-1 and picking up DATS to measure your impedance.  If you don't want to go that route, I would suggest seeing if someone is in your area that has it.  Getting good measurements is the first step to any crossover design.  The order will really be dependent on those measurements. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Eminent Member Registered

Posted by: @123toid

I moved the topic to DIY speakers, since that is really what we are talking about here.  

Do you have any measurement equipment? If not, I would start by purchasing an inexpensive microphone like the Umik-1 and picking up DATS to measure your impedance.  If you don't want to go that route, I would suggest seeing if someone is in your area that has it.  Getting good measurements is the first step to any crossover design.  The order will really be dependent on those measurements. 

I picked my Umik-1 up at https://www.cross-spectrum.com/. Was wondering if you had heard of them or had any opinion of them? I bought from them due to good reviews at where I found them and the additional calibration seemed to do quite well when I used it to setup my cheap home theater system when I bought it.

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: