Notifications
Clear all

ISO 100 Build - 20hz for under $100

Page 3 / 4

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)
Eminent Member Registered

Getting ready for primer more sanding and hole filling. 2nd coat of general finishes arm r seal. Highly recommend this stuff, thanks nick. Attaching top with glue and pocket screws thru amp hole.

20210308 170500

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

Looking great!  I can't wait to see this finished!

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

Im brain dead after today's work. Posted in wrong spot. Sry bout that guy's. 

Tons of work today. 1st coat everything. 2nd coat once finally built. We hooked it up without securing the top and holy cow it scared the crap outta both of us when lfe kicked in during hill house storm scene. Unplugged and set top piece in glue and finally got 6 screws in it. Im spent.

20210312 201810
20210312 174552
20210312 174423

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

Ha!  That is hilarious! Note to self, don't play the subwoofer without the top on. 😆 

I am really digging your setup.  That is looking really sweet!  I can't wait for you to have it hooked up. Next time, I should have you build mine, so I don't have to 😜 

Really fine craftsmanship.  

Wait, did I misread that?  I thought it said without securing the top on, but them I re-read it....oh well. Not like it is on the internet for everyone to see. 

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

@123toid

Yea. I tried to set a heavy plant on top..... that didn't work. After glued and screwed I played bass sweep this morning. Holy s^$!!. Never felt 10hz from a sub ever outside of transducers in my couch. Then 20hz revealed a ton of rattles in our fireplace! But my favorite and it's sweet spot is 25hz! House shaking! Im absolutley blowed away man! It's super clean as well. I'm taking it downstairs to theater today and 1st play is going to be tron!

It puts my 15 to shame. Great use of 250 watts! A non audio guy at work told me 250 was not going to be anywhere enough for 4 10s. He couldn't have been more wrong. Without any calibration I just unplugged the 15 at 50 percent gain and the iso100 box is set below 50 percent gain so it's super efficient! 

I wanted a 10 foot cabinet but it looks good even at 5 feet! Lol

I got the perfect video! Wait to the end! 

MilTech76 and 123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

Here's the video

ReplyQuote

Robbiedh02
(@robbiedh02)

@lionhrt9 Yoi did a great job, looks really nice!

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

Hahaha! That had me cracking up this morning! Great job on the finish, it looks fantastic! Sounds like you're enjoying that low low bass 😁 

ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

Alright, I have to ask. What 15 did you have?  

I'm glad you are liking it.  I think it is unbelievable performance for the price. Sounds like you feel the same. 

ReplyQuote
lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

Posted by: @123toid

@lionhrt9

Alright, I have to ask. What 15 did you have?  

I'm glad you are liking it.  I think it is unbelievable performance for the price. Sounds like you feel the same. 

I still have it in livingroom setup. It's the parts express sub 1500. I mean for the price it sounds alright. Im actually considering pulling the amp and looking at a passive resonator sub. She's not going for large sub boxes up here. To be honest I'm really digging the iso100 responses at lower hz. And I can tell it's getting better after alittle break in period. It felt a bit punchy at first.  I feel like I've been missing so much from our experience and that includes 2 transducers we have installed in livingroom. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

20210314 193359

Finally got it moved down to theater room. Ran bass sweep from 0 to 60hz and it shook the projector! Ive never seen that! I mean it's probably something im gonna have to look into isolating at some point but it added kind of a special effect to the YouTube video. Lol. I ran audessey thru denon and calibrated iso100 and klipsch 10 that's sitting up front by screen. Im still thinking about getting dsp lf for tuning it.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

It really is an awesome experience getting that crazy low end bass extension, isn't it? I absolutely love that!  I never even thought about your projector shaking.  That is crazy! Is it hung from the ceiling? 

I love the DSP-LF for the price.  It just does it's job.  It is really nice if you have an iPhone, since it auto calibrates.  I still for the life of me can't understand why they have 3.5mm jacks instead of RCA's.  Seriously, who is going to use 3.5mm jacks? anyway, not sure if they changed the cabling that came with it, but I used these to convert the 3.5mm to rca

ReplyQuote

lionhrt9
(@lionhrt9)

Posted by: @123toid

@lionhrt9

It really is an awesome experience getting that crazy low end bass extension, isn't it? I absolutely love that!  I never even thought about your projector shaking.  That is crazy! Is it hung from the ceiling? 

I love the DSP-LF for the price.  It just does it's job.  It is really nice if you have an iPhone, since it auto calibrates.  I still for the life of me can't understand why they have 3.5mm jacks instead of RCA's.  Seriously, who is going to use 3.5mm jacks? anyway, not sure if they changed the cabling that came with it, but I used these to convert the 3.5mm to rca

Yea, low bass! I want to say that most are missing it until you hit this level or experience it in a show or something. To be honest I doubted I would ever be in a place where I could experience that at my house. We do not get this audio experience in theaters at all and that includes IMAX. I mean there's a ton of money in audio right? To get something that performs like this and affordable to guys like me via DIY opens up all kinds of possibilities and you know its solid and the inter workings of it because you built it. I've been inside my lower end klipsch speakers, they do their job but you can tell they need to make money.  I'm obviously totally hooked at this point and so glad I came across these pages to get me started.  As you know, its some work and time but the payoff is there no doubt 100 percent.  Now ive got some of the tools and connectors and what not, I'm pretty set up and comfortable enough to proceed with some more builds!  Theres no doubt I enjoy hifi audio but the price points kinda knock me out of most purchase possibilities.  Some patience and work and incredible knowledge here and elsewhere online and most anyone could be in business!

2 things you already picked up on and I also have issues with the DSP-LF. The apple handcuffs (im a droid/PC guy) and the tiny jacks.  I get the consistent mic thing for apple but the jacks just makes me scratch my head.  So,..... my work issued me an ipad but they've locked it down which is understandable.  Im trying to describe to our IT department why I'd like to use my company ipad to install an app temporarily. They are so confused on why someone would need an ipad to calibrate a subwoofer. LMAO. 

As far as projector, yes i personally installed it on our ceiling into floor joists!!! and I'm as shocked as my wife when testing with bass sweeps, I mean theres other stuff hanging on walls thats rattling to but the energy it takes to transfer up the wall and into the ceiling down to project!

It maybe just perception or location but it seems the 25 and 30hz decibels are louder than 35 to 50 range. This is why i want to get that DSP, kinda like taking control of this project I've got sometime into. Also with the apple vs droid thing, I guess I could just bypass the whole auto calibrate thing till I get access to an apple product, covid kinda put the damper on anyone coming by to use their iphone for now.

Sorry for the ramble, got carried away. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lionhrt9

Yeah I really like the DSP LF for the price. It does help you get rid of those room modes that can play with your bass response. That's a typical range for you to get a boost in the bass region. 

lionhrt9 liked
ReplyQuote

Marcopolo
(@marcopolo)
New Member Registered

Hi guys.  I just found toids YouTube channel and joined here because of this iso build.  I'm clueless about Box design and tuning it so sorry if this a dumbass question but: could a person build it so the drivers are completely enclosed within the box volume and you only have the ports on the outside?  Also, if i changed the box shape(even with same volume), I'll have to change the port config for a correct tune as well i guess?

Thanks

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: