Notifications
Clear all

Cube Cubed lives again  

RSS

ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Trusted Member Registered
19/02/2020 6:25 pm  

So this is the Cube Cubed by @123Toid - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2900041-cube-cubed-passive-radiator-sub-build.html#post54364025

And here is my build log:

1)  Acquire parts preassembled by 123Toid just missing an SA100 amp:

2) install an SA100 amp:

3) BASS!!

I then tested this with the Dolby Amaze Atmos test file.

It sounded good for it's size, but I was able to reach max excursion without too much effort (I don't have the 30hz filters mentioned).

Then I tested it against some larger subs I have and came to my likely foregone conclusion that to me the bigger/more powerful the sub the better.  The infinity BU2 has a 12" woofer and sounded deeper and more powerful with it's 100w.  I still like my RW-12D better and it is unfairly still a 12" woofer, but has a lot more power =)

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/02/2020 10:40 pm  

are absolutely correct, in the klipsch will be much more powerful.  It is a really fun sub for the price, but there are definitely better out there, especially if you pay a little more.  What is the saying, "There is no replacement for displacement."  

I am glad to see it alive again.  It really was a fun little build.  You may want to check for air leaks around the passive radiators.  From removing them and reinstalling them, they may have gotten some leaks. 

Now you can have subs everywhere. 😀 

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
20/02/2020 4:50 pm  

I tend to think forced induction is the replacement for displacement, you've been in a 2.5 liter car of mine right?  It would be cool if passive radiators worked like forced induction!

I should definitely check it for leaks, and see about a 30hz filter and it could be a seat for the outdoor movie nights.  Upholstered subwoofer ottoman.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
21/02/2020 11:38 pm  

@imcokeman

Haha, I laughed immediately when you said that.  An outdoor ottoman would be pretty sweet.

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
23/02/2020 8:16 pm  

@123toid is there a way to make a line level 30hz crossover without spending $30 on 2 of those rca ones?

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
24/02/2020 1:48 pm  

I take it you want that for line in and line out levels, and to be high pass (cut the frequencies under 30 Hz).

This can be done with RC circuits, either passive or active, depends on what you are most comfortable.

I'm out at the moment, and then have to finish work, but if you get back a little later, I can try to find / come up with something suitable.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
24/02/2020 6:08 pm  

I think anything other than that Dolby Amaze test sound track is fine on it, the Bass lines and thunder in some other movies can come in clear even when loud enough to be higher volume than the rest of the track.  I think based on that excursion chart in Toid's other thread it's just that the amaze trailer goes WAY low hz for feel the rumble at HIGH volume and really tests the sub past it's peak.  

Seems not to be leaking as pushing on one radiator pushes out other and driver and it stays.

I probably don't "need" the 30hz filters for typical movie scenes from what I'm seeing, but if I'm testing, I'm gonna test it hard =)  Although it would be a good way for me to test an easier crossover/filter build I'm thinking too.

It does definitely sound clean though and I love that!  

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
24/02/2020 11:07 pm  

@imcokeman

I've never made one, but what you're referring to is a passive line level crossover. There's a lot of calculators online to figure out how to build one. DF mod that was referred to is a passive line level crossover just built into an RCA.

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
25/02/2020 8:22 am  

@123toid

If I did my calculations right i need 510nf capacitor in series on the positive line for 30hz high pass based on a 10.4k input impedence listed for the SA100. Would that be split to 5.2k ohms if I put it before the Y though?  (coming from LFE mono sub signal is split at Y to feed L and R on sub amp) Then it would be 1 microfarad

I'm using this site for the info https://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html :

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
26/02/2020 1:33 am  

@imcokeman

This is not my expertise, but I don't see why it would split.  The splitter sends two identical signals, not half the signal.

ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
26/02/2020 4:30 pm  

Looking at the resistance from the rca before the splitter to the amp it looks like it's in the 11k range with it off so I'll go with the 510nf value.  Now where is a good place to get tiny caps for line level? I might as well get a few and then I could parallel them if I was off anyway. I'd like to put it in the rca connector and just have like red tape on it to remind me that's my "subsonic" filter cable =) 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

ReplyQuote
TVOR-Ceasar
(@tvor-ceasar)
Reputable Member Registered
28/02/2020 12:42 pm  

You could always look at Mouser, Digikey, Jameco, or Newark as well. They are all well respected parts supply houses.

-Charlie

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: