Would BMRs lobe at ...

Notifications
Clear all

Would BMRs lobe at high frequencies like traditional tweeters?

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

Due to their ultra-low directivity (near equal sound-power output all the way up to 180 degrees off-axis), do any of you think two BMRs with the same signal, in the same cabinet (stacked vertically), and right next to each other will actually cause any lobing?

I also ask this because BMRs produce high frequencies across the entire surface area of the cone, unlike near single point radiation that you would have on a dome tweeter. So I was thinking maybe a second BMR might just act as an extension of the surface of the original BMR? Just wondering, also thought it might be an interesting idea to share with others since the acoustics seem quite complicated and a bit beyond what I am able to comprehend with the behaviour of speakers in a room.

Another reason I am asking about this is that I'm trying to see if my BMRs can be made more sensitive, but I wanted to do this thought experiment in case it isn't worth rebuilding my cabinets and buying more drivers.

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@diyaudiphileelliottbridge I have never tried it, but I would assume they would still.  They still aren't perfectly aligned either physically or acoustically, so that variance I would believe would still cause lobing.  It definitely is something to try. Of course, if you are trying to increase sensitivity, maybe maybe just do a  small line array for desktop style use.  Or just do an MTM, which will help with the lobing on the horizontal axis. Just spit balling here.  But it would make a cool experiment if you wanted to try it out. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid

I like the way wide directivity sounds so MTMs and lobing are a big no for me so I guess I could do a test, but I guess I'll probably just stick with how they are for the moment then. 🙂

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@diyaudiphileelliottbridge It doesn't appear to allow me to change your actual username, just the name that appears.  I'll see if there is a way around that. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: