Wine Stave Speakers  

RSS

cjwest10
(@cjwest10)
New Member Registered
02/07/2019 8:20 pm  

I acquired some old wine barrel staves awhile back that I’ve been plotting to turn into a pretty cool speaker.  I cut the staves in half and glued them up to get an idea of what the final version will look like.  My plan (unless someone talks me out of it) is to install a subwoofer, mid-range, and tweeter.  I’ll fabricate the box out of MDF once I pick the speakers so that it can be appropriately sized.  My question centers around the best speakers for the project.  I’ve considered everything from budget options to Wavecor.  I’m just wondering if Wavecor speakers are good enough to justify double the cost, especially for a newbie speaker maker?

Plan A = $262.98

• Wavecor TW030WA02 30mm Textile Dome Neodymium Tweeter
  • Wavecor WF090WA01 3-1/2" Paper Cone Mid-Woofer 4 Ohm
  • Wavecor SW146WA01 5-3/4" Balanced Drive Paper Cone Subwoofer 4 Ohm
  • TPS3116D2 Class D 2.1 Bluetooth 4.0 Amplifier Board 2 x 50W + 100W with Filter and Volume Controls

Plan B = $135.24

• Tang Band W5-1138SMF 5-1/4" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker
  • Dayton Audio ND91-4 3-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Neo Driver 4 Ohm
  • Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter
  • TPS3116D2 Class D 2.1 Bluetooth 4.0 Amplifier Board 2 x 50W + 100W with Filter and Volume Controls

So these are the two options that I came up with.  Did I mention I'm a newbie?  I'm very open to suggestions for a different configuration.  Thanks in advance!

IMG 1147 2

(the sanding disk is my placeholder for the woofer)

Douglas Blake
(@douglas-blake)
Estimable Member Registered
02/07/2019 9:03 pm  

You may want to give this video a watch ...

Towards the end he discusses compound cabinet materials in some depth.

The problem you might (not "will") have is that the barrel staves can have their own sound characteristics that might colour the final output.  Layering MDF with other woods can be a bit tricky but this guy seems to have it figured out.

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Estimable Member Admin
02/07/2019 11:04 pm  
Posted by: cjwest10

I acquired some old wine barrel staves awhile back that I’ve been plotting to turn into a pretty cool speaker.  I cut the staves in half and glued them up to get an idea of what the final version will look like.  My plan (unless someone talks me out of it) is to install a subwoofer, mid-range, and tweeter.  I’ll fabricate the box out of MDF once I pick the speakers so that it can be appropriately sized.  My question centers around the best speakers for the project.  I’ve considered everything from budget options to Wavecor.  I’m just wondering if Wavecor speakers are good enough to justify double the cost, especially for a newbie speaker maker?

Plan A = $262.98

• Wavecor TW030WA02 30mm Textile Dome Neodymium Tweeter
  • Wavecor WF090WA01 3-1/2" Paper Cone Mid-Woofer 4 Ohm
  • Wavecor SW146WA01 5-3/4" Balanced Drive Paper Cone Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Plan B = $135.24

• Tang Band W5-1138SMF 5-1/4" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker
  • Dayton Audio ND91-4 3-1/2" Aluminum Cone Full-Range Neo Driver 4 Ohm
  • Peerless by Tymphany BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter

So these are the two options that I came up with.  Did I mention I'm a newbie?  I'm very open to suggestions for a different configuration.  Thanks in advance!

IMG 1147 2

(the sanding disk is my placeholder for the woofer)

Man that is a tough decision.  Those are both really great options.  I love wavecor, but if you want lowend bass, you can never go wrong witht he W5.  What I would say though, is if you choose the W5, I would go with a different midrange than the ND91.  They typically are hard to crossover with a tweeter.  So it might be better to choose something like the CF120-4  or the TCP115-4 (which would match the W5 fairly well).  Just some thouhgts.  I like where this is going.  SHould be a really nice project when finished.

ReplyQuote

Share: