Notifications
Clear all

Crossover design

Ramil
(@ramil)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

Hi all. I’m new on the hifi amps and speakers. I started a speakers project. Selected drives. Dayton rs270p-8a woofer, dayton rs125p-8 mid , dayton nd25fa-4 tweeter. Put all zma info and did the process in the passive crossover designer 8 as I learned on a youtube video. I studied the drivers curves and decided to make crossover at 500hz and 3500hz. I’ll add a picture of the graphic that I got. Let me know how it looks to you. Thanks.

52FCF971 9469 4A68 B1B0 AD880F6BE723

123Toid and hifisven liked
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ramil

Since these aren't real measurements a few things you did not account for.  First is the baffle step loss. Second is the offsets.  You really should be estimating the Z offset, which will give you a better picture of what is going on. But it looks like you are on the right track. 

https://www.youtube.com/123toid

Ramil liked
ReplyQuote

Ramil
(@ramil)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter  

@123toid how do I do that? 😁😁

ReplyQuote
123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

Baffle step loss will really depend on the width of your baffle.  Here is a great video by Impulse Audio which talks about what BSC is 

A helpful site which will help determine your BSC loss is here.

The Z offset will literally be a guess, but you are trying to figure out the acoustic center of the tweeter in association to the woofer and mid.  This talks about the Zoffset:

For this, you could try to measure it based off the physical measurements of the driver, just to get an idea of what will work well with each other.  BUt you will eventually want to take your own measurements.

ReplyQuote

Bayilo
(@bayilo)
New Member Registered

I am trying to upload files so the forum can help with designing a passive crossover, but this forum website will not accept any of the following files: frd, zma, zip, rar, REW data, Xsim...

What type of files are acceptable for submission through this site?

ReplyQuote
Mistersota
(@mistersota)
Active Member Registered

@bayilo You'll just have to upload jpegs of the graphs and we can use a tracing program to convert them ourselves.

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

123Toid
(@123toid)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mistersota

Great call!  He can also zip the files and upload them. Even so, I still prefer to see picture of what is going on before downloading a bunch of files.  He did send the files to me and I uploaded them on a new post he created.

ReplyQuote
Donnie
(@donnie)
Active Member Registered

Toids,

Here are are few pics and link to my Cedar Speaker build using the Dayton Audio RS100 Driver and your Crossover recommendations from your youtube video. The audio quality is much better than the cell phone video I posted. Will hopefully follow up with some better recordings later.

youtube link:

Cedar Desktop Speaker Build - YouTube

Cedar Speaker Sound Demos:

20210428 182434
20210428 182204
20210424 131833

123Toid liked
ReplyQuote

Share:
%d bloggers like this: