Notifications
Clear all

Sealed ~5 cuft UM18-22 Duo - Build Thread

Splinter
(@splinter)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi All,

Figured I'd post my build here for any who may be interested. Two sealed UM18-22 in boxes about 5 cuft. These are rectangular in order to shorten the depth a bit. Really enjoyed doing the bracing actually, took inspiration off some other builders on AVS then adapted it. Perhaps lower profile than common but super stiff. Glued and then screwed from the outside. 

Got the principal construction all done on Saturday, cut the circle for the first baffle Sunday and then attached it Monday. Next step is to flush trim then sand flat all the joins and round over all the edges.

When I built my Cinema 6's I bogged all the joins which added a lot of pain to the overall build, due to insufficient hardner the first coat. A mistake that only gets made once I tell ye. But in the end the join lines are still showing with a 0.25-0.5 mm ridge, so maybe the bog just couldn't deal with climate changes effecting the inside of the speaker.

So for these subs I'm going to try the 50/50 glue and water mixture on all the joins and see how that goes. End goal is to not see any join lines when completed.

Exterior dimensions are:

700mm H

500mm D (measured single baffle)

510mm W

123Toid liked
Topic Tags
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

This is looking very nice!  Thank you for posting it!

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

Splinter liked
ReplyQuote

Splinter
(@splinter)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Completed everyone's favorite part of any build today, the sanding and roundover routing. Got caked in dust but can start sealing the joins with water and glue next. Had a big vacuum up job as my Dad has a knife forging session with a client tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
Splinter
(@splinter)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

The first woofer arrived today. Wow, much bigger in real life than I thought haha. Everyone seems to say that though.

Aiming to get first coat of top coat on this weekend. Ordered 22 pillows from kmart, should be enough poly fill.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@splinter Hahaha! 🤣 😆 🤣  It is so true.  I remember when I got my first 15" subwoofer and was blown away.  The funny thing is you think, there can't be much difference between a 12" and a 15" or 18".  But holy cow it is night and day!

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ReplyQuote
Splinter
(@splinter)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Got the baffles fully cut out along with all the edge roundovers. 50/50 pva and water has sealed the joins very nicely.

20211126 185037

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote

Newegg

Share:
%d bloggers like this: