Notifications
Clear all

Possible Car Subwoofer build?  

RSS

DenverVet
(@denvervet)
Active Member Registered
17/02/2020 11:20 pm  

The DINAS build made me ask the question.  Can I build a subwoofer for my car that utilizes my Outback’s rear 12v power output?  I saw a few amps on parts express that are 12v dc and they should be able to power the sub used in the DINAS build.  Have any of you built something like this?

ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Trusted Member Registered
18/02/2020 6:16 pm  

You should see how much amperage or wattage the outlet is rated for.  For example if it has a 10amp fuse (maybe in fuse box) it would only handle 120w to the amplifier so maybe it could run a small sub on a 100w amp. 

From an outback forum they say not to use the lighter jack, but they said a 19amp draw:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/simple-question-powering-a-sub-amplifier.187610/

It should be labeled on the jack or in the fuse box hopefully.  Usually they are for little devices and may not have large gauge wire to them.  Any subwoofer install in a car that I've seen has had the power line run from the front of the car as well as the preamp RCA cables.  This doesn't mean it can't be done, but this would be my main concern of using the jack. 

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
DenverVet
(@denvervet)
Active Member Registered
18/02/2020 7:18 pm  

@imcokeman

From my user manual. 

Use only electrical appliances which are designed for 12V DC. The maximum power rating of an appliance that can be connected is 120W. Do not use an appliance which exceeds the indicated wattage for each outlet.

When using appliances connected to two or more outlets simultaneously, the total power consumed by them must not exceed 120W. Overloading the accessory power outlet can cause a short circuit. Do not use double adapters or more than one electrical appliance.

ReplyQuote
DenverVet
(@denvervet)
Active Member Registered
18/02/2020 7:32 pm  

The fuse is a 20A.  That seems quite large to me.  At 120 watts max, it should be a 10A. (120W/12V=10A) it would take 240W to blow a 20A fuse.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
ImCoKeMaN
(@imcokeman)
Trusted Member Registered
18/02/2020 9:06 pm  

Yeah sounds like the fuse is oversized for the recommended usage, but I still wouldn't overload the wiring =)

ReplyQuote
DenverVet
(@denvervet)
Active Member Registered
18/02/2020 9:31 pm  

@imcokeman

A 50W@4 ohms amp shouldn't stress the wiring.  I'd have to take a look at the gauge of wiring to be 100% sure.  I still feel like this is possible. Worst case, I could use a 12v capacitor to reduce the strain.

ImCoKeMaN liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/02/2020 3:04 pm  
Posted by: @denvervet

The DINAS build made me ask the question.  Can I build a subwoofer for my car that utilizes my Outback’s rear 12v power output?  I saw a few amps on parts express that are 12v dc and they should be able to power the sub used in the DINAS build.  Have any of you built something like this?

It sounds like an excellent idea  I wish I would have thought of it 👍 

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
19/02/2020 3:06 pm  

@denvervet

This should definitely be possible.  It also makes me think about making a conversion, so you could ruin the Dinas themselves out the back of the car.  Then you could have some nice music while playing frisbee, cooking out, etc. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: