Notifications
Clear all

CSS Sdx12 Build

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here are a few pictures and videos of the CSS SDX12 build.  

Pictures of the SDX12 and comparing it to a typical 12" woofer

IMG 3395
IMG 3396
IMG 3394
IMG 3391
IMG 3398
IMG 3390
IMG 3388
IMG 3397
IMG 3393
IMG 3387
IMG 3386
IMG 3389
IMG 3392
20210226 213221
20210226 213228
20210226 213212
20210226 213159
20210226 213144

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ajc9988 liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Build Video:

Thoughts: coming soon.

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)
Trusted Member Registered

Sir, you didn't ring the bell on this one.... you knocked it out of the tower! My head  has been spinning with 'which one and what will do...' so many options, sizes, the qualities of each variation... looking at folded & tapped, yadda yadda... This little honey is spot on what my little room cries out for. It'll be a while before I have the bank to drop (property tax season hear in the North East) Anyway, no more hunting... this is it!  and for a cherry on top... I stumbled upon an Audioholic review of the sealed flat pack... Golden 😉  ... now which amp...lol

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@grumpe1

I am glad to hear that.  I actually unhooked my ISO 100 and amp only running this in my theater right now.  With the passive radiators, it will shake the new theater seats.  Even then, it is so quite.  I have ran this with both my inuke 6000 (older generation) and my crown xti2002.  They both handle it really well.  But I do throw a 4th order high pass on at 20hz, just to protect it. 

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)

A little off topic, but what gauge cable are you using for the CSS sub and how long is the run?  ... and did you use speakON connectors, or post/banana plug? 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@grumpe1 

Sorry this took a few days to get back to you.  I have been on vacation.  Still will be, but I wanted to answer this quickly.  I am using 12ga OFC from monoprice. I do use these speakon connectors. There are cheaper, but these are just the best I have used, so why do anything different? THe length of the run is about 10ft.  Although, when I move my equipment, I foresee that run being significantly longer.   

GrumpE1 liked
ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)

"Sorry this took a few days..."

No worries... kind of you to reply during. Hope the vacation was all you'd hoped for.

I pulled the trigger... almost...lol. Have been learning about room calibration, along with bass management... I've opted for two of the sealed units, rather than one passive radiator.

The living room is the listening room, is my theater room. There's a 75" open arch on one wall, an open doorway into the kitchen where the eat in counter is open... So odd/open as the layout is, having two subs seems prudent.  Also, two 14" cubes will be easier to place...much easier! 4" more for the passive unit didn't seem like much till the measuring tape came out.

For an amp, the Behringer NX6000D's been purchased. I liked the crown series much better, but the cost difference coupled with the ascetics. The Behringer will blend in with the HTPC & AVR. The unit is overkill for my needs... so it should provide a clean signal being used so far below it's capacity. They have a history of quality issues, and noise... but I'm ok with upgrading a fan or making an exchange if needed.

So, the almost part of pulling the trigger... the amp is here, one kit is on the way... and it'll be next month before I order the second kit & amenities. I'll post again in a few months and let you know how much plaster comes down 😉

Thanks for the inspiration!

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@grumpe1 

That sounds excellent!  We just had the CSS SDX12 in a subwoofer competition, I won't give anything away, but I will say it did very well.

Interestingly enough, I used to power my CSS SDX12 with my old inuke 6000 non dsp.  Works great for that subwoofer.  But the crown cti-2002 took over.  However, I am now using that for the mx15, so the inuke might power it once again.  We will see. 

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)

One down and one more to assemble! Had wanted to do a different finish, but after deciding to put SoundPath feet on it... the budget wouldn't cover veneer. In any case, that Duratex is impressive. Way better than I'd anticipated... and even made some aesthetically pleasing cables to keep it all looking semi pro...lol. It's just 10ga zip cord with a sleeve over it... but damned if it doesn't look good. A royal PITA to get that sleeve over it though.

first
second
extras

To be continued....

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@grumpe1 

That's beautiful! 

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)

It's the twins Birthday!

My bouncing bundles of joy sprang to life at a mere 75lbs each. Hungry little devils, but the NX6000D feeds them all they can eat...lol

Couldn't hear them, couldn't hear them... then realized the floor was vibrating as was my chair. Reversed polarity, shifted them about a bit... and now my face hurts from this stupid grin I can't shake.

Took a que from your post, and set a 4th order L/R at 20hz. Did as CSS recommended and put a 6db boost centered at 25hz, Q=1... and put a 1200 watt limit on there... for now 🙂

Soup to Nuts, $1800. That's both kits, amp, SVS feet, 50' 10ga cord and amenities...

Mr Toid, Thanks! couldn't have asked for a nicer kit, or better people to do business with. CSS and their beastly drivers will long have a place in my home... along with my clones 😉

1 Twins

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@grumpe1 

Those look excellent! I'm happy to hear you are enjoying them.  To me the CSS SDX12 is the best sounding 12" sub I have heard.  I haven't heard it in a sealed box though. What are your impressions so far?

ReplyQuote

GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)

First Impression: They don’t sound like subs…. My old sub just boomed, and there was no mistaking the mud it contributed when there wasn’t boom. These Sdx12’s extend the sound down. They just bring all this new sound to the room. Clean & articulate. My mains go 30-20k, and are weak at the bottom. I found leaving them set as Large, and low pass at 100… integrates soooo smoothly for movies. Seamless!

14" cube is perfect for my needs. Even 18" boxes wouldn't have worked. For space & budget constraints, I don't think better could be had.

First impression of the NX6000D is very positive. For a budget amp, it does just fine. The NX software is a god-send. The little screen on the amp would have me cross eyed, but open up NX Edit and it’s all there on the big screen to tweak and set as you please.

The noise isn’t half bad either. I’ve gone to great lengths to have NO fan noise out of my HTPC, so the Behringer will get upgraded but there’s no urgency

ReplyQuote
GrumpE1
(@grumpe1)

Prior to assembling these kits, I'd looked on youtube for a clip just to get some insight. The kits straight forward, but I find it helpful to see how someone else approached it. There wasn't anything, so I broke out the recorder.

I'm better at doing than talking, so you'll hear me call the braces: baffles, and likely other errors. If you can look past my fumbling words... you'll get a glimpse of what the assembly process looks like.

Anyway, one clip is the assembly of the box. Another is how the driver & box were mated, and a third installing the SoundPath feet. By no means is this a 'how to' it's just sharing my journey.

assembly

driver install

SoundPath

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: