Racing Simulator Bu...

Notifications
Clear all

Racing Simulator Build

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

This build will probably take a while. But I hope to get it up and running within the next couple weeks. Then I'll take quite a few months to really decide what it should look like.

The original plan was to put a dedicated computer to this simulator. But with the cost of computers going through the roof. I decided to just run it off my computer in the office.

Parts Used

Coming soon

Layout

20210619 223338

I was able to find this old seat that went into a Jeep for really cheap on Facebook marketplace. I like the fact that it came from a Jeep because it has a material that's really easy to wipe off and clean. It's also a manual seat which makes it much easier for the racing simulator.

20210619 223349

Behind here is where the subwoofer will go. I'm thinking of using the voxel with passive radiator. I also am considering using a bass Shaker since I have one available.

20210619 223358

Right here I have cut out some t-tracks. I'm still waiting for the t tracks to come in. But when they do they'll screw down in there and I plan to make the pedals connect to those t tracks so that you can move it into a position that's most comfortable for you.

20210619 223343

The blue tape represents where the screen will go. I'm not sure if it'll mount directly to the wall or if I'll bring it out some. Currently I only have a 32-in screen for the simulator. I had a 40 inch, but it broke in the move. So I'm thinking that I might end up having to bring it closer to the driver.

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

ajc9988 liked
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)
Trusted Member Registered

Posted by: @123toid

This build will probably take a while. But I hope to get it up and running within the next couple weeks. Then I'll take quite a few months to really decide what it should look like.

The original plan was to put a dedicated computer to this simulator. But with the cost of computers going through the roof. I decided to just run it off my computer in the office.

Parts Used

Coming soon

Layout

20210619 223338

I was able to find this old seat that went into a Jeep for really cheap on Facebook marketplace. I like the fact that it came from a Jeep because it has a material that's really easy to wipe off and clean. It's also a manual seat which makes it much easier for the racing simulator.

20210619 223349

Behind here is where the subwoofer will go. I'm thinking of using the voxel with passive radiator. I also am considering using a bass Shaker since I have one available.

20210619 223358

Right here I have cut out some t-tracks. I'm still waiting for the t tracks to come in. But when they do they'll screw down in there and I plan to make the pedals connect to those t tracks so that you can move it into a position that's most comfortable for you.

20210619 223343

The blue tape represents where the screen will go. I'm not sure if it'll mount directly to the wall or if I'll bring it out some. Currently I only have a 32-in screen for the simulator. I had a 40 inch, but it broke in the move. So I'm thinking that I might end up having to bring it closer to the driver.

What system do you use? A PC or a console? Looks like a fun little setup. If a PC, aside from issues getting GPUs right now, I can help if you ever need to upgrade a system with recommendations. Computers are a hobby from my youth.
https://hwbot.org/user/ajc9988/

Haven't been too active overclocking recently, and never done extreme overclocking yet (although dry ice with acetone and a blow torch do sound fun, if not willing to get the LN2 equipment; but I have a water cooled server tower with 3 systems in it and 4x480mm radiators in a frame I built, along with a 20" fan blowing through it and an EK Pro manifold with quick disconnects going to each system with each system having its own pump). But it is the drag racing of computers.

Have you ever seen what some people do for flight simulators? One expensive one is to take 4x 60" TVs and put them on end, wrapped around to make them somewhat curve, buy all the boxes setup as the different gauges and controls, and use actual airplane peddles adapted so the feedback can be fed into a computer. More than I would do, but just a thought on the TVs and doing multi-display. But, that is an expensive project for a dedicated piece of equipment (unless you rig it to swap out the airplane equipment for racing seat and equipment, and you use it A LOT)!

Either way, looks awesome!!!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Oh yeah, people are crazy with their simulators. Mine is going to be very low-key compared to most people's LOL. I wanted to be more functional than anything else. I know most racing simulators have three screens, but I'm going with just the single 32 inch. Although I'll probably upgrade that to a bigger screen in the future. 

As for now I'm just going to be using my editing computer. It hasn't Intel i7 with a GTX 1070 I believe. I do plan on upgrading the graphics card eventually, but is whenever graphics cards prices fall back down to earth. Luckily I've run the simulator off this before and I know it runs fine. But I'll definitely take you up on the offer whenever I upgrade. I used to be up on all the graphics cards. But I've really fallen behind in recent years.

I am considering having the foot pedals removable or maybe having a secondary piece on the t slots, where I can just hook up a fighter joystick. I would like to do some airplane simulators again. But I'll have to really think about how I want to rig that up if I do that. I probably will not do the full foot pedal setup. Although I might. I was looking into it it's about $300 for the basic setup with foot pedals and yoke.

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)

@123toid - Well, I have my 980 Ti, so I hear you. I was going to upgrade this round. Just hearing me say that again makes me laugh after how much of a shortage there has been.

For graphics, next round AMD just might put Nvidia on the ropes with that punch. They are moving to chiplets and the highest end card will have 2x 80CU dies on it (think of 2x 6900XT cards on a single card, but no longer done how they used to do for two dies in crossfire on the same card, done like how they do the Zen cores). Nvidia will have about 70% more shaders next round, but I wonder if memory bandwidth is going to bottleneck them. That was seen a little bit on the 3080, 3080 Ti, and 3090.

As for the CPU, I hear you. I would have grabbed a Zen 3 chip, but no stock when I had to buy because my work machine crapped the bed. So I got an i7 10700KF. If I could have waited a month, the 10700K with integrated graphics would have been available at the same price ($300). Might have even grabbed a 10850K with that price drop.

But, I'd say wait for at minimum this fall before any CPU purchases (next year will be better with DDR5 ram prices coming down and second gen Intel big.LITTLE architecture going against AMD Zen 4, which is going to really just smash the doors on performance). GPUs, well the stock is starting to stabilize, but Intel's GPU might only have the power of a 3060 or 3060 Ti, so that only helps a little. Next year and next gen, they think they will have the inventory sorted, and in 2022, TSMC should have the bigger 3nm plants coming online (which should be backwards compatible with 5nm if I read correctly, so it could be a major production increase of both 3nm and 5nm chips, while producing more dies per wafer, and having more layers EUV thereby reducing steps in processing wafers, meaning producing more dies in the same amount of time, etc.).

Sorry, went complete techie/nerd there for a second. Short answer: next upgrade will be an entire platform update, including ram, if doing the CPU, so plan for CPU, motherboards (which cost a lot more now), and a completely new ram standard, so expensive memory. If just upgrading the GPU, try to hold out for next year with AMD, it should shake things up (and second gen RT cores for them).

For the Microsoft Flight Sim, they created another beast! It will take years for PC hardware to catch up to running it well. But there are some updated jet fighter games that also look interesting. And I was checking that out also a couple months ago, until I couldn't buy a GPU. So here I am designing speakers and buying all the equipment to turn my garage into a shop. Lesson: a smart person will always find a way to spend a lot of money to learn things they consider fun or do things they consider fun.

As to the slots, if you are using multiple different peddle types, maybe create a track that can quick swap those out as well, with locks for the tracks behind so you can still put firm pressure down when driving. But I don't fully know what you have envisioned yet, so just random musing. Either way, it sounds like a fun project and a fun time after it is finished!

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

@ajc9988 

Thanks for the input. I'm going to be honest though. I'm still going to use my old Microsoft flight simulator if I put it in this. That game is still really awesome. There's not many games that I could say that are that old that still play that well. But they did a really great job with that. And the best part, my computer can run it with ease 😀 🤣 

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)
Estimable Member Moderator

@ajc9988 

Yep, feel you both. Updated my motherboard and CPU, 2700x, however when I went to upgrade my graphics card the market went... Well we all know how it went... So I'm stuck with a heavily imbalanced system with my 750ti 🤣

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)

@123toid 

Yeah, they can get expensive alright. From what I have heard, bass shakers in those setups can feel pretty localised, a good fairly cheap upgrade would be to get a bunch of cheapish pucks and wire then all together to get a 4ohm mono load through paralleling and serialising the drivers, then placing them wherever you can, even the steering wheel and on the base board where the pedals are. Can't wait to see any updates! 👍

Elliott Dyson - Mechanical Engineering Student and 3D printing & Design Freelancer

ReplyQuote
ajc9988
(@ajc9988)

@elliottdesigns - I feel for you. Even my server has a better card than that (GTX 1660, which is actually comparable to a 980 Ti, funny enough). But I have that card for the more recent encode and decode engine for the Plex server. That is running on a Threadripper 1950X system. I have a binned one that I have overclocked to around 4.2, but daily drove it around 4.1GHz for a good long while.

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I received everything I need to temporarily hook it up. I say temporarily, because I want to get a feel for how the setup is before I finalize it. 

ReplyQuote
ElliottDesigns
(@elliottdesigns)

@123toid 

Looking forward to seeing it!

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

I rounded out some t-tracks. What I plan to do is make the foot pedals adjustable. That way you can move them back and forth depending on the driver. The seat itself will also be able to move back and forth. While I was at it I went ahead and installed four base shakers. Currently the BSA-200 is hidden underneath the driver's seat. I know it's more typical to attach the base shakers directly to the seat. And I might end up doing that. But right now I just want to experiment. If I get a little bit more time tonight I'm going to go ahead and hook up the wheel temporarily. Then sometime this weekend I'll hopefully build the foot pedal adjustment. 

20210702 023605
20210702 024734
20210702 023621

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin
Topic starter  

Well we tested it out this holiday weekend. I must say, at first I was really disappointed with the bass shakers. Luckily, my friend Robbie noticed they cave unplugged. We plugged that in and wow! Those are awesome! You can feel the engine revving and even the rumble strips when you go over them. It's just a whole lot of fun. I still need to build something for the racing pedals and I need to finalize the position of everything.

20210704 191011
20210704 192002
20210704 191954

We have tried a few different games, but my favorite so far is project cars. I own all three, but I really like the first one the best. But no actuality, I haven't actually raced the second one. I do need to install some of my dirt games to see how they are.

ajc9988 liked
ReplyQuote
Share:
%d bloggers like this: