Notifications
Clear all

Home Theater Build using GRS 12SW-4HE Driver

MartyJr125
(@martyjr125)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

I am wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to get a hold of the New GRS driver. Parts express has them back ordered till the first of the year.. I was thinking of building 2 Home theater build using 123Toids end table design build using those massive 15" drivers.. But I was going to build 2 12" cabinets. Looking for any thoughts.. 

123Toid liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Posted by: @martyjr125

I am wondering if anyone has been lucky enough to get a hold of the New GRS driver. Parts express has them back ordered till the first of the year.. I was thinking of building 2 Home theater build using 123Toids end table design build using those massive 15" drivers.. But I was going to build 2 12" cabinets. Looking for any thoughts.. 

I think those GRS subs look like a fantastic deal. Having said that, I am sure they won't be on par as something like the MX15-22, at least in terms of sound quality.  But they model really nice.  Here are a couple of thoughts. I did a quick video with my thoughts on box size, etc.  Let me know if this helps. 

The 2.5 is based off of a design that Johnny Richards did. Looks like a great option for someone wanting a smaller box. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote

MartyJr125
(@martyjr125)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid  Thanks. If and when they become available I may just have to grab a couple and build some enclosures.. great video by the way.. 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@martyjr125 

I should mention my friend Johnny has some and he seems to like them.  I haven't heard them personally, so I can't give my personal thoughts.  However, they appear to be a really nice budget build subwoofer.  

ReplyQuote

MartyJr125
(@martyjr125)
New Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid  are the Dayton drivers a better choice for the money in your opinion? I built an MTM speaker using Dayton drivers and tweeter. Along with watching several of your videos including crossovers. I thought it turned out pretty good..

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@martyjr125 

Interestingly, Dayton owns GRS.  Well stated more correct, they are both Parts Express house brands. So in a tier system, GRS would typically be their base line and Dayton would be the higher up brand.  GRS is often referred to as a "great replacement speaker". There is nothing bad with the brand or the drivers, but they are typically lower quality parts used.  So they typically won't be on the same level of Dayton, even their entry level line.  Although, this new Sub has really piqued my interest. I would be really interested in how it sounds. My first impression and thoughts are they are really pushing this more for car audio, where sound quality is not as important. 

ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: